Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 05:03:54 AM »
I can honestly say that my experience with the GW2 community has been significantly better than my experience with the WoW community (which eventually became one of the reasons I stopped enjoying the game).

I think it's just in the numbers. At least, I remember WoW having a much better community server side back in the days. Once things got popular though..

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 05:27:21 AM »
We should make a FES guild in an MMO.
EJ for gm!
The Mastery.

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 05:33:54 AM »
I might give TESO a whirl. I used to love WoW back in the day (vanilla and BC), and I figure it could be pretty good. The only problem is most the people I game with (real life friends) tend to prefer doing stupid shit instead of getting to end-game (read:good) content.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 05:39:40 AM »
MMOs are just like regular games, except they're stuffed with endless hours of grinding before you actually get to play them. Eve Online tried to solve that problem but its still sort of wonky.

I'm waiting on Star Citizen to see how an MMO handles when it has literally no RPG elements like skills or abilities to deal with.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 08:32:31 AM »
I'm not quite convinced all these actors wanted to do this. I think its bread and butter stuff, despite video games making much more money than movies. I saw Clease looking at his watch.

That's the feeling I got as well, which sucks because I love John Cleese. :[ But yeah, it looked like he was just doing it to get paid, the watch glance kind of gave that away. Plus he just all-around didn't seem very enthusiastic, and his line-readings were kinda boring and uninspired.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 08:52:17 AM »
What's with the patch on his head?
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 09:02:10 AM »
>2014
>not having a patch on your head

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 11:21:26 AM »
I might look at ESO after they go f2p Ina year or so.  But that's it.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »
Yes. Might.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
I don't get why checking the time means he doesn't care about what he's doing. Maybe he's got other stuff going on in his life, maybe he has a call he needs to make, or is getting hungry.

It's possible he's doing the bored sassy routine of looking at his watch, but I never much understood people buying into that cliche.

Example: when I was a tour guide I had to be aware of the time as I moved my little herd around the house since tours were supposed to run an hour long and sometimes you'd have the problem of another group running into you. But someone complained that I was looking at my watch in an email. That's how upset they were. My boss told me I had to then secretly steal glances when I turned away from my group so as not to appear disinterested. So that cliche assumption seems so baseless and empty to me.

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »
I'm not quite convinced all these actors wanted to do this. I think its bread and butter stuff, despite video games making much more money than movies. I saw Clease looking at his watch.

That's the feeling I got as well, which sucks because I love John Cleese. :[ But yeah, it looked like he was just doing it to get paid, the watch glance kind of gave that away. Plus he just all-around didn't seem very enthusiastic, and his line-readings were kinda boring and uninspired.

Also, the guy from Spiderman thought his character was such a rich and interesting guy with so much inner turmoil, yet couldn't remember the line that captured the essence of this character. It's like a bad answer to the interview question "Tell me why you want to work for this company?".

I understand their apathy. It's the same reason why movie actors go back to stage acting:
In a theatre you have an actual audience and other actors who are acting right now, and you can't screw it up. Oh my! Then the after show party! Woo!
In movies there's you in a green suit with some white bobbles on it, and maybe a stand-in reading lines back to you from behind the camera, but that's OK cos at least you get to walk around and meet a few of the cast for the big scenes. Scenes might have to be recorded many times, but that's OK because the director might let you throw a few "interpretations" in. The catering is probably OK too.
In video game voice over, there's you in a dark recording studio, a script and a recording technician in a room next door. You will spend whole days reading variations of "Hmm, this door is locked from the other side". Bring your own sandwiches.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 01:12:41 PM »

I'd actually thought about that.  The MMOs I enjoy likely wouldn't fly with the crowd here, though :)

Rama Set

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »

I'd actually thought about that.  The MMOs I enjoy likely wouldn't fly with the crowd here, though :)

There are Furry MMOs?

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 01:50:44 PM »

There are Furry MMOs?

There are, in fact. 

Rama Set

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 02:06:04 PM »
Are those the MMOs you like?  Cmon, your public wants to know!

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »

Also, the guy from Spiderman thought his character was such a rich and interesting guy with so much inner turmoil, yet couldn't remember the line that captured the essence of this character. It's like a bad answer to the interview question "Tell me why you want to work for this company?".

I understand their apathy. It's the same reason why movie actors go back to stage acting:
In a theatre you have an actual audience and other actors who are acting right now, and you can't screw it up. Oh my! Then the after show party! Woo!
In movies there's you in a green suit with some white bobbles on it, and maybe a stand-in reading lines back to you from behind the camera, but that's OK cos at least you get to walk around and meet a few of the cast for the big scenes. Scenes might have to be recorded many times, but that's OK because the director might let you throw a few "interpretations" in. The catering is probably OK too.
In video game voice over, there's you in a dark recording studio, a script and a recording technician in a room next door. You will spend whole days reading variations of "Hmm, this door is locked from the other side". Bring your own sandwiches.
John Cleese has also done quite a few videogame voice overs. If he didn't like it then why would he do it? He can't be hurting for money.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 03:41:44 PM »
Are those the MMOs you like?  Cmon, your public wants to know!
I'll just let your imagination fill in those blanks.  It's probably less boring :)

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 04:27:13 PM »
John Cleese has also done quite a few videogame voice overs. If he didn't like it then why would he do it? He can't be hurting for money.

I think he is. I think his exwifes ran away with the money.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »

That's just John Cleese all round those these days, If it wasn't for his divorce he'd still be retired.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 06:51:43 AM »
I don't get why checking the time means he doesn't care about what he's doing. Maybe he's got other stuff going on in his life, maybe he has a call he needs to make, or is getting hungry.

It's possible he's doing the bored sassy routine of looking at his watch, but I never much understood people buying into that cliche.

Example: when I was a tour guide I had to be aware of the time as I moved my little herd around the house since tours were supposed to run an hour long and sometimes you'd have the problem of another group running into you. But someone complained that I was looking at my watch in an email. That's how upset they were. My boss told me I had to then secretly steal glances when I turned away from my group so as not to appear disinterested. So that cliche assumption seems so baseless and empty to me.

That's true but, like I said, that's not the only reason I think he seems bored. Just look at his overall demeanor and his readings. John Cleese is not that uninspired of an actor. When John Cleese acts it's delightful, but those readings sounds very by-the-numbers and a little unprofessional. They're, sadly, exactly what I would expect to hear in an Elder Scrolls game. So unless they told him to sound bored...

Surprisingly, he is. I watch him in interviews and stuff (was just earlier today) and, like fappenhosen said, his ex-wife took literally all his money. He had to go on tour again just to get some money to live off of. I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he was just doing this to earn more. Or maybe he did want to do it but ended up bored still, I dunno. Maybe they picked terrible points to film, but he just seems like he doesn't really want to be there and isn't enjoying himself.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.