Offline stack

• View Profile
Re: Monkeypox- the best way to attack LGBTQ
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2022, 06:55:26 PM »
Do you know why old religions instituted anti-gay-male rhetoric into their religious texts? Because gay men kept getting sick.

I did not know this. I thought it was just an anti-sodomy thing. What were the sicknesses? Is there a source for this?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2022, 07:29:04 PM »
Do you know why old religions instituted anti-gay-male rhetoric into their religious texts? Because gay men kept getting sick.

I did not know this. I thought it was just an anti-sodomy thing. What were the sicknesses? Is there a source for this?

The source is that I made it up.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2022, 07:51:09 PM »
It is quite frankly annoying that the rest of society has to continually deal with a small subset of the population spreading serious diseases.

I know.  We were all pretty irritated with all the anti-vaxxers these past few years.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2022, 08:34:27 PM »
It is quite frankly annoying that the rest of society has to continually deal with a small subset of the population spreading serious diseases.

I know.  We were all pretty irritated with all the anti-vaxxers these past few years.

One could only wish that the anti-vaxxers were a "small subset" of the population.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2022, 03:31:20 AM »
It is quite frankly annoying that the rest of society has to continually deal with a small subset of the population spreading serious diseases. Can't wait for the next totally-not-gay-disease to crop up that mysteriously affects gay men more than everyone else through absolutely no fault of the gay men.

It could be something as simple as "Anal sex transmits disease easier and guys don't wear codoms when they do because its not a woman."
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2022, 10:23:07 AM »
Just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks?  Great diversionary tactics.

It shows that you don't have much of an argument. Homosexuals themselves have conceded that HIV/AIDS a "gay disease". Any disease which disproportionately affects and is spread by gays is a gay disease.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 10:39:42 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2022, 10:25:14 AM »
Just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks?  Great diversionary tactics.

It shows that you don't have much of an argument. Homosexuals themselves have conceded that HIV/AIDS a "gay disease". Any disease which disproportionately affects and is spread by gays is a gay disease.

Tuberculosis (TB)
In 2015, 87 percent of all TB cases in the United States occurred in racial and ethnic minorities, particularly in Hispanics, Asians, and African Americans.

I guess then, disproportionally, 87% qualifies as labeling TB a 'racial and ethnic minority diesease'?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2022, 10:29:10 AM »
Sure, but that is irrelevant to the fact that Monkeypox in the west is a gay disease.

Rama Set

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2022, 03:57:02 PM »

I’m obviously going to hold you, a bigot who has repeatedly declared homosexuals as immoral and deviant, to a different standard than an advocacy group.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2022, 04:44:36 PM »
Sure, but that is irrelevant to the fact that Monkeypox in the west is a gay disease.
Then why are hetero people getting it too?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2022, 05:50:49 PM »
Then why are hetero people getting it too?

The obvious conclusion is that they were just pretending to be straight but were homosexual men the entire time.

Yes even the women who caught it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2022, 12:22:52 AM »
I’m obviously going to hold you, a bigot who has repeatedly declared homosexuals as immoral and deviant, to a different standard than an advocacy group.

I don't have a problem with you if you are a homosexual. I more have a problem with your denial of reality, the one here being that Monkeypox is clearly a gay disease.

Rama Set

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2022, 01:33:51 AM »

I don't have a problem with you if you are a homosexual. I more have a problem with your denial of reality, the one here being that Monkeypox is clearly a gay disease.

Now who is denying reality? You clearly have a problem with homosexuals. That’s why you insist on labeling this disease as a gay disease even though that moniker holds little value.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2022, 02:09:44 AM »
Now who is denying reality? You clearly have a problem with homosexuals. That’s why you insist on labeling this disease as a gay disease even though that moniker holds little value.

Honesty does hold value. It is a disservice to pretend that it's not a gay disease by avoiding labeling it as such and to force people to read into it to have that knowledge. If gays know that there are gay diseases that they are specifically at risk for then they can avoid becoming a victim. They can be on top safety, avoid risky activity, and be more vigilant about testing for HIV / Syphilis / Monkeypox to avoid becoming one of these people -

Pictured: German monkeypox patient whose nose started to ROT because his undiagnosed HIV and syphilis left his immune system ravaged
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 03:12:00 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2022, 04:06:33 AM »
If breeders think it's just a gay disease they will feel they are not at risk then they won't avoid becoming a victim. They won't be on top of safety, won't avoid risky activity, and won't be more vigilant about testing for HIV / Syphilis / Monkeypox and won't avoid becoming one of those people.

Someone is still stuck in the 80's, the "we must stigmatize" era.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2022, 04:19:23 AM »
If breeders think it's just a gay disease they will feel they are not at risk then they won't avoid becoming a victim. They won't be on top of safety, won't avoid risky activity, and won't be more vigilant about testing for HIV / Syphilis / Monkeypox and won't avoid becoming one of those people.

I didn't say anything about it needing to be stigmatized. Gay advocacy groups have described HIV as a gay disease. It's a description.

Monkeypox is likewise clearly a gay disease.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 04:25:35 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2022, 09:33:21 AM »

I didn't say anything about it needing to be stigmatized. Gay advocacy groups have described HIV as a gay disease. It's a description.

