Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #720 on: March 04, 2018, 11:18:07 PM »
Speaking of Batman, what do you think about Joaquin Phoenix possibly becoming the Joker?
I think he could do a fine job, but I also think the movie is going to suck, and it won't necessarily be the fault of anyone on the creative side of things, although the premise itself is pretty shaky. If Scorsese is still involved during post-production he probably has enough clout to keep executives from meddling too much, but I would still be very surprised if it wasn't fucked with to its detriment after shooting is done.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 05, 2018, 06:26:11 AM »
Please, when has WB ever done that?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 05, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »
Please, when has WB ever done that?
Moustache League was clearly the product of a single authorial vision.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 05, 2018, 03:15:25 PM »
I'm calling it now - they'll shoot a gritty, grounded movie that downplays the capeshit elements heavily, and then at the last minute WB will decide to go in the opposite direction and reshoot half the movie to add a bunch of Batman cameos and lines of dialogue referencing capeshit. Bonus points if we can see the actors gain weight and the backgrounds turn into shitty green screens mid-scene.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 05, 2018, 03:48:56 PM »
I'm calling it now - they'll shoot a gritty, grounded movie that downplays the capeshit elements heavily, and then at the last minute WB will decide to go in the opposite direction and reshoot half the movie to add a bunch of Batman cameos and lines of dialogue referencing capeshit. Bonus points if we can see the actors gain weight and the backgrounds turn into shitty green screens mid-scene.
And the origin story will be retarted. But other than that, agreed.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 10, 2018, 04:15:58 AM »
https://www.thewrap.com/todd-phillips-joker-batman-80s-comedian-scorsese-king-of-comedy-scorcese/

It's infuriating that out of the dozen or so capeshit movies WB seems to be planning, this is the one that they're so eagerly and quickly pushing forward. On the one hand, it's not really fair to expect them to be cowed by the overwhelmingly negative response online. There's a long history of Batman movies defying fan complaints and making unorthodox decisions (mostly regarding casting) work. But this is such a bad, bad idea, and clearly doesn't have a hint of genuine artistic inspiration behind it. And a year or so from now, when this movie has completely flopped, WB will be shrugging and asking who could have possibly seen this coming.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 10, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »
https://www.thewrap.com/todd-phillips-joker-batman-80s-comedian-scorsese-king-of-comedy-scorcese/

It's infuriating that out of the dozen or so capeshit movies WB seems to be planning, this is the one that they're so eagerly and quickly pushing forward. On the one hand, it's not really fair to expect them to be cowed by the overwhelmingly negative response online. There's a long history of Batman movies defying fan complaints and making unorthodox decisions (mostly regarding casting) work. But this is such a bad, bad idea, and clearly doesn't have a hint of genuine artistic inspiration behind it. And a year or so from now, when this movie has completely flopped, WB will be shrugging and asking who could have possibly seen this coming.

I love The King of Comedy. I also think Joaquin Phoenix is great, but how the fuck is a 43 year old man going to play "Young Joker"? Someone in that Twitter thread suggested Will Poulter, which is a good choice. The way it's going is sounding worse by the minute. Scorsese's involvement is also starting to look bizarre. "Hi Martin, this is DC Exec #71491, we'd like to take your best film and rework it as a Joker origin story." "But that's a terrible idea." "We're doing it anyway!" "Well, I'm not sure I want to be involved." "Yes, but for some reason you are." "Oh, okay."

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 11, 2018, 12:30:53 AM »
tbh a clean shaven JP looks hella young

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 13, 2018, 02:53:23 AM »

They'd best kick Joaquin Phoenix out of the way. He can't compete with this.

No but really what the fuck is this. Tho I'm not gonna lie, his Joker laugh isn't bad. Definitely better than Leto's wheezing.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 13, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »

They'd best kick Joaquin Phoenix out of the way. He can't compete with this.

No but really what the fuck is this. Tho I'm not gonna lie, his Joker laugh isn't bad. Definitely better than Leto's wheezing.
Wiseau's joker is pretty good, Heath Ledger is still my favorite though. RIP

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at Ben Affleck's Batman
« Reply #730 on: March 16, 2018, 04:14:46 AM »
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

A mediocre game with lame, toothless finishers. The Injustice games have done a much better job of depicting savage brutality while working within the constraints of a T rating. And on a related note, dialogue from Sub-Zero and Raiden in Injustice 2 references Dark Kahn and meeting the DC heroes before, suggesting that MK vs DC is canon to the Injustice series. But that can't be true, because the Lex Luthor of that game was his classic scheming self, while the Injustice Luthor was a good man and Superman's best friend. Weird, but it was probably just meant as a fun little reference, nothing more.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/ava-duvernay-new-gods-movie-warner-bros-dc-jack-kirby-1202338680/

This will not happen. She'll drop the project because of "creative differences" or something like that in a few months.

