Offline TOSES

• View Profile
Speed of sun above me compared with over horizon
« on: June 21, 2021, 06:56:39 AM »
Hi,

One thing I’ve not been able to understand from the FE theory is this:

If sunsets were just an illusion, and the sun were not sinking but receeding, then surely it would have to be travelling much faster away from one at the horizon then when overhead? Because the sun casts a shadow that advances quite evenly in the middle of the day, but the lengthening of it accelerates towards evening.

If perspective were the cause of the illusion of sunset, surely one would have to grant that the sun would have to be covering ever greater distances within equal time slots as it ‘receeded’, ie speeding up? If it were travelling at constant speed overhead horizontally, would we not see the sun whizzing by at noon, then appearing to slow down as it receeded, due to perspective? And wouldn’t the length of shadow not change much during evening hours?

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
Re: Speed of sun above me compared with over horizon
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 02:22:10 PM »
You'll likely be directed here:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Electromagnetic_Acceleration

for the bendy light explanation.  Under bendy light, the suns rays become more tangential the further they travel.  As a result of this, an equal change in the suns position would cause a changing length of shadow the further it goes from you.
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University

Offline TOSES

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 07:33:45 PM »
Very interesting, thank you. I’m not sure it would equate to the speed changes one would otherwise expect, but I can’t do the necessary 3d visualisations in my head!

But it brings me onto another problem.

On the FE map, the dimensions of the southern hemisphere land masses are (I assume) drawn as close to that which reality mandates - notwithstanding things like Australia’s width:height ratio being depicted as much larger than its actual ratio, and I’m not sure how that’s explained - but anyhow, the thing is, for those land masses to be right-sized, the gaps between them - ie the oceans - have to be very much enlarged. Does the sun speed up as it starts its journey over the oceans, then return to normal speed as it moves over the land, in order to make the complete journey in 24 hours?

Offline TOSES

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 07:40:14 PM »
Also what does it mean, sunrise and sunset in this context?

https://i.imgur.com/0yhkIZN.jpg

hvanmunster

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 12:20:51 PM »
Do you realize that if this bending of light were true, then the flat Earth - as seen from the Sun´s perspective - would appear to be a globe?
This is easy to see. At sunset a large cubic object (eg a huge skyscraper) is only illumunated from the front (if facing West). The roof is not ulluminated since both in RE and FE model the Sun´s rays are parallel to the ground. So seen from the Sun´s perspective, the front of the building is visible, but the roof isn´t. So the building appears to be tilted backwards 90°. This means that NASA´s pictures of a globe Earth are actually consistent with this FE theory!

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 03:48:01 PM »
Do you realize that if this bending of light were true, then the flat Earth - as seen from the Sun´s perspective - would appear to be a globe?
This is easy to see. At sunset a large cubic object (eg a huge skyscraper) is only illumunated from the front (if facing West). The roof is not ulluminated since both in RE and FE model the Sun´s rays are parallel to the ground. So seen from the Sun´s perspective, the front of the building is visible, but the roof isn´t. So the building appears to be tilted backwards 90°. This means that NASA´s pictures of a globe Earth are actually consistent with this FE theory!

On FE, a building with only one face visible from the sun at sunset would not be facing directly west unless bendy light also bends light horizontally as well as vertically.
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 08:10:41 PM »
On the FE map, the dimensions of the southern hemisphere land masses are ...

There is no accurate FE map. The land masses and oceans shown on FE concept maps are known to be distorted derivations of a projected globe map.

As to your question about the sun speeding up and slowing down over the ocean and land. I am certain the answer is: no, it doesn't.
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.