Offline wclubin

• View Profile
Re: What is the Advantage of a Globe Theory?
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »
Well with a flat earth people will want to know if the earth is infinite or finite, and will go in search of an edge. The edge could very well not be a place TPTB wishes anyone to find. Maybe the edge will beyond a shadow of a doubt imply god, or maybe some nasty creatures, created this place.

geckothegeek

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »
Making us believe we are on a globe spinning on its axis (to explain the daily sky motions), revolving round the sun (to explain the yearly motion of the stars), all happening in this awful cold uninhabitable space outside that of the confines of earth, certainly makes it look more possible that there is no creator, that it all just happened "naturally". So therefore put away all of your hope for such a creator and allow the role of god to be played by TPTB because they are all you have. Meanwhile everyone outside of the domed city we call earth are laughing their asses off knowing that the fools inside have been convinced they are on some spaceship earth hurling through some vast uninviting space. But really we are inside some weird planetarium created by not so nice creatures.

I really do not see any reason to think God is somehow not needed in a Globe World. They both have an earth and sky and something outside, the sun, moon, stars etc.. one theory is no more extraordinary than the other.

"What is the Advantage of a Globe Theory?"

It is just that the Globe Earth actually accounts for everything we observe.

Otherwise there is no advantage one way or the other. If NASA is constituting a hoax they could do it just as easily with a flat earth

"What is the Advantage of a Globe Theory ?" It is not really a theory. It is a fact.
Just the way every things act and really are.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
Well with a flat earth people will want to know if the earth is infinite or finite, and will go in search of an edge. The edge could very well not be a place TPTB wishes anyone to find. Maybe the edge will beyond a shadow of a doubt imply god, or maybe some nasty creatures, created this place.

I believe the evidence proves that people who like to believe in FE also do not like looking too close. (hence no planes, boats, telescopes, surveying equipment, sextants, sun observations at multiple points at the same time, etc..

There is only one experiment that has ever partially proven a flat (or flat-er) earth and that is that some objects can be seen at a slightly farther distance than the proposed circumference of the Earth would dictate.  FE'ers tend to do this one over and over again.   

Offline wclubin

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »

I believe the evidence proves that people who like to believe in FE also do not like looking too close. (hence no planes, boats, telescopes, surveying equipment, sextants, sun observations at multiple points at the same time, etc..

There is only one experiment that has ever partially proven a flat (or flat-er) earth and that is that some objects can be seen at a slightly farther distance than the proposed circumference of the Earth would dictate.  FE'ers tend to do this one over and over again.

Yeah well if it is admitted that the earth is flat no experiments will be needed. The only thing left would be to determine if the flat earth is finite or infinite and people would head out to find an edge. In the old days when it was admitted it was flat, that was ok because technology was not advanced enough to get there and come back alive. But today it is very possible which is partly why the globe earth model was invented. And the edge is very possibly a place TPTB does not want anyone to see. All of this is of course is just conjecture.

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »

Yeah well if it is admitted that the earth is flat no experiments will be needed. The only thing left would be to determine if the flat earth is finite or infinite and people would head out to find an edge. In the old days when it was admitted it was flat, that was ok because technology was not advanced enough to get there and come back alive. But today it is very possible which is partly why the globe earth model was invented. And the edge is very possibly a place TPTB does not want anyone to see. All of this is of course is just conjecture.

On the other hand, if the so-called evidence for a flat earth are as convincing and fact-based as all FE'ers claim they are, you have to wonder why nobody has taken up the task.

My guess is, well... Convenience. It's convenient to believe in FE, because grasping the facts of RE and reproducing the results requires more knowledge, and more math. It's convenient not to investigate FE evidence in the physical realm, because, with all due respect, most FE'ers appear to me to be couch/internet warriors. It's convenient not to investigate FE evidence in the physical realm, because the original promoters and founders of the modern day version of FET sit firmly on their asses collecting massive amounts of profit on merchandise. FET leads to other ill-faced nonsense like chemtrails, illuminati (yes, you're all on that very same page) etc. All of which are estimated to be a collected billion dollar industry in the US alone.

The actual thing you're pointing fingers at with the Round earth theory facts are the sole drive of the, just to name a few, flat earth theory, illuminati, and chemtrails. The drive?

