Offline Frocious

• View Profile
Re: Why is there no flat earth map?
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »
I'm confused, did they need 815 or 882 miles of cable? I thought someone earlier stated it was 2,226 miles.

These seem to be small excerpts regarding a particular span of time or one single ship, not the entirety of the project.

Offline jcks

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2018, 11:11:47 PM »
I'm confused, did they need 815 or 882 miles of cable? I thought someone earlier stated it was 2,226 miles.

These seem to be small excerpts regarding a particular span of time or one single ship, not the entirety of the project.

Ah that makes sense.

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2018, 04:24:50 AM »
There seems to be discrepancy about how much cable was laid. The second link says there was a 16% discrepancy:

Another segment showed a 15% discrepancy:

That's fine. Remember that the amount of cable laid is an upper bound. If you have a 100 foot garden hose, and you run it from a hose bib to a flower garden 87 feet away, it's no problem. The extra hose is just curved on the ground or coiled up or something.

Now, even if the 15% is a map error, it gives you an upper bound - you can eliminate all flat Earth maps that don't agree with that distance. You can also use it as an upper bound on how far airplanes fly over that route, etc.

See, you've just done a whole bunch of flat Earth cartography. Wasn't that fun? And it didn't take any funding!

Macarios

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2018, 06:19:52 AM »
In which case your answer begs the question, why don't you propose an alternative?

For example, why not use standard surveying techniques and trigonometry to map out areas?

Standard surveying techniques use the latitude and longitude system.

Longitudes aren't based on Globe or Flat model.
They are based on times of solar noon and it doesn't depend on model.

Latitudes are based on distances along those longitudes.

Obviously, for any place you select, longitude and latitude will be the same regardless of Flat or Globe model.

(Additionally, latitudes can be measured by angular elevation of Sun at solar noon for Equainox.
For other days there are tables of sun's declination, tested in reality for centuries.
But this part points to Globe so you can ignore it.)