Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #400 on: January 28, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »
Not sure what you're getting at.
If we're drawing spurious connections about the list of countries affected by the ban, we might as well go all in and claim that every single correlation is relevant.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 28, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »
Not sure what you're getting at.
If we're drawing spurious connections about the list of countries affected by the ban, we might as well go all in and claim that every single correlation is relevant.
Yeah but the list you put up is most of the middle east and includes Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.  And forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't all those countries, countries that have been at war with Israel in the past?  With the exception of Pakistan.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 28, 2017, 07:52:59 PM »
Saudi Arabia tends to get special treatment from the West for whatever reason. I disapprove of it, but it's hardly uncommon.

As for the rest, fair enough

« Reply #403 on: January 28, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »
The ACLU filed suit today because of the Muslim ban, on behalf of two Iraqi citizens with valid visas not being permitted entry, which they claim violates Fifth Amendment rights.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 28, 2017, 08:01:56 PM »
What kind of visas are we talking about? My B1/B2 visa was issued with a clear disclaimer that it simply gives me the right to ask nicely to be let in - and that I may be denied entry despite having it.

Also, Fifth Amendment? Am I missing something? I thought the Fifth Amendment was about due process in courts. They haven't been unjustly convicted of a crime, have they?

« Reply #405 on: January 28, 2017, 08:13:23 PM »
What kind of visas are we talking about? My B1/B2 visa was issued with a clear disclaimer that it simply gives me the right to ask nicely to be let in - and that I may be denied entry despite having it.

Also, Fifth Amendment? Am I missing something? I thought the Fifth Amendment was about due process in courts. They haven't been unjustly convicted of a crime, have they?

The "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law" part is my guess. They are being held by immigration despite having valid visas, though SCOTUS's interpretation of the Constitution has been vague of exactly what rights are afforded to permanent residents, but it is not none.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 28, 2017, 08:26:08 PM »
though SCOTUS's interpretation of the Constitution has been vague of exactly what rights are afforded to permanent residents, but it is not none.
I'm taking from this part of the sentence that they're green card holders, and not just crappy visa holders, yes?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:29:06 PM by SexWarrior »

« Reply #407 on: January 28, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »
though SCOTUS's interpretation of the Constitution has been vague of exactly what rights are afforded to permanent residents, but it is not none.
I'm taking from this part of the sentence that they're green card holders, and not just crappy visa holders, yes?

That was what my link on the previous page said. Green-card holders are being denied entry if they have a passport from one of the seven countries in the ban. That comes from the DHS (as well as the White House, now).

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 28, 2017, 08:32:10 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/28/politics/2-iraqis-file-lawsuit-after-being-detained-in-ny-due-to-travel-ban/

So apparently one of the men worked with the US army during the Iraq War as an interpreter and was granted a visa.  Another has family who are already in the US as refugees. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #409 on: January 28, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »
Do green card holders or visa holders get constitutional protection?  Thought that was just for naturalized citizens.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 28, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »
That was what my link on the previous page said. Green-card holders are being denied entry if they have a passport from one of the seven countries in the ban.
In particular, I was curious about the ACLU story, which I believe you didn't provide a link for.

According to the ACLU, these two are not green card holders.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 28, 2017, 08:40:03 PM »
Do green card holders or visa holders get constitutional protection?
Green card holders, yes. Visa holders, depends.

« Reply #412 on: January 28, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »
In particular, I was curious about the ACLU story, which I believe you didn't provide a link for.

Gotcha, my mistake.

As far as I am aware, the fifth amendment's wording has been historically interpreted to mean that any person in the US is protected by it. This is bolstered by the 14th amendment, which makes explicit distinctions between citizens and all people, and due process is listed as a right for all people there. There is also precedent for immigrants stopped at the border being due fifth amendment rights.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 28, 2017, 09:03:13 PM »

Gotcha, my mistake.

As far as I am aware, the fifth amendment's wording has been historically interpreted to mean that any person in the US is protected by it. This is bolstered by the 14th amendment, which makes explicit distinctions between citizens and all people, and due process is listed as a right for all people there. There is also precedent for immigrants stopped at the border being due fifth amendment rights.
Ok so EOs are legally binding just like a law.  So it's like if Congress passed a law banning those people from entering.  But they were detained... which is kinda different than just banning, right?  I mean, you can ban someone from entering but not detain them.

« Reply #414 on: January 28, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, but I would think it is different to deny visas to people from those countries versus denying entry to people who already have visas.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 28, 2017, 09:18:37 PM »
I agree with LD - I think them being detained is an issue, but I'm somewhat confident that a visa does not guarantee you entry. I'm no expert on the matter, but I'm basing this from my own experience with US visas and the things the Consulate General told me to be aware of at the time.

Granted, it was something along the lines of "btw, not that this will ever happen haha, but technically we might still tell you to piss off at the border", but still. Immigrant visas may be different in that respect. If they are, fair enough.

« Reply #416 on: January 28, 2017, 09:28:53 PM »
Regardless of the legality, if there are any Trump supporters here that think the Muslim ban should not apply to permanent residents here, you should write the White House and let them know, because that is currently happening, at least until the DHS or the Trump administration clarifies what the heck is supposed to be going on.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 28, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »
I agree with LD - I think them being detained is an issue, but I'm somewhat confident that a visa does not guarantee you entry. I'm no expert on the matter, but I'm basing this from my own experience with US visas and the things the Consulate General told me to be aware of at the time.

Granted, it was something along the lines of "btw, not that this will ever happen haha, but technically we might still tell you to piss off at the border", but still. Immigrant visas may be different in that respect. If they are, fair enough.
They aren't different but they generally need a reason to deny your visa.  They can't just say ... "Yeah, see, I decided I don't like Muslims so we're canceling your visa."

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 28, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »
Trump is spamming me for campaign money for the Republican Party.

I'm like... Wft?  Election's over.  Why are you asking now?

Rama Set

« Reply #419 on: January 28, 2017, 09:54:39 PM »

They aren't different but they generally need a reason to deny your visa.  They can't just say ... "Yeah, see, I decided I don't like Muslims so we're canceling your visa."

Customs can deny you entry because they don't like the cut of your jib, nevermind your religion.