Offline Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 16, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

A mediocre game with lame, toothless finishers. The Injustice games have done a much better job of depicting savage brutality while working within the constraints of a T rating. And on a related note, dialogue from Sub-Zero and Raiden in Injustice 2 references Dark Kahn and meeting the DC heroes before, suggesting that MK vs DC is canon to the Injustice series. But that can't be true, because the Lex Luthor of that game was his classic scheming self, while the Injustice Luthor was a good man and Superman's best friend. Weird, but it was probably just meant as a fun little reference, nothing more.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/ava-duvernay-new-gods-movie-warner-bros-dc-jack-kirby-1202338680/

This will not happen. She'll drop the project because of "creative differences" or something like that in a few months.
The Lex who was Superman's friend was the Lex from the alternate universe in Injustice 1, the 'original' universe Lex still hates Superman so it could be canon.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 16, 2018, 12:27:05 PM »
But Injustice 2 takes place entirely within the alternate universe.

Offline Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 16, 2018, 03:06:12 PM »
But Injustice 2 takes place entirely within the alternate universe.
But there's still the Lex Luthor from the original universe. And if there is the alternate universe, who's to say there isn't more universes?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 22, 2018, 04:12:54 AM »
There is the multiverse, yes, but the dialogue during battles makes it clear that these fights are still clearly set in the Injustice universe, even if they're not necessarily canon to the storyline of the series. I suppose the MK universe might have interacted with a completely different DC universe, and Sub-Zero and Raiden simply assumed that the DC characters were the same ones they met back then,*   but that's kind of boring, isn't it?

*Possibly backing this up is the fact that the DC characters don't give much indication that they know or remember the MK characters, but we have to bear in mind that a voice actor strike meant that almost all of the core characters' dialogue during their battles with the DLC characters was simply recycled from the core game. It's honestly one of my biggest gripes with the game, because the banter between the core characters had been so great.

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/man-of-steel-movie10/Skipped/MOS-Excerpt.pdf

This is a behind-the-scenes booklet for MoS, where the most interesting part for me was the introduction that Snyder wrote, and especially the first paragraph:

The single point at which everything we know and everything we question exists in one place; the ultimate crossroads in the journey of discovering the true meaning of ‘self;’ the collision point of science and religion, tangible and ethereal, physical and philosophical; the place where a question that may never truly have an answer can be embodied in a singular character – in many ways, that is the why of Superman.

That's one way to make a bad movie - treat your main character as an idea rather than a person. The rest of the introduction continues in this vein, repeatedly likening Superman to a god, talking about how he'd impact the world, how he'd challenge our perceptions, blah blah blah. What's Superman like as a character, Zack? His personality? His worldview? His motivations?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/justice-league-is-officially-the-lowest-grossing-dc-uni-1823902130

lol
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:22:10 PM by honk »

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 22, 2018, 06:14:25 AM »
I'm calling it now - they'll shoot a gritty, grounded movie that downplays the capeshit elements heavily,

All this dark gritty realism, its so 2010's,
What we really need is a Batman The Musical version.

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 25, 2018, 04:32:11 AM »
The Injustice games have done a much better job of depicting savage brutality while working within the constraints of a T rating.

Like this:

If you didn't know anything about MK, you'd probably just assume that Sub-Zero was lifting his opponent into the air. But that horrible squelching sound leaves no doubt as to what he's really doing.

It's honestly one of my biggest gripes with the game

Another was the portrayal of Batman in the main story. He's just so bland here, and doesn't feel at all like the same (and much more interesting) character from the first game. The positioning of him as the de facto protagonist of the game whose playable chapters bookended the story was an especially dull and predictable choice, one that I suspect was informed more by worries of fan expectations than genuine artistic desires. We have to make Batman the main character who ends up saving the day or the game won't sell!

And then there's Wonder Woman, whom NetherRealm just seems to hate. They worked extra hard to make her as unlikable as possible, depicting her as an opportunistic Lady Macbeth with none of the tragic motivations or redeeming qualities that all the other Regime members had. Even Black Adam, the evil, power-hungry tyrant, is portrayed more sympathetically than her.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 03:56:06 PM by honk »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 05, 2018, 02:25:16 PM »

Lolwut? Is the idea of a wealthy, troubled anti-hero banging random ladies really something that needs this kind of "symbolic" representation? Especially when the scene it's in already conveys the idea pretty clearly?

For fuck's sake, Zack, that's why you decided to have it be a spear, not Batman! This really is the worst combination of pretension and stupidity.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 05, 2018, 03:00:46 PM »
2deep4u
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 05, 2018, 03:31:44 PM »
Why would he choose the work of a gay erotic photographer to represent Bruce banging random women to deal with his shit?