Rama Set

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #360 on: April 27, 2016, 03:48:16 AM »
as well as the troubling gender politics

It is Game of Thrones.  It trades on rape as one of the cornerstones of it's dramatic tension.  If this is the straw that breaks the camel's back, I would be very surprised.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 27, 2016, 04:08:31 AM »
All of those "gender politics" definitely aren't completely contrived by delusional SJWs. And I can't think of any irrational, villainous male characters in Game of Thrones. Man, we should make an issue out of nothing because we're so angsty.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #362 on: April 28, 2016, 03:49:50 AM »
It might be a stretch, but it feels bizarre that it seems to have turned into a men vs. women kind of thing.  But then again, everything about Dorne in this show is bizarre.  Killing Trystane, for example - first, how the fuck did two of the Sand Snakes manage to teleport to Winterfell to kill him, and second, why bother?  What does killing him actually accomplish for them?  Wasn't the whole point of this stupid subplot that they wanted to retaliate against the Lannisters for Oberyn's death?*  Because now it seems like it's just a regular old coup, one executed (no pun intended) in a very crude, blunt manner.  It doesn't help that Doran and Hotah are both very well-liked characters in the books, and Alexander Siddig proved that he had the potential to be a fantastic Doran in his brief screen time last season - making it all the worse when the two of them were so lamely killed off.  Also, why do the opening credits keep referring to the Water Gardens as Dorne?  I know, I know, this is the geekiest complaint ever, but it bugs me because it's not consistent.  Everywhere else is referred to by the name of the city or castle, not the entire region.  Are they worried about confusing us?  At the very least, they could just call it Sunspear, which isn't entirely accurate in the books, but it's close enough for the purposes of the show.

*Not that Oberyn would have approved of this plot.  As he very pointedly said once, they don't murder little girls in Dorne.

« Reply #363 on: April 28, 2016, 05:17:18 AM »
i was puzzled when the sand snakes got all murdery.  there's clearly a subplot going on with doran in the books that has yet to be completed.  this is one of the reasons i'm not worried about the show spoiling the books.  i think by the end the show will only mirror the books in the broadest strokes.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 28, 2016, 05:43:20 AM »
Is it a men vs women thing or is it a sand snakes vs everyone else thing?  Also it seems to me that even in the novels the sand snakes viewed Doran as being ineffectual to the point of being impotent; I feel like their actions in the premiere make sense (enough so anyway that I'm willing to go along with it).  Arianne's not even in the show, right?  Obviously the storyline was going to be very different from what it was in the books.  It's just too bad Dr Bashir is gone.

I enjoyed the scene with Brienne saving and then pledging fealty to Sansa.  I think that's the storyline I'm most interested in right now.  Arya's pathetic battle with the waif was also pretty good.  And that ending was downright chilling.  Overall I thought it was a pretty good episode.

Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 28, 2016, 01:01:20 PM »
I feel the same way as before about it.

I'll watch it because it is a decent show. But it's not Game of Thrones to me anymore. These guys are awful writers and it seems so thinly stretched that the production quality doesn't even seem like standard HBO.

Like when Jorah and Daario went to look for Dany, it looked like they were in Scotland or Ireland. But the Dothraki walk her (I assume) about a day or two away and they're in what looks like Arizona? Where the fuck are we?!

And did that Sand Snake really think she was going to use a whip in a close quarters fight? Get the fuck out.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #366 on: May 02, 2016, 04:43:35 PM »
Now this episode was more like it.  The Ramsay twist was sudden and brutal, but logical in retrospect - although now I'm worried that we're in for more off-screen God Mode nonsense from him and Ser Twenty Goodmen, based on what he said about Jon.  We finally got to see the Greyjoys again, and I'm glad that they actually made a reference to Balon technically winning the War of Five Kings despite doing very little himself.  Jon's subplot is progressing nicely too, and I like that they did the cheesy "His eyes open!" closing shot.  Speaking of Jon, it occurs to me that because they needed Kit Harington to play his corpse, it would have been very easy for them to just point to that as the explanation for why he had been seen on set, why he hadn't cut his hair, etc., and decline to comment on whether or not he'd be involved beyond just playing the body.  Contrary to what a couple of you were saying earlier in the thread, the cast/crew weren't just (honestly) pointing out that Jon was deceased, they were also saying that Harington's contract was over and he was never coming back.  They flatly lied.

