Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
Holographic Universe
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:07:25 AM »
http://akirarabelais.com/vi/o/thelibraryofbabel/vniuer/vniuer.html

A very interesting read, in my opinion. If anybody is aware of any critisisms of the theory, please share.

TL;DR The universe is a hologram, and everything in the universe is connected at a fundamental level. Also, LSD lets us tap into other parts of reality.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Rama Set

Re: Holographic Universe
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:43:10 AM »
Definitely a cool idea. I watched Susskind's lecture on it, but mostly it goes over my head.  Apparently the theory predicts some quantum fluctuations that have never been detected.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:50:29 AM »
The problem with metaphysical theories such as these is they:

1. Fail to make a proper connection between reality and the metaphysical. They twist words to sound correct, but not experimentally stable (in fact, most have no experiments whatsoever). It explains what a hologram is and how it is made, which is proper. However, the paper then makes the sudden jump into saying "science is wrong and the universe is a hologram!" which is really off-putting.

2. Take what could be an interesting idea but warp it into nonsense. For example, this paper is a fascinating read until it starts claiming I can bend spoons with my mind if I just try hard enough. The author also believes dreams to be some proof that the mind can alter reality, when really they are evidence of the opposite.

Ghost of V

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 05:28:39 AM »
This sounds like some serious fringe science to me. I agree with it 100%.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:44:37 AM »
The problem with metaphysical theories such as these is they:

1. Fail to make a proper connection between reality and the metaphysical. They twist words to sound correct, but not experimentally stable (in fact, most have no experiments whatsoever). It explains what a hologram is and how it is made, which is proper. However, the paper then makes the sudden jump into saying "science is wrong and the universe is a hologram!" which is really off-putting.

2. Take what could be an interesting idea but warp it into nonsense. For example, this paper is a fascinating read until it starts claiming I can bend spoons with my mind if I just try hard enough. The author also believes dreams to be some proof that the mind can alter reality, when really they are evidence of the opposite.

Yeah number two was what did it for me. The magic powarz stuff certainly doesn't lend to the author's credibility. But for the sake of conversation, what do you mean by

The author also believes dreams to be some proof that the mind can alter reality, when really they are evidence of the opposite.
?
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:23:28 AM »
Yeah number two was what did it for me. The magic powarz stuff certainly doesn't lend to the author's credibility. But for the sake of conversation, what do you mean by

The author also believes dreams to be some proof that the mind can alter reality, when really they are evidence of the opposite.
?

Think of it as how many times you have the same dream versus how many times reality is a different place when you wake up. Few people have the same dream, but everyone wakes up to the same reality. Things like LSD change your perception of reality, but not reality itself. No one has ever observed a person on LSD literally float off into space, even if the person tripping thinks they're weightless.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:46:26 AM »
Things like LSD change your perception of reality, but not reality itself.

Nobody is debating this. The idea is that your perception becomes more accurate, not that reality changes.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:49:58 AM »
Nobody is debating this. The idea is that your perception becomes more accurate, not that reality changes.

Orly?

What we perceive as reality is only a canvas waiting for us
to draw upon it any picture we want. Anything is possible, from bending spoons
with the power of the mind to the phantasmagoric events experienced by
Castaneda during his encounters with the Yaqui brujo don Juan, for magic is our
birthright, no more or less miraculous than our ability to compute the reality
we want when we are in our dreams.

Because this guy seems to think reality doesn't real.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 01:54:19 AM »
Oh, well. That author is dumb. I prefer the theory that LSD simply makes us more sensitive to very minute movement.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.