Question about flat earth model, sunsetband sunrise
« on: June 17, 2021, 08:14:27 AM »
There is something I don’t understand.
In the model the sun is above.
How do you explain sunset. The sun goes below the horizon and disappears.

Re: Question about flat earth model, sunsetband sunrise
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 02:23:35 PM »
I highly recommend perusing the wiki here!  Just keep in mind it is a wiki, and not a bible.

https://wiki.tfes.org/Sunrise_and_Sunset

In my view the distance the light from the sun can travel (all light in general) is finite.  The two main reasons for this are light’s natural attenuation (because it is a pressure wave) and the typical density gradient in our air which causes light to curve convexly towards the ground.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 10:51:20 PM »
I highly recommend perusing the wiki here!  Just keep in mind it is a wiki, and not a bible.

https://wiki.tfes.org/Sunrise_and_Sunset

In my view the distance the light from the sun can travel (all light in general) is finite.  The two main reasons for this are light’s natural attenuation (because it is a pressure wave) and the typical density gradient in our air which causes light to curve convexly towards the ground.

The bolded bit is dead wrong. Light is NOT a pressure wave.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/physics/chapter/introduction-11/    From the link:

Many people confuse sound waves with radio waves, one type of electromagnetic (EM) wave. However, sound and radio waves are completely different phenomena. Sound creates pressure variations (waves) in matter, such as air or water, or your eardrum. Conversely, radio waves are electromagnetic waves, like visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. EM waves don’t need a medium in which to propagate; they can travel through a vacuum
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 07:00:49 AM »
the typical density gradient in our air which causes light to curve convexly towards the ground.
...which would surely make the sun appear higher in the sky, not lower.
I'd like to see a diagram of how you think light bending downwards would cause sunset.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 08:53:25 AM »
Personal opinions aside, this is blatantly an FAQ question, and OP was pointed in the right direction.

Locked.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume