A potential new moon mission; What would be sufficient evidence?
« on: February 10, 2020, 06:52:24 AM »
So while the new moon mission may be in limbo, it does make me wonder...assuming a new moon mission does happen, what evidence would you require of NASA to start to convince you that what you were seeing was real?  Full, unedited pictures and video of the Earth should be no problem if they're going to the moon.  Would that be enough?  A non-composite photo of the Earth?  If not that, then what?

I have interacted with a good number of flat earthers before and often it seems that any potential evidence you may present is quickly dashed away with claims of photoshop or other methods of fakery.  So if you were the person in charge of documenting a moon mission, what would you demand was recorded and how, such that you would be satisfied that a rocket truly left Earth and went to the moon, that the Earth was a sphere, etc.

I'm a "globehead" but am happy to engage in respectful discussion with those who disagree with my position.  Cheers.

Re: A potential new moon mission; What would be sufficient evidence?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »
I asked the same question regarding the Artemis Project but received little response.  Will FE just consider it another hoax?     

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 11:03:03 PM »
So while the new moon mission may be in limbo, it does make me wonder...assuming a new moon mission does happen, what evidence would you require of NASA to start to convince you that what you were seeing was real?  Full, unedited pictures and video of the Earth should be no problem if they're going to the moon.  Would that be enough?  A non-composite photo of the Earth?  If not that, then what?

I have interacted with a good number of flat earthers before and often it seems that any potential evidence you may present is quickly dashed away with claims of photoshop or other methods of fakery.  So if you were the person in charge of documenting a moon mission, what would you demand was recorded and how, such that you would be satisfied that a rocket truly left Earth and went to the moon, that the Earth was a sphere, etc.

I'm a "globehead" but am happy to engage in respectful discussion with those who disagree with my position.  Cheers.

There is nothing that can do that will convince everybody. I would assume that if a person built their own rocket (to ensure that it was not tampered with)  and they were very well versed in optics (to ensure that if the earth appeared to be a sphere/spheroid/oblate spheroid it was not due to some optical trickery from light) and they were very certain that the rocket had never been touched by anyone else and that individual person went into outer space and saw the earth was a  sphere/spheroid/oblate spheroid in such a way that was not just the refraction of light from traveling through an atmosphere multiple times, through a vacuum multiple times, and through various windows/viewing portals that would convince a majority of people.

The problem with that is that if you believe we never went to space then you would not know what the FE would look like when detecting light traveling through an atmosphere multiple times, through a vacuum multiple times, and through various windows/viewing portals.

Just because something looks one way does not mean that it is really that way:

Refraction makes the _____________ look like a ______________

Refraction makes the left arrow like a right arrow
Refraction makes the flat earth look like a sphereoid earth

Offline GreatATuin

• It's turtles all the way down
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 10:26:29 PM »
I asked the same question regarding the Artemis Project but received little response.  Will FE just consider it another hoax?   

What did you expect? There already is massive evidence from about 65 years of space programs. Hundreds of humans have gone into space, and 24 of them walked on or orbited the Moon. Countless photographs of the Earth have been taken. Thousands of artificial satellites orbit the Earth, many of which can be seen with the naked eye at the exact position they're expected to be, including the ISS, which you can see as a bright spot with the naked eye, but you can also see its shape with a telescope. There are other satellites you cannot see, but you can tell are there, because GPS works, because satellite TV broadcast works, because satellite imagery of every square meter of the planet exist.

If all of this has been discarded as fake and was not considered sufficient proof, what could another mission possible add that would not be discarded as well? A convinced flat earther will just say it's fake no matter what.
Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

you guys just read what you want to read