Money.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2015, 01:22:04 PM »
I do not see how there is much profit in believing in a flat Earth

From what I have read you would need millions of fans t do well from YouTube commercial profit sharing, or possibly sell a book, or start a paid cult, etc..

I think this is just an honest heartfelt belief by many,
But I suppose there may be some who just like the act
-or dream of making money from it.

As far as being a "gateway" superstition?
I do not see it.

It seems to me that it is just as likely that any particular non-popular belief is about as likely as any other. A person who is susceptible to one is probably  much more susceptible to others though.

They all have a common thread and that is extreme distrust.   

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2015, 11:21:52 AM »
Well after wasting a couple of hours reading through the 4 pages of arguments in this topic to find evidence against the flat earth theory I really haven't.. I am still kind of on the fence about the idea of a flat earth, but I have an open mind and I try the to weigh the evidence... The sunset and the horizon line do not discredit the fe theory, because as the sun heads toward the horizon and sinks beneath it doesn't automatically prove that the earth is round, because as the sun heads further west it would eventually have to fade from view by crossing the horizon line whether the earth is flat or round. Really all the comments of people who say the earth is round use " the earth is round is a fact" and accept it no questions asked and call the people who believe the earth is flat ignorant, close-minded or a conspiracy theorist. None of them actually provide evidence against a flat earth.

geckothegeek

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
Well, if you had ever served in the navy or worked in air traffic control you would have absolutely no doubt that the earth was a globe and would be a bit opinionated and have serious doubts as to the sanity of anyone who even thought that the earth was a flat disc, with an ice ring around it and an ice dome above it and the moon and the sun only 3000 miles above it. We're just a bunch of opinionated snobs who also believe those people at NASA, the FAA the astronomical observatories  and just about everyone else in the world aren't demons. Et cetera , et cetera and so forth ad infinitum. And a big LOL. But we do enjoy this website for the entertainment value and do try to be at least a bit tolerant and eagerly await their latest flat ideas that are posted.

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2015, 03:54:58 PM »
I am not sure how working in those fields relinquishes all doubt that the earth is round. Using an instrument that supposedly accounts for the curvature of the earth doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work if the earth was flat. Have you ever witnessed the horizon line form a bend? it is only natural that being higher up would allow for better visibility whether the earth was flat or round. I've been to the top of the empire state building and the horizon was still straight. What evidence is there of the earth being round? The only reason why I ever thought it was round was because that is what I was taught in school, but I have not actually seen true evidence of it. I am seriously leaning to the flat side of things. I've tried looking up a boat disappearing under the horizon on youtube and found this..

geckothegeek

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2015, 08:16:38 PM »
I am not sure how working in those fields relinquishes all doubt that the earth is round. Using an instrument that supposedly accounts for the curvature of the earth doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work if the earth was flat. Have you ever witnessed the horizon line form a bend? it is only natural that being higher up would allow for better visibility whether the earth was flat or round. I've been to the top of the empire state building and the horizon was still straight. What evidence is there of the earth being round? The only reason why I ever thought it was round was because that is what I was taught in school, but I have not actually seen true evidence of it. I am seriously leaning to the flat side of things. I've tried looking up a boat disappearing under the horizon on youtube and found this..

First of all in reality it is just "common knowledge" that the earth is a globe and has been a known and proven fact for centuries. And there is no evidence of a flat earth.
It is  a moot point anyway.

All of the following prove curvature of the earth proving the earth is globe

In the Navy.:
Ships and land passing out of view over the horizon
Measurements to the horizon dependent on height of the observer
Range of radar on certain frequencies limited to line of sight and dependent on height of antenna
Crow's nest lookouts limits of sighting limited by height of crows nests
All navy charts and maps are made from projections of the globe of the entire earth
No maps are made from flat earth maps because there are no flat earth maps of the entire earth

In the FAA
Design of certain radars whose frequencies operate line of sight and range limit by distance to the horizon, also definite depending on height of radar antenna
Certain radio frequencies operate line of sight and limited by distance to horizon
Certain radio frequencies  used on microwave repeaters also operate line of sight and limited by distance to horizon
Sectional charts and maps are made from projections of the globe of the entire earth
No such thing as flat earth maps as mentioned previously

These are just a few reasons why the earth is a globe.

