Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Liberal Party leadership spill (aka the end of Abbott)
« on: September 14, 2015, 08:46:43 AM »
So, there's quite a bit of background, but this has come to a head because the Liberal Party is about to lose a seat in a by-election. The Labor Party doesn't even want to win it, because they'd prefer to compete with Abbott in the next election than risk him being replaced, but they're still polling in the lead despite not having spent a cent on campaigning.

Abbott's colleagues have come out in the open and pretty much said "yeah, we know Abbott is a shitty PM". Malcolm Turnbull today resigned from Cabinet and announced his intention to contest the party leadership. Abbott has agreed to hold a ballot in a party meeting this evening. Long story short, we could have a new Prime Minister by tomorrow, and it won't be a moment too soon.

There's some more detailed coverage here, if you're interested: http://livenews.abc.net.au/Event/Turnbull_requests_ballot_for_party_leadership
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:52:41 AM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Liberal Party leadership spill (aka the end of Abbott)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »
The result of the leadership ballot should be announced within the next hour. Tonight we find out how fucked Australia is for 2016.

Thork

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »
Rooting for you Mr Abbott ... good luck

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »
Rooting for you Mr Abbott ... good luck

You don't even know anything about the people involved. You're just trolling, and fairly badly at that.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »

35 minutes and counting. Peel open an onion and bask in your last half-hour of power, Tony.

Thork

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 10:45:20 AM »
I actually like Abbott. His stance on immigration is sensible for example ... it isn't all about liberalism and ignoring financial reality.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 10:46:32 AM »
I actually like Abbott. His stance on immigration is sensible for example ... it isn't all about liberalism and ignoring financial reality.

No. Go away. This thread is a chronicle of the first real political triumph we've had all decade, and you're not going to ruin it.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »
5 minutes until the ballot starts. Not long now until Tony is out of work. And here he kept claiming unemployment was under control.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »
The party room meeting is now underway. Who will emerge the victor? We shall soon see.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
The suspense is unbearable. They're still in there, and there's an army of media reps waiting outside to find out the result.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »
Malcolm Turnbull is the 29th Prime Minister of Australia. So ends the biggest joke in the long and distinguished history of Australian comedy.

And the nation breathed a collective sigh of relief.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 12:01:21 PM »
!!!!!

What a good day
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 01:29:17 PM »
RIP in pizza, sweet prince. I will miss your onion-chomping brilliance ;_;
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 04:40:50 PM »
I agree with Thork, Abbott had significantly better policies than the competition. I hope he runs as Donald Trump's vice.

Thork

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 09:20:08 PM »
balls. this proves Australian politics is a colonial joke. Just as the country gets on track, you sabotage it and get rid of the man with the vision. Back to third world status for you I guess.

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 03:12:16 AM »

Both major parties are in agreement in regards to asylum seekers. Only the smaller parties maintain more liberal stances. The outcry to take in more Syrian refugees was consistent across the country, with Tony agreeing to a number of 12,000.

In any case, asylum seekers are a drop in the population bucket. Our population is increasing much faster than other first world nations mostly due to 100% legal immigrants. That's what needs to be addressed, not a few thousand boat people every year.

With Turnbull in charge and Bishop as #2, things are about to get very interesting.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:13:48 AM by Vindictus »

Offline mister bickles

• while there's life, there's hope!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 04:50:01 AM »
PM Abbott upset the shooters in Australia;
(with his ban on the Adler shotgun)
that's the best part of one million votes (if you include those in the application process as well as those already granted) ;
since most electoral seats in Australia are marginal, one million votes is more than enough to toss any incumbent gov' out on its ear  :o
(i'd "hazard a guess" that some of the Liberal power-brokers have sussed this and, thus, want Abbott out before he does any more major collateral damage)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:53:30 AM by mister bickles »
nisi Dominus frustra

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 05:29:50 AM »
balls. this proves Australian politics is a colonial joke. Just as the country gets on track, you sabotage it and get rid of the man with the vision. Back to third world status for you I guess.

You really don't have any idea what you're talking about, do you?

Tony Abbott isn't "the man with the vision". He's spent the past two years talking the talk, but he's proven time and again that he can't walk the walk. He's much better at blaming the previous government for all his problems than actually solving them, and any journalists who criticise him are summarily accused of "talking the country down" and reminded that he stopped the boats. His enormous ego and unwillingness to work with the Senate made it impossible for him to pass any really significant reforms. Anything and everything his government achieved was in spite of his leadership, not because of it.

Abbott is the worst Prime Minister this country has ever had. Anyone would have been a step up, but Turnbull is more than just "not as bad as Tony". He's someone who thinks before he speaks, and from what I've seen so far, will listen to others before making sound, reasoned judgments. He's carefully avoided making any rash claims about policy changes before consulting the party room, something Tony never quite seemed to get the hang of. He's the Liberal Party's best hope at winning the next election, and quite honestly, I would prefer a Turnbull-led Coalition government to a Shorten-led Labor one.

Even if Turnbull doesn't change any existing policies, he'll have a much better chance of implementing them than Abbott ever did.

Also, Turnbull was sworn in as PM by the Governor-General today. He's now officially in charge.

Thork

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 08:45:39 AM »

You really don't have any idea what you're talking about, do you?

Tony Abbott isn't "the man with the vision". He's spent the past two years talking the talk, but he's proven time and again that he can't walk the walk. He's much better at blaming the previous government for all his problems than actually solving them, and any journalists who criticise him are summarily accused of "talking the country down" and reminded that he stopped the boats. His enormous ego and unwillingness to work with the Senate made it impossible for him to pass any really significant reforms. Anything and everything his government achieved was in spite of his leadership, not because of it.

Abbott is the worst Prime Minister this country has ever had. Anyone would have been a step up, but Turnbull is more than just "not as bad as Tony". He's someone who thinks before he speaks, and from what I've seen so far, will listen to others before making sound, reasoned judgments. He's carefully avoided making any rash claims about policy changes before consulting the party room, something Tony never quite seemed to get the hang of. He's the Liberal Party's best hope at winning the next election, and quite honestly, I would prefer a Turnbull-led Coalition government to a Shorten-led Labor one.

Even if Turnbull doesn't change any existing policies, he'll have a much better chance of implementing them than Abbott ever did.

Also, Turnbull was sworn in as PM by the Governor-General today. He's now officially in charge.
He has left a legacy of tougher border controls and secured some good trade agreements. For a two year tenure, that's not bad going.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »
He has left a legacy of tougher border controls and secured some good trade agreements. For a two year tenure, that's not bad going.

Both of which are Liberal Party policies which would have been implemented with or without Abbott at the top. As I said before and you decided not to bother acknowledging:

Anything and everything his government achieved was in spite of his leadership, not because of it.

For every election promise Abbott fulfilled, he left two more broken. As I said before:

If you're going to keep repeating your ill-informed views without even addressing (or reading, apparently) my points, I'm going to stop wasting my time on you.