Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
The last post on this whole site seems to be:
I'm for reunification in general, but I don't see it happening. Our setup is a well-oiled machine. It would be nice to get more noobs, but it isn't worth sacrificing how well this place is run to accomplish that. We just have better stuff.

It is true that this site is "a well-oiled machine" and better moderated.

It might also be true that "We just have better stuff", but somehow is seems to have gone to sleep!

You know full well that I am not sympathetic to the idea of a "Flat Earth", nevertheless I believe sites like this perform a very important function.

The rubbish on YouTube shows that most "Flat Earthers" there are simply people not smart enough to understand the Globe and know little of the intricabcies of the Flat Earth model.

Sites like this are necessary as somewhere people can go to get a more reasoned view, and see how the Flat earth model is supposed to work.

Mind you I don't think it does, but that's another story for another place.

I'll climb down off my soapbox and see what happens.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Would the last person to leave please turn out the Lights!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:58:06 AM »
Eh, it's usually slower mid-week around here. Not really sure what the suggestion or concern is.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Re: Would the last person to leave please turn out the Lights!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:30:31 AM »
Eh, it's usually slower mid-week around here. Not really sure what the suggestion or concern is.
I'll wait a bit and see.

Thork

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:59:50 AM »
Unfortunately we are a victim of the technological prowess this site possesses. The IT wizards created an IRC channel where all the regulars who would post the most, can hide. This means they don't have the unfortunate inconvenience of having to talk to new people who come and visit the site. They can just talk amongst themselves. Of course whilst they are all happy, it means anyone new is confronted by a fairly empty forum and doesn't stick around.

We all know IRC kills the forum. However they don't care. They are massive introverts and the thought of conversing with new people doesn't appeal to them. They have their small group of friends.

The main problem with IRC is you can't catch up a conversation like you can a forum. And you have to talk about what they want to talk about. You can't just make a new thread. It makes it very cliquey and unappealing for anyone else to join, especially if you are new.

So what would you like us to do about it, rabinoz?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 12:25:22 PM »
I wouldn't say I'm a massive introvert, but we get almost no newbies. And after so long it gets boring talking about FET with every new person.

I can still enjoy talking about plate tectonics since I know a bit more about geology than astronomy. But when I first started visiting theflatearthsociety.org the Philosophy, Religion, & Society is what drew me in more. Those boards are still relatively active, but it comes down to the fact that we just don't have as many active members as the other site.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:25:49 PM »
Unfortunately we are a victim of the technological prowess this site possesses. The IT wizards created an IRC channel where all the regulars who would post the most, can hide. This means they don't have the unfortunate inconvenience of having to talk to new people who come and visit the site. They can just talk amongst themselves. Of course whilst they are all happy, it means anyone new is confronted by a fairly empty forum and doesn't stick around.

We all know IRC kills the forum. However they don't care. They are massive introverts and the thought of conversing with new people doesn't appeal to them. They have their small group of friends.

The main problem with IRC is you can't catch up a conversation like you can a forum. And you have to talk about what they want to talk about. You can't just make a new thread. It makes it very cliquey and unappealing for anyone else to join, especially if you are new.

You just don't realize that most of the stuff we "talk" about on irc has got no place on the site. If you'd actually figure out how to get on there and stick around for a while, maybe you'd understand.
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 02:25:11 PM »
We all know IRC kills the forum. However they don't care.

I don't know this.  Why do you think this is self-evident?  Wait, I have a sneaky suspicion you are just pushing your own agenda.

Thork

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 03:02:44 PM »
You just don't realize that most of the stuff we "talk" about on irc has got no place on the site. If you'd actually figure out how to get on there and stick around for a while, maybe you'd understand.
I suspect you mostly talk about me. I don't want to ruin that for everyone. Its obviously something that you all enjoy.

Wait, I have a sneaky suspicion you are just pushing your own agenda.
Always.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 10:39:54 PM »
I suspect you mostly talk about me. I don't want to ruin that for everyone. Its obviously something that you all enjoy.
And you feel that we should talk about you here on the forum instead?
The Mastery.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 10:33:06 AM »
Every now and then someone comes here and proclaims the site dead. Unfortunately, the monthly stats never seem to confirm it. We usually oscillate around 2000 posts a month, with occasional highs and lows. This month is no different from others.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 11:58:07 AM »

IRC ... now that is taking me back just a tad... like to 1995 !!
And the days of dial up ... just mention IRC and my ears are ringing the dial up noise https://www.dialupsound.com/
Oh the memories lol!
Don't even have mIRC installed these days !!

But yes...definitely not a "forum" medium, and I'm also wondering if the channel is invite only ???

So the IRC posters (or should I say "chatters") are snobbish introverts ... they don't want to have to deal with the newbies, but they are too "shy" to come and speak to us !!
Because I live on the 'bottom' of a spinning spherical earth ...
*I cannot see Polaris, but I can see the Southern Cross
*When I look at the stars they appear to rotate clockwise, not anti-clockwise
*I see the moon 'upside down'
I've travelled to the Northern Hemisphere numerous times ... and seen how different the stars and the moon are 'up' there!
Come on down and check it out FE believers... !!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 07:56:41 AM »
Quote from: Thork
Yes, that's why our channel is generally only used by a small group of people who knew each other for ages.

IRC ... now that is taking me back just a tad... like to 1995 !!
And the days of dial up ... just mention IRC and my ears are ringing the dial up noise https://www.dialupsound.com/
Oh the memories lol!
Don't even have mIRC installed these days !!
ok

But yes...definitely not a "forum" medium, and I'm also wondering if the channel is invite only ???
I mean yes, things which aren't the forum are indeed not the forum.

What makes you think the channel is invite-only? It's not. Anyone can join, and there's even a Web client available for the less tech-savvy/lazier of us.

So the IRC posters (or should I say "chatters") are snobbish introverts ... they don't want to have to deal with the newbies, but they are too "shy" to come and speak to us !!
In a way, that's probably correct for some users, but IRC users are generally also some of the most active members of the forum, so your conjecture is self-defeating. We use IRC to talk about everyday stuff and make fun of Saddam. We use the forum for longer discussions. The two exist effectively independently of one another. Perhaps instead of jumping to conclusions you should simply give the channel a try and make an educated decision about whether you'd like to be a regular or not? (Side advice: mIRC is shit, get HexChat).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:59:05 AM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume