Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #440 on: January 29, 2017, 04:52:32 PM »
Little late here, but virtually all of the protections and freedoms under the Constitution are afforded to persons, not simply citizens. The Fifth Amendment even begins with "No person..." It's part of the reason I'm skeptical about any plans for a "deportation force" somehow cutting through the backlog of illegal immigrants. You can't just round them up and throw them out of the country en masse.
You're partially correct, except illegal immigration is dealt with as an administrative, not criminal matter. To my understanding this hasn't changed over the past decades, so have an old explainer: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2001/09/do_noncitizens_have_constitutional_rights.html

They don't get criminal trials, but there still needs to be some sort of process where people can plead their case to satisfy the due process requirement. That's what slows down the deporting of illegal immigrants, not leniency or a lack of manpower.
It's funny how people who claim to love America and the constitution are happy to throw out that 5th amendment for non-Americans.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »
That's what slows down the deporting of illegal immigrants, not leniency or a lack of manpower.
I completely agree that it's a factor, but surely you will agree that the existence of sanctuary cities is one too. Not trying to make any claims about which factor is bigger since I literally have no clue.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 29, 2017, 05:26:49 PM »
That's what slows down the deporting of illegal immigrants, not leniency or a lack of manpower.
I completely agree that it's a factor, but surely you will agree that the existence of sanctuary cities is one too. Not trying to make any claims about which factor is bigger since I literally have no clue.
I honestly figured that if you were arrested and found to not be a citizen, you automatically called Immigration.  What is the rationale of not doing this?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
I honestly figured that if you were arrested and found to not be a citizen, you automatically called Immigration.  What is the rationale of not doing this?
I don't know much about the official rationales. To the best of my understanding, while it varies hugely between cities, commonalities include "it's a federal law thing, so state/local law enforcement doesn't need to get involved" (even though that argument is inaccurate) plus "it would be expensive to get involved". I'm sure the actual reasons are much more diverse than that, however.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:51:07 PM by SexWarrior »

« Reply #444 on: January 29, 2017, 05:50:01 PM »

They don't find out in the first place. Sanctuary cities are basically the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" of illegal immigration, where they do not look into the immigration status of the people there in an attempt to not have to report them. Federal statute requires their reporting, but does not require the collection of that information, to my knowledge. That is a state issue. I don't agree with that sentiment, but that's the rationale.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 29, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »
There's also the concern that illegal immigrants will start avoiding the police if they know that any contact with them could lead to their immigration status being questioned.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »
According to The Hill, Trump has removed the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the Director of National Intelligence from the National Security Council and instead appointed Steve Bannon and Chief of Staff Reince Priebus as permanent members.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:12:57 PM by trekky0623 »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 29, 2017, 06:19:21 PM »
And who here thinks that was a good idea?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 30, 2017, 06:11:38 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/al-qaeda-kentucky-us-dozens-terrorists-country-refugees/story?id=20931131

So apparently not only has terrorists come to the us from Iraq as refugees, but Obama did (sorta) ban refugees for 6 months.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 30, 2017, 08:03:50 AM »
Yeah, but that's okay. That was Obama, not HITLER

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2017, 11:15:40 AM »
Yeah, but that's okay. That was Obama, not HITLER

It really is all about execution.
Obama did it in a way that no one will really notice.  Trump just blunt.  He lacks sublty.  He demands maximum effort immediately instead of easing into it.

He skips foreplay and goes straight for the ass fucking.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 30, 2017, 11:25:18 AM »
I don't think continuously bombing the shit out of the same countries counts as being "subtle". It's a question of what the media chooses to report. His feud with the media means they're keen on making them look bad. Not that I blame them entirely.

« Reply #452 on: January 30, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »
Obama stopped processing refugee applications from Iraq for six months. He didn't stop people with valid visas from getting in and sure as shit didn't detain them at the airport. What's with this false equivalency?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 30, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »
I don't think continuously bombing the shit out of the same countries counts as being "subtle". It's a question of what the media chooses to report. His feud with the media means they're keen on making them look bad. Not that I blame them entirely.

War is almost never subtle.  Can't blame someone for that.  But we aren't at war with those nations, just groups inside those nations.

Rama Set

« Reply #454 on: January 30, 2017, 02:14:55 PM »
Processing refugees is a little different than a ban on entry, but meh.  My biggest problem with this whole affair is how badly it was implemented, not the policy itself.  You can argue it is an ineffective policy, but it is a valid response to a perceived security concern.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 30, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/al-qaeda-kentucky-us-dozens-terrorists-country-refugees/story?id=20931131

So apparently not only has terrorists come to the us from Iraq as refugees, but Obama did (sorta) ban refugees for 6 months.

He had all the visas issued but not yet used cancelled and implemented a more intense vetting procedure. This had the effect of freezing visa applications for 6 months. During which time, a couple of Iraqi interpreters were killed. I'm not sure how much outrage there was in the US but here in the UK it was quite a big story.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 30, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »

He had all the visas issued but not yet used cancelled and implemented a more intense vetting procedure. This had the effect of freezing visa applications for 6 months. During which time, a couple of Iraqi interpreters were killed. I'm not sure how much outrage there was in the US but here in the UK it was quite a big story.

Dunno.  Don't remember.

« Reply #457 on: January 30, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »
lol

Screenshot in case it goes away:

Rama Set

« Reply #458 on: January 30, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »
Oh jesus. 

« Reply #459 on: January 30, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »
obama's ban was a response to a known vulnerability: finding al qaeda terrorists in kentucky via iraq.  if you receive direct evidence that your vetting procedures have failed, then it makes perfect sense to stop issuing additional visas until you can strengthen the process.

lol.  jesus fucking christ.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.