Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: FES Book Club
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2015, 05:21:35 PM »
I've just finished Huxley's Brave New World. It's the last of the dystopian novel triangle of 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 I needed to read and I think it's the best of them. I found the world of BNW far more believable and sinister than Orwell or Bradbury's simply because it doesn't portray the ruling elite being evil for its own sake. There is a faintly terrifying familiarity with the leisure-and-drug-drenched world where people are more than happy to sacrifice freedom and liberty for happiness and short-term relief.

The plot itself is less well-organised than the other two, but it helps capture the feel of a world warped by drugs and social conditioning. Unlike 1984, it knows not to labour the point and wraps up neatly before you can get too bored with it.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2015, 11:07:44 PM »
Chris, did you ever publish your book?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2015, 11:37:52 PM »
I've just finished Huxley's Brave New World. It's the last of the dystopian novel triangle of 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 I needed to read and I think it's the best of them. I found the world of BNW far more believable and sinister than Orwell or Bradbury's simply because it doesn't portray the ruling elite being evil for its own sake. There is a faintly terrifying familiarity with the leisure-and-drug-drenched world where people are more than happy to sacrifice freedom and liberty for happiness and short-term relief.

The plot itself is less well-organised than the other two, but it helps capture the feel of a world warped by drugs and social conditioning. Unlike 1984, it knows not to labour the point and wraps up neatly before you can get too bored with it.

My biggest problem with Brave New World was that the writing was terrible.  Huxley created a world both fascinating and frightening, but his descriptions of said world were hampered by his complete and utter lack of writing talent.  It wasn't quite as bad as, say, Tom Clancy's writing, but it was still pretty bad.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2015, 01:58:53 AM »

My biggest problem with Brave New World was that the writing was terrible.  Huxley created a world both fascinating and frightening, but his descriptions of said world were hampered by his complete and utter lack of writing talent.  It wasn't quite as bad as, say, Tom Clancy's writing, but it was still pretty bad.

I have to agree with this (except the Tom Clancy part, he I think is a fine writer even if his stuff does tend to plod along sometimes and he does get a bit bogged down in the technical details).  Brave New World was a fascinating concept poorly executed, in my opinion nowhere near the quality of 1984 or Fahrenheit 451.  I've read 1984 like five times since first reading it for school.  It used to be my favorite book.

As far as bleak futuristic dystopias go I'm not sure it gets any better than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, which I just read for the first time a couple weeks ago.  So profoundly disturbing, and I actually found that the more I reflected on it after I was done reading it the more disturbing it seemed.  There was a lot of unsettling subtext in that book.  I guess it remains to be seen if it holds up that way for me after some time has passed, but I have a feeling I'll be reading that one again.

And also speaking of political thrillers (I know, it's a weak segueway but whatever) I just got done reading The Bourne Supremacy.  Certainly Robert Ludlum was a better writer than Clancy.  Of what I've read so far his stuff never gets boring, and the story in that and Identity is just plausible enough that I am able to gleefully suspend my disbelief while I'm reading it, while at the same time being ridiculously exciting enough that it feels like the literary equivalent of a thrill ride.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2015, 05:12:29 PM »
Tom Clancy novels read like droning political textbooks; the only difference being they expect the reader to already know what an M240-A is.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2015, 06:20:10 PM »
whatever, that's like, your opinion man
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2015, 09:14:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure the process for writing a good novel is objective.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2015, 03:32:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure the process for writing a good novel is objective.

So you view it as more science than art?  I wish you'd elaborate on this if you're serious.  Some of the best writers of all time have been ones who wrote outside the established norm.  Some of my favorite books of all time have basically said hell to normal structure.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2015, 06:26:14 PM »
As far as bleak futuristic dystopias go I'm not sure it gets any better than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, which I just read for the first time a couple weeks ago. 

I actually just finished this book as well. 1984 still tops my list in terms of overall favorite read, but Dick does paint a very disturbing picture that goes beyond a big-brother dystopia. I also watched Blade Runner last night, which drew its inspiration from this book, which in turn inspired the video game Snatcher that my username is based on.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2015, 07:03:26 PM »
As far as bleak futuristic dystopias go I'm not sure it gets any better than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, which I just read for the first time a couple weeks ago. 

I actually just finished this book as well. 1984 still tops my list in terms of overall favorite read, but Dick does paint a very disturbing picture that goes beyond a big-brother dystopia. I also watched Blade Runner last night, which drew its inspiration from this book, which in turn inspired the video game Snatcher that my username is based on.
I always thought you were referring to yourself as German nobility and called you "yoonker" in my head. I think it's too late to change this, it's already ingrained.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2015, 07:29:09 PM »
I always thought you were referring to yourself as German nobility and called you "yoonker" in my head. I think it's too late to change this, it's already ingrained.

Yeah, pretty much everyone does that, or "yunker" :(

« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
Recently finished and would recommend:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1199688.Babel_17
    Babel-17 is all about the power of language. Humanity, which has spread throughout the universe, is involved in a war with the Invaders, who have been covertly assassinating officials and sabotaging spaceships. The only clues humanity has to go on are strange alien messages that have been intercepted in space. Poet and linguist Rydra Wong is determined to understand the language and stop the alien threat.

Basically it's a cool sci-fi story that has a lot to say about linguistics and the effects of language on perception.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2015, 09:54:13 PM »
The Savage Detectives was pretty damn good overall. Some chapters of the second part dragged, especially one in particular, narrated by a guy who compulsively dropped Latin phrases into every other sentence, but overall very good.

Now: Flann O'Brien - The Third Policeman

I originally tried reading this last year, but stopped about a third of the way in because I had just gotten a copy of Gravity's Rainbow and I wanted to get to it right away.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »

Just finished Honourable Friends? Parliament and the fight for change by Caroline Lucas MP, a memoir of the first Green MP's first five years in office, as well as a look behind the scenes on how parliament works from the perspective of a newcomer without a cadre of experienced fellow MPs to help guide her.

The preface openly admits that the book has been rushed out in time for the 2015 General Election and it does show. There are one or two clumsy bits of grammar and factual errors, along with one or two spelling mistakes, which a thorough editing process should have picked up and ironed out. These smudges do mar what is otherwise an open and interesting read.

For a Green Party member like myself, it's interesting to read how our only MP views her first stint in the Commons and outlines how some key issues are dealt with in parliament. For non-Greens, the book serves as a backstage tour behind the bluster of Prime Minister's questions and into the day-to-day running of the UK Parliament.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2015, 06:51:12 PM »
Chris, did you ever publish your book?

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
Not yet, I sent it around to a few publishers and agents and have had either silence or rejection in response. I need to submit it to a few more but the whole process has put me off for a while.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
Have you revised it at all since sending it in?

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »
A little. The problem is that you rarely get any feedback beyond ' sorry, this isn't for us' so it's hard to know whether you were rejected on the basis of the summary on your opening email, the one-page synopsis, the opening paragraph, the first three chapters, or anything else.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2015, 06:37:10 PM »
The Children's Blizzard, David Laskin

History written as a novel. Captivating narrative, I learned several ways people could die in the cold.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »
A little. The problem is that you rarely get any feedback beyond ' sorry, this isn't for us' so it's hard to know whether you were rejected on the basis of the summary on your opening email, the one-page synopsis, the opening paragraph, the first three chapters, or anything else.

If all else fails you could try self-publishing it on Amazon or iBooks.