Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Pole to Pole Trip Cancelled
« on: January 24, 2019, 11:35:08 PM »
There is an eleven thousand dollar flight which supposedly goes around the world from Pole to Pole. A YouTube user named greatersapien set up a Kickstarter and collected 20 thousand dollars from the public to "prove flat earth wrong".

https://youtu.be/QE7b6Os3TlM

He collects the 20k, buys the ticket from the company, his camera equipment, and guess what happened? The company stopped responding to him and disappeared with the money.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:55:34 PM by Tom Bishop »

Re: Pole to Pole Trip Scam
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 11:49:20 PM »
What's the point of this topic exactly, you're just telling us there's been a fraud, do you want our opinions to it or something? I wasn't able to watch the video, but I did look at the guy's Kickstarter page. So the poor guy got scammed, so? This doesn't prove anything in regards to flat earth or round earth. Are you saying this fraud is part of the conspiracy or whatever and it's part of the cover up or something? If so, then there's zero evidence for that, just speculation branching off the fact that the guy got ripped off. Unless you have something more substantive than you saying that's suspicious or that's odd then what I think you were getting at here doesn't really amount to anything.
We are smarter than those scientists.
I see multiple contradicting explanations. You guys should have a pow-wow and figure out how your model works.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
Re: Pole to Pole Trip Cancelled
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 12:36:10 AM »
There is an eleven thousand dollar flight which supposedly goes around the world from Pole to Pole. A YouTube user named greatersapien set up a Kickstarter and collected 20 thousand dollars from the public to "prove flat earth wrong".

https://youtu.be/QE7b6Os3TlM

He collects the 20k, buys the ticket from the company, his camera equipment, and guess what happened? The company stopped responding to him and disappeared with the money.

Flying from the round earth "north pole" to the round earth location known as south pole is a horrible way to provide evidence of a round earth. the First off even if he was able to make that flight how would that prove anything? It would prove that you took a long flight and nothing more.

Even if you were able to prove that you took off from the north pole (which I doubt has any runways capable of supporting a plane large enough to fly that far on any shaped earth) and landed at a place known as the south pole in the round earth model I don't even think that place exists in the flat disk models. For the flat disk round earth model it would be like saying I took off from the north pole and flew to shangri-la.

If you took off from one giant ice sheet what is there to prove that you didn't fly around for 15 or so hours just to land at the same ice sheet you took off from?

Where is the south pole on this flat earth model? Am I incorrect in saying that the 30 square mile area known in the round earth model as the south pole does not exist here?

The 30 square mile area known in the round earth model as the south pole does exist very clearly in alternate flat earth models such as this one:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:38:24 AM by iamcpc »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 12:45:26 AM »
The supposed circumnavigations which have taken place over the South Pole certainly are interesting. Look at what Jeran says about North-South circumnavigation here:

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 01:38:48 AM »
The supposed circumnavigations which have taken place over the South Pole certainly are interesting. Look at what Jeran says about North-South circumnavigation here:

Yeah, seen this before. I really don't know what Jeran is all up in arms about. Is it that the pilot got some sort of record for fastest N/S circumnavigation? B/c the pilot hasn't updated his Facebook page? If he doesn't think he should have been awarded the record b/c of the alternate route he took, he should take it up with the record giving folks. This video does nothing to address the shape of the earth. Plenty of people have circumnavigated the globe. Jeran is just on some sort of bizarre rant.

And as to the greater sapien vid, I really don't see the point of posting. A failed kickstarter campaign (quite common) hardly seems like proof of anything.

There was that Flat Earther guy who pledged to give $100k to the winner of his 90 degree map challenge. Wolfie and our own McToon won the challenge. Flat earther welched. Did that prove anything about the shape of the earth?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 01:44:12 AM »
I really don't see the point of posting

I do. These are all points against the globe theorists.

A failed kickstarter campaign (quite common) hardly seems like proof of anything.

