Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Cameras
« on: July 16, 2020, 08:35:21 PM »
Do any of you still have a dedicated camera? I use my Sony a6100 quite often. The image quality is very good for the price, it shoots 11 FPS in RAW format, and is super compact.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: Cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 10:55:51 PM »
I was so close to getting my first DSLR camera ... and then lock down happened and they doubled in price as vain office types decided they wanted to look good on their zoom call.

SoonTM.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 11:00:17 PM »
I was so close to getting my first DSLR camera ... and then lock down happened and they doubled in price as vain office types decided they wanted to look good on their zoom call.

SoonTM.

Get a mirrorless camera instead. It’s like a DSLR, but light comes in directly on the sensor when you’re looking through the EVF.  They have more autofocus points, live exposure preview, and are generally more compact.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 11:01:53 PM by Fortuna »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 11:06:46 PM »
I have a Canon 7D Mk II and an EOS M for when I feel like doing quality stuff. Phone cameras are OK for everyday use, but sometimes I just want to be extra.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 11:14:58 PM »
I have a Canon 7D Mk II and an EOS M for when I feel like doing quality stuff. Phone cameras are OK for everyday use, but sometimes I just want to be extra.

The 7D Mark II is a legendary birding camera due to its cropped sensor, advanced autofocus and good image quality. According to the latest rumors, Canon has a mirrorless version coming out later this year or next year.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 09:57:38 AM »
I'm a dumb nerd, so most of the time I'm running around with my M and letting Magic Lantern do half of my work for me. The 7D is objectively the better choice for every purpose, though.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 06:50:21 AM »
I'll be getting this bad boy when it releases in a month or two.

It is now preordered.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:13:17 AM by Fortuna »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 12:08:21 AM »
I set up a ghetto studio in my garage.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 02:21:43 AM »
I set up a ghetto studio in my garage.

Nice, what is the usage though? close ups of apples are cool but what do you actually use that setup for?

I have a less ghetto setup but with a less than professional camera at the moment. (I dropped my nice DLSR camera in a river, RIP). I use my setup for reference images and photogrammetry. Looking to get myself a drone for capturing larger objects outdoors soon to avoid dropping in rivers in the future.

Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 10:38:46 PM »
I just got this lens yesterday and it's pretty lit ngl. Now I just need a good flash and diffuser for it.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 11:14:38 PM »
Around January last year I picked up a Cannon EOS M200.

It does everything I need but I barely use it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 11:15:41 PM »

Send it to me.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2021, 11:24:36 PM »

Send it to me.
No.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2021, 11:33:35 PM »

Send it to me.

Did you get the r6? If so I’m jealous. And what sold you on the r6 instead of the r5?

I still have my 5d which I truly adore. For glass I have 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, and my everyday 24-105 f/4.

Did you get a new lens or are you using the adapter for EF’s?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2021, 04:54:24 AM »

Send it to me.

Did you get the r6? If so I’m jealous. And what sold you on the r6 instead of the r5?

I still have my 5d which I truly adore. For glass I have 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, and my everyday 24-105 f/4.

Yeah, I got the R6 over the R5 pretty much only for cost reasons. The boost in megapixels would have been nice, but $4k for a camera is a little too much. The 5D and its subsequent revisions are all still incredible cameras. And those lenses will work flawlessly adapted to an R mount camera if you ever decide to get one. I've used the 100-400mm and 85mm f/1.8 adapted to the R6 and they all work as if they were natively mounted. Even better really, since they can take advantage of the improved autofocus capability of a mirrorless camera. As for native lenses, I only have the RF 35mm f/1.8 right now since the cost of Canon RF lenses is absolutely nuts (albeit with improved image quality across the board over their EF counterparts). I actually considered switching to Sony and an a7IV recently just because the E mount has so much 3rd party support, including Sigma's incredible line of affordable lenses. But rumors have it that  Sigma will finally be developing RF lenses next year, so I guess I'll stick with Canon for now. Next lens purchase will probably be the RF 16mm f/2.8.

If you wanted to just try out mirrorless before dumping a bunch of cash on an R6 or R5, you could go with an RP. It's tiny for a full frame camera and very affordable with incredible ergonomics. Canon should have another cheaper RF camera coming out soon too, hopefully with similar specs to Nikon's Z 5.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 04:58:39 AM by Fortuna »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 07:56:01 AM »

Send it to me.

