Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
So there you have it, measure a degree of longitude at various latitudes either side of the equator and see if the results match a globe or a flat (AE/Gleason style model) earth. Assuming the results favour a globe, this at the very least undermines one of the flat earth models and Rowbotham's own convictions. Remember, this is Rowbotham's own idea.

In Rowbotham's day this would have been an absurdly expensive and dangerous undertaking. These days we can do it from home for ourselves with google maps, streetview etc. or phone a friend if we have one in a convenient location.

Norwood did this in the 1600s, and all it took was to walk from London to York, measure between, and be in each location on the same day of (in consecutive years) the year to sight to the Sun. Rowbotham came along 200 years later, by which time European and British exploration of foreign territories was well established, surely?

=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

So there you have it, measure a degree of longitude at various latitudes either side of the equator and see if the results match a globe or a flat (AE/Gleason style model) earth. Assuming the results favour a globe, this at the very least undermines one of the flat earth models and Rowbotham's own convictions. Remember, this is Rowbotham's own idea.

In Rowbotham's day this would have been an absurdly expensive and dangerous undertaking. These days we can do it from home for ourselves with google maps, streetview etc. or phone a friend if we have one in a convenient location.

Norwood did this in the 1600s, and all it took was to walk from London to York, measure between, and be in each location on the same day of (in consecutive years) the year to sight to the Sun. Rowbotham came along 200 years later, by which time European and British exploration of foreign territories was well established, surely?

I was assuming that Rowbotham or one of his supporters would have to perform this experiment themselves as they did with the Bedford Levels experiment. This would involve quite a bit of travelling, to the equatorial regions - Africa or South America, neither of which were exactly a day out in the park in the 1850s/1860s and then on to (probably) Australia as well. Quite a voyage to contemplate back then. Potentially risky and certainly expensive. Rowbotham suggests the experiment, but doesn't seem to leap at the idea of actually performing it. It is certainly the case that it's a considerably easier undertaking these days.

Offline Salviati

• I don't have a personal text.
    • View Profile
Hi guys. I'm looking for an experiment that would prove the Earth is flat, so that I could do. I'm hoping I could do it in under an hour, for not that expensive. If so, could you guys send me the procedure? Thanks everyone.

If such an experiment existed I think its fair to say this website and this forums would no longer exist!

It would have to be an experiment that produces a unique outcome that would only be possible to achieve on a flat surface. The outcomes to many of the experiments that flat Earthers like to say proves their belief that the Earth is flat also apply to a global Earth as well. That is the purpose of experiment where two (or more) hypotheses exist.  To confirm one as correct and thereby eliminate the others.

Right now I cannot think of such an experiment but I will certainly research it and let you know if and when I come up with one.

I think i devised such an experiment. The only drawback is it takes six months to be performed, but anyway it is simple and above all it allows to decide between the two hypotheses.

I will describe it without figures, i presume it will be understandable.
From north pole to equator there are 10,000 kilometers. This was measured during the past centuries with the triangulation method, a method that is suited either for a round or a flat earth, so i think it would be accepted from both parties. Anyway the experiment would work perfectly even with another distance.

I live on the parallel 45 in Europe (and then halfway between north pole and equator), but one can adjust the test for another latitude. So i am about 2,500 kilometers from the Tropic of Cancer (it's irrelevant if the value isn't exact; here we are looking for a qualitative outcome, not quantitative). And because there are about 5,000 Km from the two tropics, i am 7,500 Km away from the tropic of capricorn.

Well then, in a few weeks from now there will be the summer solstice, and the sun will be right above the tropic of cancer. In six months from now there will be the winter solstice, and the sun will be perpendicular on the tropic of capricorn.

First case: presuming the sun is 5,000 Km high (on the flat earth of course!), few days before or after the summer solstice i will be 5,590 Km away from the sun.

Second case: few days before or after the winter solstice i will be 9,000 Km away from the sun. (Pythagorean theorem, you know)

A simple trig calculation shows us that if the apparent dimension of the sun during the summer solstice is 100, its dimension would be 62 during the winter solstice. A huge difference that is impossible to underestimate.

This is the experiment: take a photo of the sun around the next summer solstice; wait six months; take a photo of the sun with the same exact setting of the camera during the winter solstice in december.

If the sun gets noticeably smaller the earth is flat. If it is the same the earth is round. Tertium non datur.

There is an important precaution to take though. We have to be sure we take a pic of the real sun, not to the glare/halo of the sun due to the interaction between the sunlight and the atmosphere. Then we have to put a filter on the camera.

