Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox and Valve finally have their baby
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 05:34:22 AM »
Don't be retarted. Digital sales have already surpassed physical sales in the U.K. Don't forget that a huge portion of the game market comprises casual mobile games.
I don't count casual mobile games in that only because they aren't the traditional market of consoles or PC games.

ITT: Lorddave has finally lost it.

I'll probably buy a Steam controller at some point. I have no interest in using Steam OS, but since it's just another Linux distro, the Steam controller will probably work on Debian too. I really like the direction Valve is taking Steam at the moment.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 06:06:38 AM »
Don't be retarted. Digital sales have already surpassed physical sales in the U.K. Don't forget that a huge portion of the game market comprises casual mobile games.
I don't count casual mobile games in that only because they aren't the traditional market of consoles or PC games.

Ah, yes. The "traditional market".
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 01:12:41 PM »
Digital sales have already surpassed physical sales in the U.K. Don't forget that a huge portion of the game market comprises casual mobile games.
I'm not going to claim authority on the subject, but as a 100% real gurl gamer with real gamer friends living in the UK, I know literally nobody who still goes to game stores to buy their PC games. There is no point or reason to it. That's why game stores are either closing or shifting their focus to console games. It says nothing about the state of PC gaming - we simply have better platforms to do our buying through.

Also, I have an xbox360 controller, which I use for a couple of games, mostly platformers. I don't actually see much of an advantage to it most of the time, I just pick whatever feels good at the time - which, in my case, is usually the keyboard.

Parsifal, from what I've heard, setting up an x360 controller with Linux and Steam is easy. They're also pretty cheap, so you may want to consider trying that.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 09:01:10 PM »
Filthy console peasants still have to obtain individual physical mediums to hold their console games. I can obtain millions of PC master race games without ever having to interact with another human being and getting their peasant residue on me.

Also:

I thought PC games would die off as console games became the dominate market.
Fucking lol

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »
That's certainly the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Why would the 'best' platform die off?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 09:16:33 PM »
That's certainly the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Why would the 'best' platform die off?

Short answer is PC has bad marketing.

There are more people than you can imagine that think a computer can't play anything more demanding than solitaire and genuinely think consoles are the only devices capable of playing graphic intensive games. Many people don't even think of a PC as a gaming device. There's also the classic "you have to spend, like, $4000 to game on a PC!"

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:18:25 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 10:02:51 PM »
As well as the "No, I can't build my own PC, because that's hard :("

Ghost of V

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »
Rushy, PC gaming is expensive to get into. That's not really an excuse. Average Joe 6 can't spend $700 out of pocket for a gaming rig. Most people find consoles to be the less expensive of the two and most of the games that are worth a damn are on consoles anyways. Granted, PC gamers do get some titles that are amazing but console gaming has grown so large now that most of the great PC titles are on consoles as well.

At this point, PC gaming seems to be for modding and MMOs.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »
Consoles can't do good strategy games, for example. They're decent for some genres, and absolutely abysmal for others.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »
Rushy, PC gaming is expensive to get into. That's not really an excuse. Average Joe 6 can't spend $700 out of pocket for a gaming rig. Most people find consoles to be the less expensive of the two and most of the games that are worth a damn are on consoles anyways. Granted, PC gamers do get some titles that are amazing but console gaming has grown so large now that most of the great PC titles are on consoles as well.

2009:
Motherboard, CPU, 8 GB of RAM, and Video Card: $786.33

2014: Still getting decent FPS.

When I do end up upgrading, I'll just get a new video card and maybe a SSD.  It's more expensive in the short term but that cost can be broken up over several years.  You don't have to plunk down $400 all at once like a console.  Not only that but most of the parts don't require upgrade such as power supplies, cases, and optical drives(if you get those anymore).
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »

Not quite. The most played PC games are shitty MOBAs currently.

PCs are more expensive because they can do everything. The idea of buying a device dedicated solely to playing games when you could instead have a device that plays games even better AND allows you to read funny forwards from your aunts and look at cool maymays on 4chan (inb4 somebody points out that consoles have internet browsers also) is ridiculous. Sure, initially you save a few hundred dollars if you buy a console. Enjoy buying new games for $50 or $60.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »

Not quite. The most played PC games are shitty MOBAs currently.

PCs are more expensive because they can do everything. The idea of buying a device dedicated solely to playing games when you could instead have a device that plays games even better AND allows you to read funny forwards from your aunts and look at cool maymays on 4chan (inb4 somebody points out that consoles have internet browsers also) is ridiculous. Sure, initially you save a few hundred dollars if you buy a console. Enjoy buying new games for $50 or $60.
Not to mention scratched disks.  God help you if you damage your disk.  We don't give half a fuck. :D
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »

I beg to differ.

Ghost of V

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:10 PM »
Oh yes. I forgot about strategy games. I haven't any big name ones on consoles since Starcraft 64 and Halo Wars, which both sucked.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 11:28:31 PM »

Since Intel and AMD started making APUs, having a mainstream gaming PC can cost less than a major console (assuming you build the computer yourself), though you'll get less graphics performance, I'd argue that as a solo gamer having a PC is optimal versus having a console. The only console I can justify buying is a Wii due to the wide variety of party games available and the abysmal difficulty of setting up motion detection on a PC.

Starcraft 64

My family had one computer (and most of my friends didn't even have that much), which made playing starcraft multiplayer impossible. We resorted to playing split screen on the N64. Most frustrating experience ever.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 12:54:11 AM »
I bought a Wii at a pawn store the other day and played some Mario Kart with my respectable significant other. It was fun.

That said, I don't see myself buying any more consoles anytime soon, unless they're £30 like this was.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 01:39:35 AM »
Hey, look, yet another thread in which people simply can't understand why their own area of interest/expertise isn't universally acknowledged as basic common knowledge and shared by the whole world.  I'd love to be present the next time one of you has car problems:

"What, you can't fix it?  You don't even know what the problem is?  You're actually calling a garage?  [Insert shitty "mfw Guest mehmay here]  But it's so easy!  It's objectively trivial to fix an engine and get a car running!  Any drooling retard could do it!  There are kids who can handle things like this easily, and you can't!  How do you even manage to feed yourself when you're this stupid?"

Ghost of V

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 01:41:03 AM »
What is a mehmay exactly?

I'm trying to figure out if I should be pissed or not.

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 02:02:21 AM »
What is a mehmay exactly?

I'm trying to figure out if I should be pissed or not.

Guest should be.

I can understand why people don't use PCs for gaming. Most people are just stupid, especially when it comes to technology (and I'm no exception).

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 02:06:19 AM »
Saddam is wise in this case.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.