Fraud and false and misleading claims seems to follow the Round Earth around. It shows that it's proponents have continuously failed to provide acceptable independent evidence.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:28:05 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Bad Puppy

• Belief does not make something a theory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 01:48:30 AM »

I do. There are all points against the globe theorists.

A failed kickstarter campaign (quite common) hardly seems like proof of anything.

Fraud and false and misleading claims seems to follow the Round Earth around. It shows that it's proponents have continusously failed to provide acceptable independent evidence.

Well, duh.  It's because the Earth is round, and it's a great way to get money out of gullible flat earthers.  Round Earthers have consistently been providing independent evidence.  But if it supports the round Earth, it seems no evidence is acceptable for you.  I'm sorry you missed your flight.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
...circles do not exist and pi is not 3.14159...

Quote from: totallackey
Do you have any evidence of reality?

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 02:19:51 AM »

Just making "points" doesn't mean they are valid points. Jeran's are decidedly lame. None of which bolster a shape of earth argument. Just a bunch of weak assumptions.

Fraud and false and misleading claims seems to follow the Round Earth around. It shows that it's proponents have continuously failed to provide acceptable independent evidence.

Fraud and false and misleading claims are equal opportunity employers. Regardless of your belief in the shape of the earth. Like I wrote:

"There was that Flat Earther guy who pledged to give $100k to the winner of his 90 degree map challenge. Wolfie and our own McToon won the challenge. Flat earther welched. Did that prove anything about the shape of the earth?"

Does that mean I should write, "Fraud and false and misleading claims seems to follow the Flat Earth around."?  Your logic here is less compelling than it usually is.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 10:23:30 PM »
I recall agreeing in that that the guy with the little mermaid glasses was under no obligation to pay out the money, as the claims were not sufficiently demonstrated.

Usually when your opponent changes the subject and says "well.. how about THIS" it is a sign that you have won the points of the discussion and that there is no need for further conversation.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:32:57 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 11:02:57 PM »
I recall agreeing in that that the guy with the little mermaid glasses was under no obligation to pay out the money, as the claims were not sufficiently demonstrated.

Usually when your opponent changes the subject and says "well.. how about THIS" it is a sign that you have won the points of the discussion and that there is no need for further conversation.

Actually no. You made the claim that "Fraud and false and misleading claims seems to follow the Round Earth around." I said that it follows Flat Earth around just as equally.

The Flat Earther guy with the little mermaid glasses actually disagrees with you. McToon won the challenge and the Flat Earther guy with the little mermaid glasses agreed to send $10k to the charity of McToon's choosing. This is the the Flat Earther guy with the little mermaid glasses trying to find out what charity McToon wants his prize to go to:

And it gets better. This is the the Flat Earther guy with the little mermaid glasses I think attempting to mail the check:

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 11:42:49 PM »
Can you point out to us where the Flat Earth community points to the work of the guy with the little mermaid glasses as their basis of FET?

The North-South Circumnavigations certainly are pointed to as evidence of Round Earth, and such discussions are entirely valid. It appears your counter-argument is reaching and weak. If you can't directly defend the subject-matter then it is a sign that you have lost the discussion.

Even if MCToon did demonstrate his position (which I disagreed with and showed otherwise in the thread in question), and even if the little mermaid guy did accept MCToon's work, and even if he did squelch on his agreement to send the money to charity: Two wrongs don't make a right. You are essentially agreeing that RET is full of fraud and misrepresentation by making that "well... how about THIS" argument.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 12:09:25 AM »
Can you point out to us where the Flat Earth community points to the work of the guy with the little mermaid glasses as their basis of FET?

His 1500 subs.

Can you point out to us where the Round Earth community points to the work of the GreaterSapien guy as their basis of RET?

The North-South Circumnavigations certainly are pointed to as evidence of Round Earth, and such discussions are entirely valid. It appears your counter-argument is reaching and weak. If you can't directly defend the subject-matter then it is a sign that you have lost the discussion.

These maniacs did it.