Anyway, solid episode.  Too bad they didn't kill off Olly, though.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 03, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
Yeah, pretty solid episode. The end scene was drawn out a bit too long, I mean.. we all knew it was coming.

I think I'm the only person who absolutely hates Kit Harrington as Jon Snow. I thought I hated Jon Snow, but since I'm going through the books again I realized that I just dislike Kit Harrington and not the character.

George

« Reply #368 on: May 09, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »
This was a good episode.  They finally killed off Olly.  And the flashback scene was pretty cool, too, despite the inherent silliness of fighting so nimbly with dual longswords.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 19, 2016, 03:37:26 AM »
last episode was good
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 19, 2016, 04:02:33 AM »
it was
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 19, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »
I'm pretty pleased with this season so far.

Also, I really ship Tormund and Brienne. They would make the greatest warrior children ever.

« Reply #372 on: May 19, 2016, 07:15:11 PM »
Also, I really ship Tormund and Brienne. They would make the greatest warrior children ever.

George

« Reply #373 on: May 19, 2016, 07:39:58 PM »
This episode was good, but I'm really getting tired of Dany's repetitive adventures in Essos.  She's at least doing things and achieving her objectives, which is more than I can say for how her storyline is going in the books, but it's long past time for her to stop conquering foreign places we don't care about and just go to Westeros already.  Of course, that won't happen this season, because it's far too big of a change in the status quo to be anything but the plot of a new season.  If we're lucky, this season will end with her finally sailing to Westeros, which will drive the hype for the next season through the roof.

Nice to bring Osha back just so they could unceremoniously kill her off. ::)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 19, 2016, 07:50:01 PM »
What's wrong with that?

George

« Reply #375 on: May 23, 2016, 03:37:06 AM »
What's wrong with that?

Maybe if it had been a "good" death, or one that felt nice and earned, I wouldn't have minded, but here it just felt like Item #276 on Ramsay's List of Dastardly Deeds.  Speaking of deaths being earned, the ending of this episode was heartbreaking.  I cried out in horror when poor Summer bravely fell in battle, and then...that happened and OH GOD WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO US SHOW.  I'm in tears now.

Ahem.  The rest of the episode was solid too.  My one problem is the Greyjoy storyline, which is being rushed through so fast that I wonder if they'd be better off omitting it entirely.  And Euron is a real disappointment.  That flabby schmuck was the legendary, badass pirate leader?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 25, 2016, 03:34:56 PM »
I'm not gonna lie, I cried. I guess it's partly because it wasn't in the books yet but that death affected me more than most.

George

« Reply #377 on: May 30, 2016, 04:08:29 AM »
moar moar moar

Dany's storyline continues to repeat itself.  Another rah-rah speech from her.  Another dramatic reveal of her dragon(s).  Yawn.  Sam and Gilly visiting Horn Hill was all right, but I'm not sure if it's really the best use of the show's time.  The Coldhands thing happened, but GRRM has apparently said before that Benjen isn't Coldhands in the books, so remember to keep the two series separate in your head.  I'm most interested by Arya's storyline at this point, and I hope the show really follows through with this and keeps Jaqen and the Faceless Men as antagonists.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 31, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »
This was the first time she was controlling Drogon while in flight tho. And since Drogon is the alpha dragon, we can assume she'll have some control over the other two now as well. She just needs two other riders and then she gon fuck shit up.

I don't know why people hate on Dany and her dragons so much. Why is it a bad thing to have someone that consistently makes big moves, has the strongest claim to the throne, and isn't constantly surrounded by woes and heartache? We need more Stark hate. Those moping losers can't even take care of direwolves.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:08:52 PM by rooster »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 01, 2016, 02:14:56 AM »
This season is showing a lot more dragon than the others. Their CGI budget must have gotten the attention it deserves.