Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Should you even leave positive reviews on Amazon?
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:11:18 AM »
Twice this week I have been contacted by sellers on Amazon where I have left a less than stellar review, both offering me money to remove my review.

Quote from: Amazon seller
Dear Baby Thork,

I'm glad to contact you again. We have seen your review and we pay high attention to the problem you met.

We have reflected the problem to the manufacturer.

Would you mind allowing us to refund you £10 for both of the mouse pads? If this is ok for you, please let us know.

Any problems, please feel free to contact us, we will do our best to satisfy you.

If you are satisfied with our customer service, would you please remove the negative review for us?

Looking forward to your reply.

So basically they want to pay me to shut up. And this is twice in one week and I've had it a few times before.

Which makes me think, should I just always give a bad review? I'll save a whole heap of money in the long run. I mean, if these sellers are literally buying bad reviews up, there isn't much in the way of ethics going on anyway. I might as well profit. How do other people feel about this shady practice?
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Should you even leave positive reviews on Amazon?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »
How the fuck do you put negative reviews on a mouse pad?
And who the fuck pays 10 pounds for a mouse pad?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
Well first, it is a keyboard mouse pad that is about a metre wide and maybe 30cm deep. They cost £8.99 each.

And secondly I ordered a black one and they sent a navy blue one. So my review said as much. I posted an image, showing that even though the box said they are black, they aren't. But their photos make them look like they are and the box says black too.

What do you think? That's my mat ... and its not black.

So my 3 star review simply said, its a good mat, but it isn't black as promised. You know, useful feedback with a photo.

Now for reasons nothing to do with the seller, Amazon decided to bill me for 2 and they sent two. They are now going to send me £20, let me keep the mats and all I have to do is remove my review. Yes, weird they want to give me £20 when I only spent £17.98 + I get to keep the products, but I guess that is how bad they want to hide the fact their mats aren't black ???
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:56:48 AM by Baby Thork »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »

I have no idea why anyone would need a keyboard pad but whatever.

It looks black in the photo, but I'll take your word for it.
Why did you write that review?  Its an error, sure, but that's like saying "My desk sucks cause I got the wrong desk".  You could have just asked the company to fix the error, which is what they are trying to do. 

Negative reviews hurt, especially if you write it before trying to resolve it.  People will read it and assume all black pads are really blue instead of it being an error in packing.

Unless they are.  Then, well... The review is justified.
Just ask them to send a new one.

As for the morality: I wouldn't.  For the few times it legitimately happens, yeah, fix it with customer service. But don't be the boy who cried defect cause one day, the company may not care.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
I have no idea why anyone would need a keyboard pad but whatever.
To give my wrists something to rest on, to stop things sliding about on my desk, because it looks nice.

Why did you write that review?
So that other consumers know what they are buying. That's how a review system works. I've been saved by other reviews before ... its not a high street shop. You can't pick the thing up and look at it, so you rely on people who have to give accounts. This isn't new. Internet shopping has been a thing for many years now. You should try it.

Its an error, sure, but that's like saying "My desk sucks cause I got the wrong desk".  You could have just asked the company to fix the error, which is what they are trying to do. 
I actually just sucked it up, didn't send the items back ... I just gave a caveat emptor for other shoppers.

Negative reviews hurt, especially if you write it before trying to resolve it.  People will read it and assume all black pads are really blue instead of it being an error in packing.
All black pads are blue, which is why I made the review.

Unless they are.  Then, well... The review is justified.
Why didn't you just say that from the outset?

Just ask them to send a new one.
I don't care enough. I didn't send the other ones back. Its the company wanting to rectify the situation. They contacted me.

As for the morality: I wouldn't.  For the few times it legitimately happens, yeah, fix it with customer service. But don't be the boy who cried defect cause one day, the company may not care.
They don't all talk to each other. Do you know how Amazon works? Its lots of people all independently selling things on the same market place.

Please ... is there anyone else who'd like to discuss this? Don't leave me in here by myself with Lord Dave. I'd like other opinions, not a million questions about a fully explained and easy to understand OP.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 02:08:17 PM »
I legit thought that they sent you the wrong pad, not that they didn't dye their mats dark enough.

Then nevermind.  Your review is accurate.  Take the money.

Also, pretty sure they can search your reviews to see if you give shit reviews alot.

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »
Leaving negative reviews is a waste of time and energy.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 08:37:35 PM »
Took 2 mins ... netted me £20. Another one where I bought a lamp that didn't work well ... they told me to keep the lamp I had and then sent me a better model of lamp for free as well ... again so long as I removed the review. So now I have a better lamp for the same cost and another lamp that now lives on a small table and does the job there.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »
Took 2 mins ... netted me £20. Another one where I bought a lamp that didn't work well ... they told me to keep the lamp I had and then sent me a better model of lamp for free as well ... again so long as I removed the review. So now I have a better lamp for the same cost and another lamp that now lives on a small table and does the job there.

Did you try, like, contacting them about the problem before leaving the review? Perhaps this is just their normal customer satisfaction policy and you're just being a dick by going straight to posting public reviews.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 09:55:30 PM »
Actually in both cases, the problem wasn't enough for me to RMA the product. Because I know that is expensive as they have to repackage everything.

I did RMA the new speakers I got ... they were total crap and cost £90. I got some terrible sunglasses a few months back, real flimsy ... but for £25 I just kept them. I normally would only send back something expensive if it wasn't any good. Those speakers are the first time I've ever sent anything back.