This way the experiment would be correct and reliable.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:11:32 AM by Salviati »

Hi guys. I'm looking for an experiment that would prove the Earth is flat, so that I could do. I'm hoping I could do it in under an hour, for not that expensive. If so, could you guys send me the procedure? Thanks everyone.

If such an experiment existed I think its fair to say this website and this forums would no longer exist!

It would have to be an experiment that produces a unique outcome that would only be possible to achieve on a flat surface. The outcomes to many of the experiments that flat Earthers like to say proves their belief that the Earth is flat also apply to a global Earth as well. That is the purpose of experiment where two (or more) hypotheses exist.  To confirm one as correct and thereby eliminate the others.

Right now I cannot think of such an experiment but I will certainly research it and let you know if and when I come up with one.

I think i devised such an experiment. The only drawback is it takes six months to be performed, but anyway it is simple and above all it allows to decide between the two hypotheses.

I will describe it without figures, i presume it will be understandable.
From north pole to equator there are 10,000 kilometers. This was measured during the past centuries with the triangulation method, a method that is suited either for a round or a flat earth, so i think it would be accepted from both parties. Anyway the experiment would work perfectly even with another distance.

I live on the parallel 45 in Europe (and then halfway between north pole and equator), but one can adjust the test for another latitude. So i am about 2,500 kilometers from the Tropic of Cancer (it's irrelevant if the value isn't exact; here we are looking for a qualitative outcome, not quantitative). And because there are about 5,000 Km from the two tropics, i am 7,500 Km away from the tropic of capricorn.

Well then, in a few weeks from now there will be the summer solstice, and the sun will be right above the tropic of cancer. In six months from now there will be the winter solstice, and the sun will be perpendicular on the tropic of capricorn.

First case: presuming the sun is 5,000 Km high (on the flat earth of course!), few days before or after the summer solstice i will be 5,590 Km away from the sun.

Second case: few days before or after the winter solstice i will be 9,000 Km away from the sun. (Pythagorean theorem, you know)

A simple trig calculation shows us that if the apparent dimension of the sun during the summer solstice is 100, its dimension would be 62 during the winter solstice. A huge difference that is impossible to underestimate.

This is the experiment: take a photo of the sun around the next summer solstice; wait six months; take a photo of the sun with the same exact setting of the camera during the winter solstice in december.

If the sun gets noticeably smaller the earth is flat. If it is the same the earth is round. Tertium non datur.

There is an important precaution to take though. We have to be sure we take a pic of the real sun, not to the glare/halo of the sun due to the interaction between the sunlight and the atmosphere. Then we have to put a filter on the camera.

This way the experiment would be correct and reliable.

I support this experiment. This should work in my opinion.

For a quicker turn-around, why not just measure the size of the Sun/Moon at Noon vs a time later/earlier in the day? Wouldn't that give enough size difference to be conclusive?

Offline Salviati

• I don't have a personal text.
    • View Profile
Quote from: ICanScienceThat
I support this experiment. This should work in my opinion.

For a quicker turn-around, why not just measure the size of the Sun/Moon at Noon vs a time later/earlier in the day? Wouldn't that give enough size difference to be conclusive?

Surely it would be decisive. But the difference in dimension is not that big, and in such cases there is always someone that begins to raise hell yelling: 'perspective!' or 'vanishing point!' and the debate never reach a conclusion.
With the solstice experiment i think there would be a hard time trying to negate the evidence (in either case, round or flat).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:16:05 AM by Salviati »

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Have you heard of Earth Not a Globe?

Yes, and I have also heard of a lot of other books of fiction.   What's your point?
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Macarios

Are you north or south of Equator?
Are you north or south of Tropic of Cancer?
What is your latitude?
Are you good at relatively simple geometry?

~~~~~

If the Earth is flat, Sun's path is circle above the ground.
If the Earth is globe, Sun's apparent path is circle around the planet.
You can calculate predictions for Sun's position and angular velocity at different hours throughout the day.
Every flat model agrees with this: for summer solstice Sun is above Tropic of Cancer.
Globe model also agrees with that.

Calculate for flat and for globe for solar noon and every 30 min after until 5 pm or 5:30.
Then measure in real life the Sun's behavior.

Write down how big were angles that Sun traveled during each 30 minutes and compare which model predicted them.

EDIT: Summer solstice is on June 21st.
You can calculate and repeat for equinox and for winter solstice and compare everything.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:56:52 PM by Macarios »