Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Forum should now be accessible from all IPv6 clients
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
I noticed at the office today that some IPv6 clients were unable to access the site, getting the helpful message "Database Error". The problem is that IPv6 addresses in human-readable form can be up to 39 characters long, but SMF logs all requests in a table with the IP address encoded into a column limited to 32 characters in length. If you are on IPv6 and your address happens to be longer than that, you can't use the forum. Like, at all.

I've redefined that column to have a length limit of 100 characters, which should be enough for anyone, and confirmed that it Works For Me now. Let me know if you notice any more issues on IPv6 clients (although, if you do, you likely won't be able to post in this thread...).

IPv6 still won't work perfectly. Your IP address will be logged as 0.0.0.0, for instance, because SMF can't handle the fact that this isn't 1995. But you should at least be able to browse and post with IPv6 now.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum should now be accessible from all IPv6 clients
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »
I've just realised that the upgrade script from 2.0.6 to 2.0.7 re-broke this at the start of February. Sadly, this means some IPv6 clients would have been unable to browse FES as guests for the past month and a half. :( I've fixed the problem now.

On the bright side, our new backup strategy will make it easier to spot such problems early on.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum should now be accessible from all IPv6 clients
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 05:56:01 PM »
I've just realised that the upgrade script from 2.0.6 to 2.0.7 re-broke this at the start of February.

I've reported the bug with SMF:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=519794

I fully expect them to completely ignore it, but we'll see.