Yeah, I got the R6 over the R5 pretty much only for cost reasons. The boost in megapixels would have been nice, but $4k for a camera is a little too much. The 5D and its subsequent revisions are all still incredible cameras. And those lenses will work flawlessly adapted to an R mount camera if you ever decide to get one. I've used the 100-400mm and 85mm f/1.8 adapted to the R6 and they all work as if they were natively mounted. Even better really, since they can take advantage of the improved autofocus capability of a mirrorless camera. As for native lenses, I only have the RF 35mm f/1.8 right now since the cost of Canon RF lenses is absolutely nuts (albeit with improved image quality across the board over their EF counterparts). I actually considered switching to Sony and an a7IV recently just because the E mount has so much 3rd party support, including Sigma's incredible line of affordable lenses. But rumors have it that  Sigma will finally be developing RF lenses next year, so I guess I'll stick with Canon for now. Next lens purchase will probably be the RF 16mm f/2.8.

If you wanted to just try out mirrorless before dumping a bunch of cash on an R6 or R5, you could go with an RP. It's tiny for a full frame camera and very affordable with incredible ergonomics. Canon should have another cheaper RF camera coming out soon too, hopefully with similar specs to Nikon's Z 5.

Thanks for the comprehensive info. Especially your hands-on experience with using EF's with the adapter and getting excellent results. That's been my big concern with so much already invested in EF glass. Knowing that I wouldn't have to dump $1100 on the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L to replace my EF version is outstandingly compelling. I love my 5D. It's such a workhorse and has never let me down. But you've got me itching to try out the R6 - I'm due for an upgrade. And yeah, 45 mp on the 5 versus 20 on the 6 is a whopping difference. But so is the price difference. And 20 mp is plenty. It's not like I need to blow up images to the size of billboards. I think I'm gonna be $2500 lighter soon...

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2021, 08:37:45 AM »
Thanks for the comprehensive info. Especially your hands-on experience with using EF's with the adapter and getting excellent results. That's been my big concern with so much already invested in EF glass. Knowing that I wouldn't have to dump $1100 on the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L to replace my EF version is outstandingly compelling. I love my 5D. It's such a workhorse and has never let me down. But you've got me itching to try out the R6 - I'm due for an upgrade. And yeah, 45 mp on the 5 versus 20 on the 6 is a whopping difference. But so is the price difference. And 20 mp is plenty. It's not like I need to blow up images to the size of billboards. I think I'm gonna be $2500 lighter soon...

It's definitely a great sensor in the R6. Apparently it's a slightly tweaked version of the one that's in the 1DX Mark III. I've printed up to 13'' x 19'' with it and it still has detail to spare. One other nice thing is it has great high ISO performance and dynamic range. You can shoot up to 3200 ISO without any worries. Images may start getting a little fuzzy at 6400 depending on your scene, but you can still get usable shots. Every other camera I've owned has pretty much maxed out at 1600 ISO or even 800.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 08:49:51 AM by Fortuna »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2021, 04:40:27 PM »
I use a Canon EOS Rebel XSi to do astrophotography from time to time.

Unfortunately my telescope stand was busted during the Christmas star event, so all I have are pretty blurry pictures. Not the camera's fault. The stand could not track correctly.

You can kinda sorta tell it's Jupiter and Saturn.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2021, 05:50:08 PM »
Those are great shots. What lens were you using on the EOS Rebel XSi?

Here's a shot I took from a hilltop in the wilds of Northern California a few months back. Canon 5D with a Celestron C90 Spotting Scope mounted, focal length 1250mm. It was so hard to get critical focus. I tried for like 2 hours. I wish mine turned out as crisp as yours.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2021, 06:42:02 PM »
Those are great shots. What lens were you using on the EOS Rebel XSi?

Here's a shot I took from a hilltop in the wilds of Northern California a few months back. Canon 5D with a Celestron C90 Spotting Scope mounted, focal length 1250mm. It was so hard to get critical focus. I tried for like 2 hours. I wish mine turned out as crisp as yours.

Thank you. A 150mm aperture Orion Mak-Cass.

Picture looks good to me, especially considering it was with a terrestrial scope.