Ghost of V

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #900 on: October 30, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »
Why do you own the DVD set if you don't think it's great? Do you just like wasting money?

I like it? I have the movie too.

I just think it's a bit overrated, is all. The characters are shallow personified tropes and the story is pretty plain. But it is very fun to watch and is entertaining. The main problem is that it was so short lived, the universe is bland and the characters are not properly developed and seem predictable because of it. I'm sure most of these problems would have been alleviated provided that it didn't get canceled, but I'm not going to praise it for what it could have been.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #901 on: October 31, 2014, 01:51:27 AM »
There's nothing wrong with cliche so long as they do it right. I love the characters regardless of how predictable they are because they worked really well together.

It was great because the ideas came together really well. It was light and fun but with some good heart to it. There's not a lot of shows like that, especially not in the sci-fi genre.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 31, 2014, 02:18:38 AM »
There's nothing wrong with cliche so long as they do it right. I love the characters regardless of how predictable they are because they worked really well together.

It was great because the ideas came together really well. It was light and fun but with some good heart to it. There's not a lot of shows like that, especially not in the sci-fi genre.
This.

The characters were cliched but they made the chiches work with each other. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 31, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »

I think it's because we haven't had a light hearted space opera (that wasn't Star Trek) for years. Farscape was probably the last one that was any good.

Ghost of V

« Reply #904 on: November 01, 2014, 05:15:02 PM »
Just started SG-1 season 9. Ummm...

What does everyone think about Cameron Mitchell? Oh, and Vala? I really hope Vala does not stick around. I absolutely loathe her character with every fiber of my being. She's too extreme to the point of unbelievable, she's oversexualized and needs to put some damn clothes on, and she's another typical "dark girl with a dark past" thing that has been played over and over ad nauseum. Just another mary sue character in a show that is already full of mary sues. I have a feeling she is going to be on the show for the remainder of it's run, and that's no good.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:04:13 PM by Vauxhall »

Ghost of V

« Reply #905 on: November 03, 2014, 04:23:07 AM »
Saw the new Walking Dead. Even worse than the previous episode. Its wonderful watching this terrible show slowly crash and burn. Hahahahhaa.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 03, 2014, 04:41:13 AM »
Except that the seasons have steadily gone up in ratings...

Ghost of V

« Reply #907 on: November 03, 2014, 05:00:32 AM »
Ratings? Lol.

« Reply #908 on: November 03, 2014, 08:00:13 AM »
Community is the worst show ever.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 03, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »
Vindictus, you are as dumb as his avatar has have been having me thinks he is.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 03, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »

What does everyone think about Cameron Mitchell? Oh, and Vala? I really hope Vala does not stick around. I absolutely loathe her character with every fiber of my being. She's too extreme to the point of unbelievable, she's oversexualized and needs to put some damn clothes on, and she's another typical "dark girl with a dark past" thing that has been played over and over ad nauseum. Just another mary sue character in a show that is already full of mary sues. I have a feeling she is going to be on the show for the remainder of it's run, and that's no good.
She's in S10 and both movies as well. Worst character. I wouldn't have been so bothered about her being as sexualised as she is if they had picked a younger actress though. I think Mitchell is pretty cool, but he's not O'Neill.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #911 on: November 06, 2014, 02:09:55 AM »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 06, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »

In like Vala.  Specifically the Vala/Daniel interaction.

Cameron tries to be O'Neil and that's why he sucks for a while.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 06, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »

Ghost of V

« Reply #914 on: November 06, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »

In like Vala.  Specifically the Vala/Daniel interaction.

Cameron tries to be O'Neil and that's why he sucks for a while.

I'm about half way through season 9. I'm glad Vala is not in every episode, but I still let out a big sigh whenever she does grace the screen with her barely clothed presence..

I'm starting to like Mitchell because he is just like O'Neil. I've heard he was the captain or something in Farscape, and I've heard a lot of complaints that he's pretty much the same character in SG-1. He's got this weird expression that's always on his face that is somewhat endearing, but his range as an actor does seem a bit limited.

I'm kinda interested in Farscape now. Has anyone seen it? Any good?

« Reply #915 on: November 07, 2014, 07:45:56 AM »
I haven't seen Interstellar yet, but what are the opinions on it?

The discussion thread on /r/movies is filled with praise for it and any dissent is getting downvoted (big surprise!), even though most reviews I've read so far are pretty lukewarm about the movie.

Ghost of V

« Reply #916 on: November 07, 2014, 08:00:14 AM »

The discussion thread on /r/movies is filled with praise for it and any dissent is getting downvoted (big surprise!), even though most reviews I've read so far are pretty lukewarm about the movie.

I've learned that reddit is usually not a good place to get unbiased reviews.

Just pirate it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 07, 2014, 11:15:58 AM »
Farscape is good but kinda weird most of the time. The Vala actress is a main character in it too, but she plays a much less retarded character. Although, her wardrobe isn't much better than in Stargate half of the time, especially in the later seasons but the more serious character makes it more tolerable. Yes, Ben Browder plays the central main character. He's pretty much like Mitchell, except he's a scientist with sideburns instead of a military officer.
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #918 on: November 07, 2014, 06:33:21 PM »

I am going to see it tonight in imax.  Will try and post some thoughts tonight.

Rama Set

« Reply #919 on: November 08, 2014, 04:02:32 AM »
Just watched Insterstellar and despite the numerous plot holes or massaging of laws of physics, it was very good.  The science fiction portion tried to keep it as plausible as it could be managed, and it was very gratifying to see a movie use the silence of space to good effect and to deal with the problems posed by relativity to space travel. 

I enjoyed all the performances except maybe the one surprise cameo and Matthew McConaughey in particular brought all the depth and urgency to the story that you could want.

The ending almost lost me as it got a bit abstract, and I thought that it would not pay off the relationships set up in the beginning, but I was pleasantly surprised at the conclusion.  It was a very moving ending and ultimately posed a lot of good questions about the complexities of choosing between your own interests vs those of the greater good.

Some here will happily note that the film references the Apollo missions as a hoax designed to bankrupt the Soviet Union.