Why is there a dome/firmament outside earth?
« on: March 23, 2019, 08:21:03 AM »
If it is true, it is disconcerting because it means we are prisoners or someone's property. Why are we prevented from leaving earth and who is preventing us?
I'm assuming many will say God created it but why would he need to keep us from leaving?

If it is ET that built it, i think I would feel scared as to the reason they created a barrier.
Hopefully we arent just an experiment but I suppose that would be better than if we were just property to be used for who knows what purpose or if we are basically imprisoned due to our predilection for violence.

This is a serious question and could be applied to both globe and flat earth theory since a dome could exist outside both.

Offline Jeppspace

• 0 + 0 = 0
    • View Profile
    • YllwChlk
Re: Why is there a dome/firmament outside earth?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 06:08:39 PM »
Whilst I appreciate your concern, it should be noted that the "dome" is only an element of the classical FE model, and until a universally accepted model is presented, is not to be taken as fact.

There are many Flat Earthers with many varying models, all collaborating and sharing together on wonderful new concepts or ideas as to how the world could still function on an alternative "plane", given common established scientific observations.

There are models without domes, indeed my own to be published eventually, so I wouldn't get too hung up over it.

We mostly appreciate the classical model only for its nostalgia and foundational merit that brought forth our good society.

Tidings.
Anyone who would pay Richard Branson hundreds of thousands of dollars for the visual confirmation that we are all doomed to the unforgiving abyss of space, definitely deserves to know that.

: Infinite ¥ : Szion = : Plane

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 06:12:58 PM »
I’d also like to add that the dome need not be a rigid physical structure. It would suffice if it was an equipotential surface, or the dark energy equivalent of a Roche lobe.

The literal interpretation that the plane Earth is encapsulated by an ET snow globe is...not what FEers believe.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

manicminer

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 08:32:39 PM »
Even in RET it is customary to think of all the celestial bodies as being fixed to the inside surface of a sphere of infinite size. We call it the celestial sphere. We don't get any sense of distance in the sky so we can essentially ignore it. The purpose of the sphere is simply to create a coordinate system that allows us to describe position.  So the celestial poles and celestial equator are simply projections onto the sky of the geographical equivalents.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 02:15:04 AM »
Even in RET it is customary to think of all the celestial bodies as being fixed to the inside surface of a sphere of infinite size. We call it the celestial sphere. We don't get any sense of distance in the sky so we can essentially ignore it. The purpose of the sphere is simply to create a coordinate system that allows us to describe position.  So the celestial poles and celestial equator are simply projections onto the sky of the geographical equivalents.

Yes you are correct. We call that spherical coordinates, and it is one of the first things you learn in astrophysics. Spherical coordinates sounds like a good idea for FE too, doesn’t it? Especially with an infinite plane. But that is spoiled with vanishing perspective theory. Not longer possible. In this way FE can work against itself if not careful.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior