Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2017, 12:01:56 PM »
I can't believe SexWarrior would be naïve enough to think Trump is posting "for the lulz". It is pretty obvious that he tweets to control media narratives or misdirect attention away from other things, and as such it is important to pay attention to his tweets even when they are shitposts.
Well, you'd be right, given that I explicitly stated this:

Taking Trump's Twitter ramblings as official statements from the campaign is nuts. He's trolling the shit out of everyone, and people giving it legitimacy means he can use it as a distraction tactic.

Trekky, you're not responding to what I'm saying. You've built a strawman around the idea of "people shouldn't take @realdonaldtrump seriously" and filled in the gaps in your understanding of my position with your own imagination. That's no way to reach a constructive dialogue. If you want to dismantle my position, you have to read it first, and if there are things I haven't sufficiently clarified, please ask.

Twitter, like any sort of medium, can be used both for shitposting and for serious communication. The White House uses Twitter seriously, and Trump can too.
He can, but he isn't. Breitbart and BuzzFeed can engage in ethical journalism, but they don't. Fox News can give due credibility to both sides of the political discourse, but they don't. How a medium can be used doesn't necessarily translate into how a medium is used.

Say some of what Trump posts is shitposting nonsense, which yea, it probably is. But by his own admission, he also uses Twitter for serious communication to supporters and the public alike, so it is best to assume what he says there is serious unless shown otherwise precisely because he is the president. If he says something serious, and we assume its shitposting, he has power other trolls do not to enact his intentions on a global scale.
Does he? Unless he pulls an Obama and starts issuing executive orders left and right, I don't see how he does. Trump is not Congress.

Also, you underestimate the power of a well-fed troll.

he's the goddamn president, and his words have consequences on the global stage.
Yeah, thanks, MSM. Here's hoping we can fix that mess, with or without you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:05:07 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2017, 04:01:19 PM »
Anyone else watch his press conference?

Yes, I love when he bashed Buzzfeed and called CNN fake news to uproarious applause

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2017, 04:24:22 PM »

Yes, I love when he bashed Buzzfeed and called CNN fake news to uproarious applause
I don't recall there being uproarious applause.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »

I don't recall there being uproarious applause.

Your hatred for the man must have over ridden your sense of hearing

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »
There was applause, from the Trump staffers in the back of the room. You can see in the video that it's definitely not the other journalists cheering him on. I would say that Trump doesn't understand the difference between a rally and a press conference, but it's more likely that he just doesn't care.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:28:21 PM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2017, 05:17:08 PM »
There was applause, from the Trump staffers in the back of the room.  You can see in the video that it's definitely not the other journalists cheering him on.  I would say that Trump doesn't understand the difference between a rally and a press conference, but it's more likely that he just doesn't care.

Oh, you were there?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »
Your hatred for the man must have over ridden your sense of hearing
Or, you know, I don't remember it. 
Dumbass.

But I would certainly not consider 3 seconds of clapping to be uproarious. 

That clip, showing the reporter in question surrounded by other reporters, doesn't show any one in the audience clapping.  So it's likely that politico article (which you seem to be ignoring) is accurate.

But hey, you were there right?  So you saw it?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2017, 07:21:32 PM »
a suggestion for the inauguration festivities:

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »
SexWarrior, I think you're giving him too much credit in assuming he's shitposting. He doesn't talk to the press very much which makes it hard for the American people to really know what's going on. He relies on tweeting and if it's nothing but shitposting then what the fuck. He needs to talk to the press more in that case. But, what he does say to the press mirrors his attitude and words on his Twitter account.

You said you proved your competence which is why people are fine with your shitposting in a professional setting. Trump has not proven his competence and so I would argue doesn't have much ground to stand on for shitposting.

But, HYPOTHETICALLY (play along with me here) - if he were not shitposting, would you say his tweets inspire confidence?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »
Trump has not proven his competence

Really? You don't think saving thousands of American jobs before he's even inaugurated demonstrates competence?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »
But, HYPOTHETICALLY (play along with me here) - if he were not shitposting, would you say his tweets inspire confidence?
I would still suggest that they should be in a different category from, say, press conferences. I think people should be allowed to say one thing on a personal profile and another thing officially in a political position. I don't think there's a single politician in the world whose policy platform wholly matches their personal views. As long as their actions are in line with the official promises, I reckon that's fine. There are multiple caveats and catches to be explored there, but I'll leave it at that for now for the sake of brevity.

Anyway, if he were not shitposting, and if we accepted that his statements should be taken as somewhat official, then no, they don't inspire confidence. They read like disjointed, unedited thoughts of a very emotional person, which is not what I'd like to see from a president.

Rama Set

« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2017, 01:36:07 PM »

Really? You don't think saving thousands of American jobs before he's even inaugurated demonstrates competence?

He only saved about 800 and why would that demonstrate competence to run a country of 300MM people?  Job creation/retention is only one portion of the job.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2017, 02:03:24 PM »

He only saved about 800 and why would that demonstrate competence to run a country of 300MM people?  Job creation/retention is only one portion of the job.
Actually he saved 0.
Mike Pence saved those jobs via tax breaks to the company in question.  This, by the way, is something he could have done at any point in his governorship.

Rama Set

« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »

Actually he saved 0.
Mike Pence saved those jobs via tax breaks to the company in question.  This, by the way, is something he could have done at any point in his governorship.

This is the reason to credit Trump. It was the policy and rhetoric of Trump that gave the deal traction.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2017, 03:42:07 PM »
I wouldn't be so hasty to say he saved thousands of jobs (it was 800 like Rama said).

"Most of that money will be invested in automation said to Greg Hayes, CEO of United Technologies, Carrier's corporate parent. And that automation will replace some of the jobs that were just saved."

Even if jobs stay from being outsourced, automation is happening and will inevitably result in massive job loss across the country.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »

Actually he saved 0.

This is the reason to credit Trump. It was the policy and rhetoric of Trump that gave the deal traction.
No, it was Mike Pence telling his state assebly: do this.  Trump wanted it, sure, but he didn't even save all the jobs anyway.

« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2017, 06:06:20 PM »
lol but didn't trump just say that there are 96 million people currently looking for work?  who gives a shit about 800 jobs?
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »

http://gizmodo.com/rudy-giuliani-is-forming-a-cybersecurity-team-for-trump-1791109633

http://gizmodo.com/the-website-of-donald-trumps-top-cyber-security-advisor-1791145791

The security company's website is currently down.

From what I've read the story is a bit misleading. It's allegedly more of a consolation for Giuliani since Trump didn't want him as a cabinet pick.

Also, at least as of earlier this morning, whoever runs DNS for that site's domain removed the A record and it was still accessible via IP. Not sure what they hoped to accomplish, but if they were going to try security through obscurity then that is quite laughable.