Thork

Re: A second look at flatearther43.2's suggestions
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »
The difference is that CN affords protection that the lounge does not. Only people registered to the site can access those threads and they are not available via google search - proper freedom of speech. It means people can say anything they like in CN. That is what makes CN one of the more popular parts of the site.

So what you're saying is you've made a bunch of threads in CN which should have been made in the Lounge, and now you want to promote CN to be a second Lounge while creating a new CN.
I made very few of the threads I mentioned. I do use them though. I'm not sure I'd want some of the discussions in the lounge, but I don't think they should be subject to destruction by anyone who feels like it either.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:21:02 AM by Dr David Thork »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 12:02:59 PM »
The difference is that CN affords protection that the lounge does not. Only people registered to the site can access those threads and they are not available via google search - proper freedom of speech. It means people can say anything they like in CN. That is what makes CN one of the more popular parts of the site.

Perhaps you should try reading the post you're replying to.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 12:33:17 PM »
Perhaps you should try reading the post you're replying to.
Yes:

The Lounge is for things that don't fit other boards, but which still constitute an actual discussion. It's also hidden away from search engines and newcomers, so it offers the same level of "privacy" as CN. CN is for, well, complete nonsense. I honestly don't think the current descriptions could be misconstrued.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 02:55:30 PM »
The problem with allowing too much innocent bullshit cluttering the forum is that it makes many of the important search functions useless.  It becomes a final tool of the impotent shill. 

For instance, when I log into the forum, I load up the Recent Posts function.  What do I get?   99% is nonsense that has nothing to do with the true form of the earth.  Fruitful discussion is hidden within a mess. 

You are being had. 
watch?v=xhcVJcINzn8

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 05:15:27 PM »
it makes many of the important search functions useless
The search function can be restricted to specific sub-fora. Simply click on "Choose a board to search in, or search all" and uncheck the boards that don't interest you.

For instance, when I log into the forum, I load up the Recent Posts function.  What do I get?   99% is nonsense that has nothing to do with the true form of the earth.  Fruitful discussion is hidden within a mess.
Okay, so we could introduce functionality to restrict the Recent Posts function to the upper boards. The sidebar of our home page already does that.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 03:31:46 PM »
At the moment, we have two boards for junk, AR and CN, which are largely redundant. I don't think that is necessary. I propose that CN can remain rule free with the exception of NSFW and excessive spam (to be determined by the moderators if a case comes up). I feel there is some level of posting between the more lax rules of The Lounge and a total free-for-all of shitpost spamfest. AR can easily become this "dumpster" that has been mentioned previously (which would prevent creating another board), and if it can be excluded from being displayed on "unread posts," that would be great. Either way, I don't think that both of those boards are necessary as they exist today. Since we are moving forward with a new theme to better differentiate us from the other site, maybe it is worth revisiting the existing forum structure in regards to existing boards.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »
At the moment, we have two boards for junk, AR and CN, which are largely redundant. I don't think that is necessary. I propose that CN can remain rule free with the exception of NSFW and excessive spam (to be determined by the moderators if a case comes up). I feel there is some level of posting between the more lax rules of The Lounge and a total free-for-all of shitpost spamfest. AR can easily become this "dumpster" that has been mentioned previously (which would prevent creating another board), and if it can be excluded from being displayed on "unread posts," that would be great. Either way, I don't think that both of those boards are necessary as they exist today. Since we are moving forward with a new theme to better differentiate us from the other site, maybe it is worth revisiting the existing forum structure in regards to existing boards.

Let me alleviate your boring paragraph with the following sentence:  We simply need a sub where we can do whatever the fuck we want except NSFW shit.

Though this does raise the question:  Are ASCII penises emitting fluid considered NSFW?
-flatearther43.2

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 04:10:46 PM »

Let me alleviate your boring paragraph with the following sentence:  We simply need a sub where we can do whatever the fuck we want except NSFW shit.

Somehow, you repeating what I said but with no details or anything useful is less boring. Makes less sense than your usual posts.

I would say that ASCII art NSFW is still NSFW.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 04:31:45 PM »

Somehow, you repeating what I said but with no details or anything useful is less boring. Makes less sense than your usual posts.

And what about calling people fuck head and other NSFW language like that?  Bannable as well?
-flatearther43.2

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »
And what about calling people fuck head and other NSFW language like that?  Bannable as well?

I'd say no. There isn't much risk there unless it is in a monster size font. Including a warning beforehand, as mentioned in the rules, should suffice. I don't have a hard line on ASCII NSFW (within reason, see:subjective), but if it is allowed, it should also have a warning. An explicit rule for every possible scenario will never exist, that is why we have capable moderators/admins.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 04:42:21 PM by junker »

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »
So penis ASCII is ok as long as it's below a certain size.  What is that size please?  How large can the penises be?
...that is why we have capable moderators/admins.

lol
-flatearther43.2

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
So penis ASCII is ok as long as it's below a certain size.  What is that size please?  How large can the penises be?

I don't know, I am not in a position to make that determination, I am offering my opinion.

...that is why we have capable moderators/admins.

lol

Please refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. Warned.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
What is the actual difference between this poster spamming the lower forum and an actual spam bot? Would the spam bot be banned simply because it isn't human? The bot has rights too.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2015, 08:22:26 PM »

What is the actual difference between this poster spamming the lower forum and an actual spam bot?

I would say not much from what we have seen so far. At least spam bots can give the inside scoop on some amazing deals for prescription medications. This poster is worse than all of the spam bots we have encountered combined.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 08:45:07 PM »

What
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2015, 08:50:50 PM »

What

What would be the actual difference between ASCII and some other medium? Anything that appears here is a collection of pixels.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2015, 09:26:33 PM »

What

I was initially saying that ASCII art drawings that would be the equivalent of an NSFW image of humans or similar should be in the same category. I thought about it and don't want to commit to that, which is why I said in another post that warning before posting NSFW should be fine. I'm really not sure what our line in the sand is for what is considered NSFW.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »
Seems to me that I've really shed some light on the blatant inconsistencies on these fora.
-flatearther43.2

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2015, 09:49:10 PM »

Seems to me that I've really shed some light on the blatant inconsistencies on these fora.

While "blatant" is an obvious exaggeration, there are inconsistencies with gray areas because 99.99% of the time, we don't have to treat our user base like children. One user coming in and pushing the boundaries and finding loopholes doesn't mean a problem exists anywhere but with that user. We are always looking to improve this place, which is why there has been a ton of discussion. It would've been just as easy to make a rule banning the behavior, but we felt it best to engage our community.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »

...We are always looking to improve this place, which is why there has been a ton of discussion. It would've been just as easy to make a rule banning the behavior, but we felt it best to engage our community.

Well then you're welcome Junker  :)  Sure glad I could help!  If I can be of any further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out in the future.  Until then, again, I'd recommend creating a shit dump sub for users such as myself.  Again, best regards Junker!
-flatearther43.2