Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
ScienceAlert is confused
« on: December 01, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »
https://www.sciencealert.com/the-flat-earth-society-responded-elon-musk-twitter-beautiful-mars-conspiracy

Ah scientists.

Apparently the Flat Earth Society on Twitter responded to Elon Musk's question of why there is no "Flat Mars Society" with the perfectly reasonable response that Mars has been observed to be round.

It's quite simple really. We observe a flat Earth and we observe a round Mars. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Maybe that's a good thing because apparently it was too complicated for the good folks at ScienceAlert (who I would assume are scientists, if not necessarily of the rocket variety) to understand. And guess why. They're subtly moving the goalposts in their response, a hallmark of scientists who have been pigeonholing inconsistencies in their flawed theories to make them appear to jibe with reality for centuries. Check it out:

Of course what's so confusing about this perfectly amicable response is that it flies in the face of conventional flat-Earther logic, which suggests that scientific observations of Earth's spherical shape are flawed or faked.

Did you see what those shysters did there? The word I bolded is the clue. They seem to be under the impression that we reject all observation because we reject science. Long-time users of these forums will recognize that we reject science in favor of zeteticism, but that zeteticism itself is rooted in observation. We believe the Earth is flat because we observe the Earth is flat. We observe Mars is round. Again, not exactly rocket science.

Now I said that the good people at ScienceAlert seem to be under that impression because I think something more insidious is going on. They so clearly move the goalposts within mere sentences of each other that it's difficult to believe that it wasn't intentional, unless the writer of the article really does have the brains of dog poop.

They know what they are doing.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:49:12 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Seedz

• View Profile
Re: ScienceAlert is confused
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:53:22 PM »
https://www.sciencealert.com/the-flat-earth-society-responded-elon-musk-twitter-beautiful-mars-conspiracy

Ah scientists.

Apparently the Flat Earth Society on Twitter responded to Elon Musk's question of why there is no "Flat Mars Society" with the perfectly reasonable response that Mars has been observed to be round.

It's quite simple really. We observe a flat Earth and we observe a round Mars. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Maybe that's a good thing because apparently it was too complicated for the good folks at ScienceAlert (who I would assume are scientists, if not necessarily of the rocket variety) to understand. And guess why. They're subtly moving the goalposts in their response, a hallmark of scientists who have been pigeonholing inconsistencies in their flawed theories to make them appear to jibe with reality for centuries. Check it out:

Of course what's so confusing about this perfectly amicable response is that it flies in the face of conventional flat-Earther logic, which suggests that scientific observations of Earth's spherical shape are flawed or faked.

Did you see what those shysters did there? The word I bolded is the clue. They seem to be under the impression that we reject all observation because we reject science. Long-time users of these forums will recognize that we reject science in favor of zeteticism, but that zeteticism itself is rooted in observation. We believe the Earth is flat because we observe the Earth is flat. We observe Mars is round. Again, not exactly rocket science.

Now I said that the good people at ScienceAlert seem to be under that impression because I think something more insidious is going on. They so clearly move the goalposts within mere sentences of each other that it's difficult to believe that it wasn't intentional, unless the writer of the article really does have the brains of dog poop.

They know what they are doing.  ;)

Sadly all you have to do is pull the science card and the FE goes out the window.

I guess "science" is god now.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
For the record later down they state "After all, we've already got decades of observational evidence telling us the Earth is a sphere – you know, just like Mars – so there's no need to build a dangerous (and potentially deadly) homemade rocket." Seems a case of either poor editing, or poor word choice by the author. Either way a single article doesn't exactly convey all scientists or even everyone at a facility, as I would think FE believers should know considering the number of models floating around.

Offline Seedz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:59:35 PM »
For the record later down they state "After all, we've already got decades of observational evidence telling us the Earth is a sphere – you know, just like Mars – so there's no need to build a dangerous (and potentially deadly) homemade rocket." Seems a case of either poor editing, or poor word choice by the author. Either way a single article doesn't exactly convey all scientists or even everyone at a facility, as I would think FE believers should know considering the number of models floating around.

There are levels of deception.

Just clearance levels and "on a need to know" basis are common practices in these entities.

Evidently they do a pretty good job.

devils advocate

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:27:45 PM »

Hmmmmm.........But Roundy; if you were born and lived on Mars you would surely empirically see Mars as flat, in exactly the same way you do for earth now! Imagine how stupid you would look telling the inhabitants of Earth that you believe Mars to be flat because that's what it looks like to you. Imagine those Earthians laughing at you for thinking Mars was flat when they could all clearly see it was round.

And guess what, the science of Round earth makes it as clearly Globular as the above example of how obvious it is that Mars is round when viewed from earth.

The problem with empirical observation is that is soooooo myopic it's insane! If you lived all your life in the Arctic you could be forgiven for assuming the entire earth was ice and snow but that would simply not be true!

devils advocate

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 10:29:06 PM »
It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Ps I would have thought that the term "Rocket Scientist" would be an insult coming from a flat earther???  ;D

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:42:18 PM »

Hmmmmm.........But Roundy; if you were born and lived on Mars you would surely empirically see Mars as flat, in exactly the same way you do for earth now! Imagine how stupid you would look telling the inhabitants of Earth that you believe Mars to be flat because that's what it looks like to you. Imagine those Earthians laughing at you for thinking Mars was flat when they could all clearly see it was round.

If Mars is actually flat, and I found myself there, I would undoubtedly come to the conclusion that it's flat. And if I were to observe that it's shaped like a violin I would come to the conclusion that it's shaped like a violin. Mindless speculation can be fun but it doesn't make for a very compelling argument.

And guess what, the science of Round earth makes it as clearly Globular as the above example of how obvious it is that Mars is round when viewed from earth.

The problem with empirical observation is that is soooooo myopic it's insane! If you lived all your life in the Arctic you could be forgiven for assuming the entire earth was ice and snow but that would simply not be true!

It is fine that you have that opinion. Actually it's great that you recognize that there's a difference between observation and science. That's more than can be said for the moron who wrote this article so good on ya.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

devils advocate

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 10:55:29 PM »
It is fine that you have that opinion. Actually it's great that you recognize that there's a difference between observation and science. That's more than can be said for the moron who wrote this article so good on ya

Err thanks, I think.......of course there's a difference between science and observation....Observation says: "Oh that microscope slide looks clean" Science says; "yeah I wouldn't touch that mate, it's got Ebola on it"!  ;)

Observation says; "I can't see that we live on a HUGE spinning ball" science says: "Of course not, it's Huge and from your perspective, you could never see it..... however by using these facts and logic, all mutually supported with mountains of other evidence, we can easily prove that it is a huge spinning globe"

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 10:56:19 PM »

It's a little more than a poor choice of words lol. The author literally uses an inaccurate equivalence (observation equals science) in his poor attempt to discredit a FEer.

I will go along with the statement that his position doesn't represent that of all scientists ( it's no problem since I neither state nor imply that it does), but not that it doesn't represent ScienceAlert as a whole. If they really just publish everything their contributors hand in with no vetting process to make sure the argument makes sense they have no credibility. And if they don't, and this mindless tripe passed through anyway... well, again, they lack credibility. Either way, what a bunch of morons.     ;D

I mean... unless their silly flub was actually intentional. Scientists tend to be misguided, but not usually outright stupid. That's why I suggest there's more to this article than meets the eye.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:13:04 AM by Roundy »