I didn't say you said it needed to be stigmatized, stigmatization is a byproduct of such labeling. You apparently learned nothing from the 80's.  From the UN:

HIV/AIDS and Education: Lessons from the 1980s and the Gay Male Community in the United States
Initially mislabeled "gay-related immune deficiency" (GRID), valuable time was lost in responding to the crisis because most felt safe in the belief that they were not at risk. Since early victims were predominantly gay men, the stigma attached to homosexuality in the medical, governing, law enforcement and ecclesiastical institutions became a barrier to understanding, prevention, and treatment.

Exactly my point above. "Hey, it's a Gay Disease, I'm not gay, so nothing to worry about. Ok, off to the swingers convention I go..."

Monkeypox is likewise clearly a gay disease.

Who is this Lauren Southern character in the video and what expertise does she possess? Oh yeah, I forgot, you sure know how to pick them...

Some academics and journalists have described Southern as a white nationalist for her promotion of the Great Replacement and white genocide conspiracy theories, though she has denied being a white nationalist.[2][10] Southern promoted the Great Replacement conspiracy theory via her YouTube video of the same name, released in July 2017;[11][12][13] the video was reported to have helped to promote the white nationalist viewpoint, having garnered over 600,000 views by March 2019.[11][14] She has been described as an advocate of the white genocide conspiracy theory for her documentary Farmlands (2018), in which she suggested the imminence of a race war in South Africa in response to supposedly racially motivated South African farm attacks.[15][16][17][18]

The Southern Poverty Law has an article on her, an examination of near-neo-nazi tendencies...
Lauren Southern: The alt-right’s Canadian dog whistler

To be expected that your source would fall into the nutty alt-right nationalist bucket.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2022, 12:13:35 PM »
If you can't directly rebut her Monkeypox video and need to spam us with some leftist thing you found about unrelated videos then you really have lost. Posting an off-topic response shows that you don't have any good arguments to what you saw.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 12:53:42 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2022, 01:17:50 PM »
If you can't directly rebut her Monkeypox video and need to spam us with some leftist thing you found about unrelated videos then you really have lost. Posting an off-topic response shows that you don't have any good arguments to what you saw.

*ahem* Thank you for giving no fucks about expertise when it suits your purposes. You talk about honesty yet possess none of it. Lauren Southern also has a history of flat out lying about facts to deliver her polemics to the slavering mouthes of brain dead conservatives. Look in to her agitprop on immigration to learn more. 

Stack is absolutely right that your poor description will lead to more prevalence of the disease. It’s still absolutely telling that instead of wanting the most accurate and helpful description of the disease you have instead chosen to label it using a group that you have in the past labeled as immoral and disgusting.

Have you considered that Monkeypox is primarily affecting men who have sex with men because that was its entry point and because it is spread most effectively by extreme close contact it has been slow to spread to other epidemiological groups?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2022, 01:39:57 PM »

*ahem* Thank you for giving no fucks about expertise when it suits your purposes. You talk about honesty yet possess none of it. Lauren Southern also has a history of flat out lying about facts to deliver her polemics to the slavering mouthes of brain dead conservatives. Look in to her agitprop on immigration to learn more.

If you actually have something to say about the Monkeypox video, I would be happy to listen and respond.

If you don't have any direct argument whatsoever and want to talk about accusations about an unrelated video, then you should do us a favor and keep quiet and know your place as the losing party of the discussion. It is embarrassing for you to have to reply to a video about Monkeypox with a discussion about an unrelated video. Arguing about something off-topic when confronted with on-topic content is a sign of defeat. You don't have any good response to the content of the video.

Quote from: Rama Set
Stack is absolutely right that your poor description will lead to more prevalence of the disease.

The articles by gay advocates who promote calling HIV a gay disease argue the opposite -

https://www.hivplusmag.com/opinion/guest-voices/2014/02/19/listen-hiv-still-gay-disease

When the right wing claims HIV was a gay disease, gay leaders recoiled in rage. HIV, they said, was everyone’s problem. In a big picture snapshot that is accurate. But in the U.S. it’s a lie. The virus is safely encamped in the bodies of men who have sex with other men (a term of epidemiology coined by scientists, which makes trans women — deeply affected by HIV — invisible in the epidemic).

Author John-Manuel Androite says that in the mid-'80s a national coalition called National Organizations Responding to AIDS (NORA) made a decision — a deliberate decision — that echoes even today in how the U.S. addresses HIV.

“What they did was they framed the discussion about HIV for lawmakers in terms of public health; as a public health crisis, not a gay community crisis per se,” Andriote says. “What they did, very intentionally, was to emphasize the impact of HIV on non-gay people, specifically women and children.”

Androite authored the book Victor Deferred: How AIDS Changed Gay America, which tracks the political impact of the epidemic on the LGBT rights movement.

“Unfortunately, the unexpected impact or effect of that de-gaying strategy was that the federal government was very happy to pay attention and focus resources on women and kids,” he says. “But the attitude was still that gay men could sort of fend for themselves.”

Quote from: Rama Set
It’s still absolutely telling that instead of wanting the most accurate and helpful description of the disease you have instead chosen to label it using a group that you have in the past labeled as immoral and disgusting.

Have you considered that Monkeypox is primarily affecting men who have sex with men because that was its entry point and because it is spread most effectively by extreme close contact it has been slow to spread to other epidemiological groups?

Possibilities for why it is affecting gay men and possible future developments is speculation on your part and is irrelevant to the fact that it is a gay disease. All current indications suggest that it is a disease which predominantly affects the gay male community.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 02:50:28 PM by Tom Bishop »