Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Why can't the Sun be seen at midnight?
« on: October 30, 2016, 05:24:42 AM »
"The Wiki" explains "day and night" cycles in the well-known fashion as in
How do you explain day/night cycles and seasons?
Day and night cycles are easily explained on a flat earth. The sun moves in circles around the North Pole. When it is over your head, it's day. When it's not, it's night. The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves. The picture below illustrates how the sun moves and also how seasons work on a flat earth. The apparent effect of the sun rising and setting is usually explained as a perspective effect.

An animation of the day/night cycle in FET

Now just as an example take the sun position as shown on the "The sun's orbit at equinox" circle, above the equator at long 180°. For a position on earth along longitude 0° to have darkness at midnight the sun 180° away must not be vidible, presumably due to the "finite transparancy of the air".

But in Rowbotham's explanation of the "Retrograde motion of the Planets" on pp 322. 323 we have this explanation:
Quote from: Parallax
STATIONS AND RETROGRADATION OF PLANETS

The planets are sometimes seen to move from east to west, sometimes from west to east, and sometimes to appear stationary, and it is contended that “the hypothesis of
the earth’s motion is the natural and easy explanation; and that it would be in vain to seek it from any other system.”

To those who have adopted the Newtonian theory the above language is quite natural; but when the very foundation of that system is proved to be erroneous, we must seek for the cause as it really exists in the heavens, regardless of every hypothesis and consequence. Careful observation has shown that the advance, apparent rest, and retrogradation of a planet is a simple mechanical result.

All the orbits are above the earth; and whenever a spectator stands in such a position that a planet is moving from right to left, he has only to wait until it reaches the end or part of its orbit nearest to him, when, as it turns to traverse the other side of the orbit, it will, for a time, pass in a direction to which the line of sight is a tangent.

A good illustration will be found in an elliptical or circular race-course. A person standing at some distance outside the course would see the horses come in from the right, and pass before him to the left; but on arriving at the extreme arc they would for a time pass in the direction of, or parallel to, his line of sight, and would, therefore, appear for a time not to progress, but on entering the other side of the course would appear to the spectator to move from. left to right, or in a contrary direction to that in which they first passed before him. The following diagram, fig. 99, will illustrate this.

FIG. 99.

Let S be the place of the spectator. It is evident that a body passing from A to P, would pass him from right to left; but during its passage from P to T it would seem not to move across the field of view. On arriving, however, at T, and passing on to B, it would be seen moving from left to right; but from B to A it would again appear to be almost stationary.

From ZETETIC ASTRONOMY, ZETETIC AND THEORETIC DEFINED AND COMPARED.

Now clearly, Rowbotham is saying that we can see the planets when they are at all positions around the 360° of their orbit, otherwise they could never show retrograde motion. So I have to wonder, "If we can see the planets when they are on the other "side" of the earth, why can't we see the sun, which is almost infinitely brighter than any planet?"

This explanation of "retrograde motion" differs markedly from the explanation in "the Wiki", so we have to ask
if Rowbotham is so wrong in this, what other parts of Rowbotham's writings are also simply incorrect.

Re: Why can't the Sun be seen at midnight?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:54:04 PM »
Give it up already

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:56:33 PM »
Give it up already

Quote, Wiki front page:

Much of the experimental evidence for a flat earth is provided by Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham

So no, there's no reason to give up on this. Rabinoz actually read the workings of Rowbotham before questioning the validity of his claims, which is why questions like this are important. If the experimental evidence for a flat earth is largely built on the workings of Rowbotham, and his experiments and results contains factual errors, then one must suppose there's no evidence for a flat earth, no?
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 02:20:12 AM »
Give it up already
What do you mean, all I have quoted has been from Rowbotham, the author of ENaG and from the "the Wiki".

But since no Flat earther has offered an answer I would like to ask
          is Rowbotham wrong, and I claim he is in numerous places or
          is "the Wiki" wrong, and I claim it is in numerous places.
I have been at pains to point this out in many posts, but I get very little response.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
Give it up already
What do you mean, all I have quoted has been from Rowbotham, the author of ENaG and from the "the Wiki".

I have been at pains to point this out in many posts, but I get very little response.

No, I meant literally, why are you still doing this. Do you have any life whatsoever? Your commitment is something I'd only accept as reasonable from a salaried employee, not just some guy who likes to argue on the internet. Trust me, there are plenty of the latter, but your unique level of effort leads me to believe the former.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »
Give it up already

No, I meant literally, why are you still doing this. Do you have any life whatsoever? Your commitment is something I'd only accept as reasonable from a salaried employee, not just some guy who likes to argue on the internet. Trust me, there are plenty of the latter, but your unique level of effort leads me to believe the former.

Why are you here? You never present anything actually supporting anything, you just quibble about little details that are well explained in numerous places.

I am retired and I want to make sure that newbies who have come here after see the absolute mess that Matt Boylan, Eric Dubay and others  and the others make of physics in trying to disprove the globe and prop up the flat earth.

Utter rubbish,
like claiming the sunlight travels in perfectly parallel rays, making the penumbra impossible and
showing a complete lack of understanding of the use of gyroscopes in aircraft attitude indicators, when gyroscopes in marine compasses conclusively prove the earth's rotation.

I could go on and on, but no I don't do this all the time.