Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Windows 10 Technical Preview
« on: November 25, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
I installed it to a VM. After about 30 minutes hands on, I am underwhelmed. It is significantly better than 8, which isn't saying much. It is marginally better than 8.1. For home users it will be fine, but I don't see businesses rushing to adopt it. I read that Microsoft is looking to have a more frequent release schedule. I don't think that will work well for them. People will be using Windows 7 for a long time. Hell, they can't kill off XP which isn't even supported anymore.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Technical Preview
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:46:45 PM »
I'll end up jumping to 10 because I guarantee DirectX 12 will "require" Windows 10. Unless Mantle becomes extremely popular (doubtful) DirectX 12 will be a required upgrade for a gaming computer.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:31:24 PM »
That is, of course, assuming that DirectX 12 will be enough of an improvement to compel game developers to require it exclusively for their games.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:56:57 PM »
That is, of course, assuming that DirectX 12 will be enough of an improvement to compel game developers to require it exclusively for their games.

You know markjo you obviously have internet access. Could you please look these sorts of things up that way your comments actually add something to the discussion.

Thork

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 12:02:26 AM »
I installed it to a VM. After about 30 minutes hands on, I am underwhelmed. It is significantly better than 8, which isn't saying much. It is marginally better than 8.1. For home users it will be fine, but I don't see businesses rushing to adopt it. I read that Microsoft is looking to have a more frequent release schedule. I don't think that will work well for them. People will be using Windows 7 for a long time. Hell, they can't kill off XP which isn't even supported anymore.

They need to copy Apple. Even Apple recognise a desktop OS and a phone OS are not the same thing. They split the two to OSX and iOS. Windows should never have made their OS all things to all men. It doesn't work. Windows is a brilliant phone Os now. It really is. But the metro and the desktop where stuff is hidden and in stupid places .... C'mon Microsoft, you can do better.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »

You know markjo you obviously have internet access. Could you please look these sorts of things up that way your comments actually add something to the discussion.

That assumes that I give a shit about DirectX or Windows gaming.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:40:06 PM »
Windows' brilliance must be inversely proportional to its mobile market share

Thork

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:44:52 PM »
Windows' brilliance must be inversely proportional to its mobile market share
Its directly proportional to how shit its app store is. But the OS itself is the best on the market.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »
A bold claim, Thork. Unfortunately both iOS and Android exist.

Thork

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 09:49:18 PM »
And neither is as good. I'm someone who has owned all three for large periods of time. Just try a windows phone. You'll see what I mean.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »
And neither is as good. I'm someone who has owned all three for large periods of time. Just try a windows phone. You'll see what I mean.
I used one once and it gave me cancer.

But seriously, talk about a pain in the ass. I consider myself fairly good at dealing with tech, but even as a windows user, the mobile OS was substantially more annoying to use than Android and a bit more annoying than iOS. And yeah, bugger all apps. Both Microsoft and Apple seem to be fans of simplicity at any cost, which only makes it harder to change things.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
Not that I've used Windows phone or anything, but it's not like it's hard to outdo Android and iOS

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 12:06:50 PM »
Not that I've used Windows phone or anything, but it's not like it's hard to outdo Android and iOS

Yeah, but this is Microsoft we're talking about. Faced with a decision between being better than the competition, and thinking up some creative way to lock users out of the competition's products, they'll always pick option B.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »

Yeah, but this is Microsoft we're talking about. Faced with a decision between being better than the competition, and thinking up some creative way to lock users out of the competition's products, they'll always pick option B.
Not sure I follow you.

Aside from locking users out from installing their own OS on a Microsoft device, what else have they done?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 01:31:41 PM »
Not sure I follow you.

Aside from locking users out from installing their own OS on a Microsoft device, what else have they done?

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
Not sure I follow you.

And?  It's not like they said "Oh yeah, you totally have to use this or you'll be banned from Microsoft."  OpenGL, as far as I know, has always worked in Windows.  If developers chose what they felt was the better platform, we can only complain with our wallets.  Which we don't do.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »
And?  It's not like they said "Oh yeah, you totally have to use this or you'll be banned from Microsoft."  OpenGL, as far as I know, has always worked in Windows.  If developers chose what they felt was the better platform, we can only complain with our wallets.  Which we don't do.

Except that they pay devs to optimize only for DirectX, Parsifal was pointing out that Microsoft isn't trying to make themselves better, they lock out the competition using other means. If you use OpenGL exclusively, you are effectively "banned from Microsoft." Good luck playing any mainstream game.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »

Except that they pay devs to optimize only for DirectX, Parsifal was pointing out that Microsoft isn't trying to make themselves better, they lock out the competition using other means. If you use OpenGL exclusively, you are effectively "banned from Microsoft." Good luck playing any mainstream game.
They do?  I just thought that Microsoft optimized DirectX for windows and that developers chose it to reach the largest market rather than trying to do two graphics platforms and increasing their development time significantly.  And as developers started using DirectX exclusively, graphics card venders did similar by not putting in as much effort into OpenGL drivers.  As seen by the Valve "Get those OpenGL drivers awesome or else" push they had last year.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
They do?  I just thought that Microsoft optimized DirectX for windows and that developers chose it to reach the largest market rather than trying to do two graphics platforms and increasing their development time significantly.  And as developers started using DirectX exclusively, graphics card venders did similar by not putting in as much effort into OpenGL drivers.  As seen by the Valve "Get those OpenGL drivers awesome or else" push they had last year.

OpenGL exists on literally the entire market, therefore if you want to reach the entire market you'd use OpenGL. Devs get paid to use DirectX.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 03:23:33 PM »

OpenGL exists on literally the entire market, therefore if you want to reach the entire market you'd use OpenGL. Devs get paid to use DirectX.

Not evidence, per se, but a good story none the less:
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/60544/why-do-game-developers-prefer-windows