I normally just leave a review. And most of my reviews are usually 4 or 5 stars. If I like a product, I pass that info on too. I have a few quirks. Example. I got an office chair recently. Its really good. For the money I paid ... top notch, worth 5 stars. But I only gave it 4 stars. I knocked a star off and told them in the review, that the amount of bubble wrap, plastic, polystyrene etc was ridiculous and that it would likely end up in the belly of a whale once my local council sells it to China to put in the sea for us. But I think that's good. If people do knock a star off for irresponsible packaging, companies will try harder to make these things biodegradable. Its not a global warming (read hoax) thing, its about pollution and waste management. Apple for example ... a terrible company in almost every way, have to give them credit done very well of late with their packaging ... its mostly cardboard and paper. Little plastics. So if anyone else is choosing a chair and are torn between two, that bad packaging might sway them to take the other one ... less pollution ... companies try harder.

So my reviews are often fair, usually glowing if the product is good, but I do call out the shitty ones. I just feel if they pay people to remove the bad reviews, it invalidates the review system as it makes it hard to see the cons when weighing up a purchasing decision and you could end up making a mistake that could have been avoided if all the feedback was available. I'd rather that than waste the company's time sending something inferior back.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:58:45 PM by Baby Thork »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 10:31:05 PM »
I'd rather that than waste the company's time sending something inferior back.

Are you seriously telling me you think a business would rather have shit reviews plastered all over the world's most popular online store than deal with a return from one dissatisfied customer

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 10:39:42 PM »
Clearly not, or they wouldn't be offering me money to remove them.

But its about averages. If I see something with 700 * 5 star reviews, 200* 4 star reviews and 3 * 1 star reviews ... I put that down to either a manufacturing defect for someone unlucky or an idiot who doesn't know what they were buying. It doesn't discourage me. But if I see mostly 1 and 2 star reviews, I won't buy it. I'm just adding my voice to the average. If I'm the only one, it won't cost them a single sale ... no one will take my individual review seriously. But as a weighted average if lots of people give a bad review, then yes it does hurt them and there must be a good reason for that ... the product must have an issue.

So if I leave one shit review, they shouldn't care. If they have dozens of similar ones, that's a problem. But as a consumer, I use the review section as it is intended. To give would-be buyers an indication of the quality of the product. And if its bad, they should get that warning. This way better products rank higher in online shopping searches and companies will strive to make better products in order to make sales.

If Intel make a crappy processor, youtube reviewers will tell you that. Amazon reviews work the same way. Other people who have had the product tell you what it is like.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 10:52:46 PM »
So if I leave one shit review, they shouldn't care. If they have dozens of similar ones, that's a problem. But as a consumer, I use the review section as it is intended. To give would-be buyers an indication of the quality of the product. And if its bad, they should get that warning. This way better products rank higher in online shopping searches and companies will strive to make better products in order to make sales.

I feel like you aren't reading anything I'm saying. Just try for a moment to imagine a world in which a company cares about bad reviews, not because they don't want anyone to know their product is bad, but because they want the reputation of providing good support to their customers. Now suppose that they reach out to people who leave bad reviews, not to deceive potential future customers, but because they are genuinely trying to improve your customer experience.

In such a hypothetical world, do you think it would be reasonable for you to contact this hypothetical company directly before yelling about their incompetence from the rooftops?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 11:48:37 PM »
ITT: Thork gets upset when customer support tries to make things right.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »

I feel like you aren't reading anything I'm saying. Just try for a moment to imagine a world in which a company cares about bad reviews, not because they don't want anyone to know their product is bad, but because they want the reputation of providing good support to their customers. Now suppose that they reach out to people who leave bad reviews, not to deceive potential future customers, but because they are genuinely trying to improve your customer experience.

In such a hypothetical world, do you think it would be reasonable for you to contact this hypothetical company directly before yelling about their incompetence from the rooftops?
You've not been reading my relies. It is fine to rectify the problem ... but they only wish to do that if I remove the review. Not amend the review ... remove it. They don't care about my experience, they are happy to do nothing if I leave the review up. They are only worried about future sales.

ITT: Thork gets upset when customer support tries to make things right.
Stop cheer-leading. Shoo.  >:(

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »
Quote from: Amazon Seller
Dear Baby Thork,

Thanks for your reply.

Here we have refunded you, please verify the attachment.

We will make better products and after-sales in the future.

Thanks for your kindly understanding to be willing to remove the negative review. The following link is the review. Thanks for your help in advance.

See the emphasis on this message.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »
You've not been reading my relies. It is fine to rectify the problem ... but they only wish to do that if I remove the review. Not amend the review ... remove it. They don't care about my experience, they are happy to do nothing if I leave the review up. They are only worried about future sales.

You don't know that unless you tried contacting them beforehand and they refused to help you. Maybe they would have done exactly the same thing.

Of course they want you to remove the negative review after they've helped resolve the issue you had. Does this surprise you?

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »
And back to the OP. This is positive reinforcement that if I leave a bad review, I might get a refund or money back. If I leave a good one, I get nothing.

So, should I even leave positive reviews?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 11:34:38 AM »
Write another negative review for the same product. See if they offer you money again. Quit your job and become the ultimate Amazon scammer.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »
ITT: Thork still doesn't understand the concept of making things right in order to improve one's reputation.

Screw ups are inevitable.  Don't you think that it's worth letting other people know then when it does eventually happen, customer support is willing do what they can in order to resolve the problem?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.