Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Rushy about Bitcoins.
« Reply #380 on: June 07, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »
I think the real question here is: what the hell is currency?

Imports/exports? If so, if we had a unified world government would currency even be necessary?

Ultimately it is just something that is used for barter on a high frequency basis. No economy has ever truly moved past a barter system, where you expect to receive roughly the same amount you give.

You still need some kind of abstract means of indicating wealth. Otherwise you're back to swapping sheep for hens for wood for corn for bricks for clothes etc

There's no real difference between sheep for hens and sheep for dollars, in fact, from a purely objective standpoint the person receiving the hens is getting a much better deal than the person getting dollars. Chances are high that the person who traded for hens actually needed/wanted hens. No one needs or wants dollars, they want the things that they can trade for dollars.

« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
There's no real difference between sheep for hens and sheep for dollars,

Personally I consider size and expiration risk a difference. Dollar fold neatly into your pocket. Dollars don't die. Etc.

in fact, from a purely objective standpoint the person receiving the hens is getting a much better deal than the person getting dollars. Chances are high that the person who traded for hens actually needed/wanted hens. No one needs or wants dollars, they want the things that they can trade for dollars.

Not necessarily. I have pigs. You have hens. I want hens. Lets trade. I get hens. You get pigs. You are a Jew/Muslim/Vegetarian. I win. You lose.

People want currency for the fluidity of trade it offers them.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 07, 2014, 09:11:20 PM »
Personally I consider size and expiration risk a difference. Dollar fold neatly into your pocket. Dollars don't die. Etc.

Dollars get miffed up rather easily. I think I'd have a harder time destroying a hen then I would a dollar.

Not necessarily. I have pigs. You have hens. I want hens. Lets trade. I get hens. You get pigs. You are a Jew/Muslim/Vegetarian. I win. You lose.

Then why would I trade for pigs in the first place? What kind of logic runs in your head? It needs a firmware update.

People want currency for the fluidity of trade it offers them.

It makes trading easier, but not necessarily more fluid, especially between entities trading vast amounts of wealth.

« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
Then why would I trade for pigs in the first place? What kind of logic runs in your head? It needs a firmware update.

Because the person selling fire wood wants shoes. And the person selling shoes wants candles. And the person selling candles wants horses. And the person selling horses wants pigs.

Ghost of V

« Reply #384 on: June 07, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »

Because the person selling fire wood wants shoes. And the person selling shoes wants candles. And the person selling candles wants horses. And the person selling horses wants pigs.

wut

« Reply #385 on: June 07, 2014, 11:50:30 PM »
And there our story ends.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 08, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »

Honestly, I don't think most people did that kind of complex bartering.  Leave that to the merchants.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #387 on: June 08, 2014, 12:28:59 PM »
Honestly, I don't think most people did that kind of complex bartering.  Leave that to the merchants.

How can a merchant operate without some kind of abstract means of indicating value?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 08, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »

How can a merchant operate without some kind of abstract means of indicating value?
Being a merchant means you can estimate value.
Ex:
Merchant knows that Appleville has lots of apples but almost no pigs.
Merchant also knows that pig town (a few days trip) has lots of pigs.  He also knows that their apple pie festival is next week. 

So the merchant will get apples and trade them for pigs which he will then trade for more apples.  Or vice versa. 
As a merchant he knows the supply and demand of the area he peddles so he can anticipate who would buy what.
Sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #389 on: June 08, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
So the merchant will get apples

How does he get apples? Does he just take them like a theif?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 08, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 08, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
So the merchant will get apples

What Rushy said.
Or he trades them with something else.  Or someone owes him a debt.

« Reply #392 on: June 08, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
Or someone owes him a debt.

How do you record that debt?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 08, 2014, 10:48:22 PM »

On a piece of paper, maybe? How is this relevant?

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2014, 01:37:58 AM »
This is when a thread should be locked
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 09, 2014, 10:13:17 AM »
This is when a thread should be locked
Incorrect.
Bitcoins have not crashed in value.

« Reply #396 on: June 09, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »

And how do you stop me writing "Rushy owes me 6000 sheep" on a piece of paper?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 09, 2014, 10:27:36 PM »

And how do you stop me writing "Rushy owes me 6000 sheep" on a piece of paper?
It's called a signature.
We still use it.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 10, 2014, 04:27:51 PM »

Being a merchant means you can estimate value.
Ex:
Merchant knows that Appleville has lots of apples but almost no pigs.
Merchant also knows that pig town (a few days trip) has lots of pigs.  He also knows that their apple pie festival is next week. 

So the merchant will get apples and trade them for pigs which he will then trade for more apples.  Or vice versa. 
As a merchant he knows the supply and demand of the area he peddles so he can anticipate who would buy what.
Sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses.

I think Pigville should rethink its choice of festival.

« Reply #399 on: June 10, 2014, 09:16:44 PM »
It's called a signature.
We still use it.

What's to stop me faking your signature? What's to stop me adding a few zeros?

And what if I want to sell the debt. How do I prove to someone else that it's actually your signature?