An experiment I want every single one of you to explain
« on: November 14, 2017, 06:29:43 AM »
You can try this yourself, you might need to travel a little but trust me it's worth it. Go to a beach on the west coast of any country, lay on your stomach on the sand close to sunset time, looking at the sun over the water. When you see the last slither of the sun go away, stand up quickly. I guarantee you will see the sun a second time, because it has gone over the curved edge of the horizon. I'm not trying to be rude, but if you want to have your view seriously challenged, try it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: An experiment I want every single one of you to explain
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:39:44 AM »
This type of phenomenon is normally explained by you having changed and broadened your perspective lines at higher altitudes to restore the sun, but this particular case is explained by the existence of waves.

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:48:34 AM »
What proof have you got that it’s caused by waves ?

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
This type of phenomenon is normally explained by you having changed and broadened your perspective lines at higher altitudes to restore the sun, but this particular case is explained by the existence of waves.

Can you elaborate the explanation of 'existence of waves' and what supporting proofs, artifacts you have if you have performed this yourself. Please share we are waiting.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:23:46 AM »
You want proof of the existence of waves?  ???

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »
Don’t be obtuse. Prove beyond all doubt that the existence of waves give the effect of the sun setting again when you stand up.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »
Don’t be obtuse. Prove beyond all doubt that the existence of waves give the effect of the sun setting again when you stand up.

It needs to be proven "beyond doubt" that ocean waves are taller than your head when you lay on your belly at the water's edge? Okay...

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:52 AM »

It needs to be proven "beyond doubt" that ocean waves are taller than your head when you lay on your belly at the water's edge? Okay...
Yes, it does. We’re you there, did you measure them.  Did you measure the size of the observers head.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »
In what situation would I change and broaden my perspective lines?

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
So do things look bigger from higher up or is the component of perspective that transforms the eye's images down effected separately to the perspective that scales the eye's image?
Surely if the sun was thousands of miles high then a six foot difference in height would have a tiny effect on perspective.
We generally accept evidence from all  sources.

The only evidence for Round Earth celestial accuracy (assuming that timeanddate is even based on RET) is the evidence you collected with your friends last month?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 01:24:10 PM »

Ah...if in doubt..."magic perspective" to the rescue!
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »
So Tom, can we have a diagram showing how the perspective broadens as you stand up ?  Maybe I’m a bit simple, but I can’t picture it.

While you’re at it, I’m still waiting for your proof that waves are always higher than your head when you’re laying on your belly.

Offline gizmo910

• Si vis pacem, para bellum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
So Tom, can we have a diagram showing how the perspective broadens as you stand up ?  Maybe I’m a bit simple, but I can’t picture it.

While you’re at it, I’m still waiting for your proof that waves are always higher than your head when you’re laying on your belly.

And do be sure to include only verifiable, empirical evidence.
Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

“When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

;)

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »

And do be sure to include only verifiable, empirical evidence.

Am I the only one that's starting to feel sorry for Tom?  He is outgunned so badly.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 03:24:48 PM »
In what situation would I change and broaden my perspective lines?

Increasing your altitude changes your perspective lines and allows you to see more distant lands. It will take a further amount of land to reach the Vanishing Point.

This is why it would take longer for the sun to set while you are at higher altitudes, and why the sun can be restored by rapidly increasing your altitude immediately after sunset.

Technically the explanation for why the sun sets at higher altitudes is also "waves," and whatnot. The perspective lines meet at the horizon and are perfect, but the surface of the earth is not perfect. Any slight increase  in height at the Vanishing Point will allow something to disappear further behind it, much like a dime can obscure an elephant.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:12:20 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »

Yes, it does. We’re you there, did you measure them.  Did you measure the size of the observers head.

You can look up the average size of waves and swells in the ocean for yourself. I am not interested in educating you on ocean waves.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 03:34:56 PM »

Diagrams for perspective are in Earth Not a Globe, and what I have explained is descibed there as well. Perspective appears throughout the material. Go and read it.

Pass.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:37:36 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »

You can look up the average size of waves and swells in the ocean for yourself. I am not interested in educating you on ocean waves.

No, you've made the huge claim that waves are always bigger than the hight of your head, but offered no proof whatsoever.  What evidence have you got.  I put it to you that it's merely your personal opinion.  In fact, your claim that waves are always big is even more outlandish that refusing to believe that the sun rise and sun set times on dateandtime.com are inaccurate.  You're the one who's always stating the importance of indisputable evidence.  Here's your chance to walk the talk.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »

No, you've made the huge claim that waves are always bigger than the hight of your head, but offered no proof whatsoever.  What evidence have you got.  I put it to you that it's merely your personal opinion.  In fact, your claim that waves are always big is even more outlandish that refusing to believe that the sun rise and sun set times on dateandtime.com are inaccurate.  You're the one who's always stating the importance of indisputable evidence.  Here's your chance to walk the talk.

Not interested. The average height of ocean waves is something you can look into for yourself.

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 04:07:47 PM »

Increasing your altitude changes your perspective lines and allows you to see more distant lands. It will take a further amount of land to reach the Vanishing Point.

This is why it would take longer for the sun to set while you are at higher altitudes, and why the sun can be restored by rapidly increasing your altitude immediately after sunset.

Technically the explanation for why the sun sets at higher altitudes is also "waves," and whatnot. The perspective lines meet at the horizon and are perfect, but the surface of the earth is not perfect. Any slight increase  in height near the Vanishing Point will allow something to disappear further behind it, much like a dime can obscure an elephant.

I think your logic is twisted.  Imagine the sun is like a spotlight, throwing a cone shaped bean of light from it's 3000 mile altitude.  It's goes from a 32 mile diameter to what, say a 3000 mile pool of daylight.  That gives a beam angle of about 90 degrees, or 45 degrees on each side of the beam.  Therefore, if I stand up at the moment of sunset, I should be in darkness.  Or to think it the other way, if I am standing up at sunset, and suddenly sit down, then I should see a second sun set. 

As for the dime and the elephant, if I hold a dime so it just obscures the elephant, then stand up, it still just obscures the elephant.  On a round earth I would see farther as I can see the little bit further over the horizon, but on a flat earth it would make no difference at all.