Transglobe Expedition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transglobe_Expedition

Even if MCToon did demonstrate his position (which I disagreed with and showed otherwise in the thread in question),

Actually, your were shown to be incorrect here: https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=11510.msg175578#msg175578

and even if the little mermaid guy did accept MCToon's work, and even if he did squelch on his agreement to send the money to charity: Two wrongs don't make a right. You are essentially agreeing that RET is full of fraud and misrepresentation by making that "well... how about THIS" argument.

Actually, I'm not. I was never really sure what your claim was in making this post. Was it that an RE guy started a kickstarter campaign to raise money to by a pole to pole plane ticket, it got cancelled due to fraud and...what...? That a canceled pole to pole trip is somehow proof of a flat earth?

Or that the guy, being an REr, you think defrauded people and therefore "Fraud and false and misleading claims seems to follow the Round Earth around."?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 12:37:40 AM »

His 1500 subs.

I've never even heard of him before MCToon posted his video, and I've been reading about FET for 11+ years. Flat Earth Theory does not seem to be based on any of his assertions.

Can you point out to us where the Round Earth community points to the work of the GreaterSapien guy as their basis of RET?

The Round Earth community regularly points to the North-South Circumnavigations as evidence of RET. They were pointing to this around the poles trip and proclaiming anyone could buy a ticket and see for themselves.

These maniacs did it.

Transglobe Expedition

There are numerous oddities on those claims.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:56:42 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 01:32:42 AM »

His 1500 subs.

I've never even heard of him before MCToon posted his video, and I've been reading about FET for 11+ years. Flat Earth Theory does not seem to be based on any of his assertions.

Same, never heard of him before MCToon. He's a whack job for sure. Best I can tell, he believes in a flat earth, NASA is a fraud and somewhat about perspective sunsets.

These maniacs did it.

Transglobe Expedition

There are numerous oddities on those claims.

I got through the first 12 minutes. 11 of which were occupied by the guy ranting about how churches have abandoned the bible, today's women do not act as commanded by the bible, etc. The one point he did start with was his calculation as to how far their expedition ship should have traveled to get to Antarctica. He calculated something like the ship was traveling 8 knots 24hrs a day for 12 days when it the ship can actually go 12 knots. Incredibly weak argument. There are little things called weather, seas. etc.
Is there anything else in the 50 minutes other than scriptural rants that might be considered an argument?

totallackey

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 12:11:48 PM »
Just as the supposed opportunities to fly from Australia to South Africa or South America non-stop.

You have the supposed ability to PONY UP (NON-REFUNDABLE) in order to take the trip...

In reality, you end up getting shifted to a flight with a stop(s) in Dubai/Germany...

So in that case, you do get the flight...

I am happy the globularists got took to the cleaners...

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 12:24:28 PM »

Like maps and measured distances.  Path of sun, satellites etc.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 01:07:38 PM »
Just as the supposed opportunities to fly from Australia to South Africa or South America non-stop.

You have the supposed ability to PONY UP (NON-REFUNDABLE) in order to take the trip...

In reality, you end up getting shifted to a flight with a stop(s) in Dubai/Germany...

So in that case, you do get the flight...

I am happy the globularists got took to the cleaners...
Weirdly this review doesn't mention the unscheduled stop

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1-d10290698-r553470021-LATAM_Airlines-World.html

You can search for other reviews, see how many mention this.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline JCM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 10:14:08 PM »
Why wouldn’t that YouTuber just take a cruise to Antarctica and view the 24 hour sun in December?  This is not difficult, and would cost significantly less then $20,000 and would be actual evidence...  If people were serious about exploring FET, taking a flight from L.A. to Melbourne or Sydney, to Santiago, the next a cruise to see the 24 hour sun would be enlightening I’d expect.  After all, those flights are scams, and there is no 24 hour Antarctic Sun or the military would stop you so why not prove it? Make a go fund me and do it, livestream it...  This really is not that difficult.