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2015, 08:55:08 PM »

First of all in reality it is just "common knowledge" that the earth is a globe and has been a known and proven fact for centuries. And there is no evidence of a flat earth.
This is not acceptable proof that the earth is round... It has also been "common knowledge" since JFK's presidency that the american government has been lying to its citizens.

In the Navy.:
Range of radar on certain frequencies limited to line of sight and dependent on height of antenna
All navy charts and maps are made from projections of the globe of the entire earth
No maps are made from flat earth maps because there are no flat earth maps of the entire earth
The explanation you've given me does not exactly prove the theory of a round earth, you've said that objects pass out of view over the horizon, Clearly you didn't even bother with the video, which was posted by someone who supports a round earth showing that the boat doesn't 'sink' out of view but gradually blurs away.
In the FAA
Design of certain radars whose frequencies operate line of sight and range limit by distance to the horizon, also definite depending on height of radar antenna
Certain radio frequencies operate line of sight and limited by distance to horizon
Certain radio frequencies  used on microwave repeaters also operate line of sight and limited by distance to horizon
Sectional charts and maps are made from projections of the globe of the entire earth

How does this prove that the earth is round? if they are operating at line of sight limited by the distance to the horizon, this makes the curvature of the horizon a non-factor as there is no line of sight which shows the horizon as curved.
Do you have any hard evidence of a round earth?

geckothegeek

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2015, 09:17:32 PM »

This is not acceptable proof that the earth is round... It has also been "common knowledge" since JFK's presidency that the american government has been lying to its citizens.

In the Navy.:
The explanation you've given me does not exactly prove the theory of a round earth, you've said that objects pass out of view over the horizon, Clearly you didn't even bother with the video, which was posted by someone who supports a round earth showing that the boat doesn't 'sink' out of view but gradually blurs away.
In the FAA

How does this prove that the earth is round? if they are operating at line of sight limited by the distance to the horizon, this makes the curvature of the horizon a non-factor as there is no line of sight which shows the horizon as curved.
Do you have any hard evidence of a round earth?

The bottom line is that you have to deny all reality if you wish to believe that the earth is not the globe shape that it is. And especially if you want to believe that the earth is flat.

But that is the flat earth way . If you want to believe that....It's your problem.

There is a simple formula to determine the distance to the horizon. If the earth was flat the horizon would be at an infinite distance and an indistinct blur in the distance.
Which it isn't. Under normal conditions the horizon is always a distinct line where earth and sky meet. The horizon is one of the easiest things that prove the earth is not flat.

JFK had nothing to do with age old facts about the globe.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:52:35 PM by geckothegeek »

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2015, 10:59:11 PM »
I am not deny the prospect of a horizon. I do not see how that is inrefutable evidence of a round earth. If you look in the distance of the horizon every thing just gets smaller and smaller until it becomes so small it merely looks like a line. If the earth was round, wouldn't that line curve in a round shape and not just be a flat line across the sky like it is?

I was unaware that NASA was around for ages.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:10:58 PM by HumptyDumpty »

geckothegeek

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2015, 02:08:20 AM »
I am not deny the prospect of a horizon. I do not see how that is inrefutable evidence of a round earth. If you look in the distance of the horizon every thing just gets smaller and smaller until it becomes so small it merely looks like a line. If the earth was round, wouldn't that line curve in a round shape and not just be a flat line across the sky like it is?

I was unaware that NASA was around for ages.

The fact that the horizon is not always at an infinite distance and is not just a blur in the distance is proof that earth is not flat.

The fact that the horizon is a definite line between earth and sky and the distance to the horizon varies according to the height of the observer proves the curvature of the earth which proves the earth is a globe. The horizon will appear to be straight when viewed at eye level due to the enormity of the circumference of the earth. It can only be viewed as a curve from high altitudes.

The main advantage of the globe over the flat earth is that every map is based on the globe. There is no flat earth map.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:10:28 AM by geckothegeek »

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2015, 10:27:26 AM »

It can only be viewed as a curve from high altitudes.

I've been on an airplane as well as the top of the empire state building, and haven't witnessed this curve of which you speak... Any footage of higher altitudes such as viewing the planet from space is out of my control and can easily be manipulated in photoshop to support either the FE or RE ideas.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:29:39 AM by HumptyDumpty »

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »

I've been on an airplane as well as the top of the empire state building, and haven't witnessed this curve of which you speak... Any footage of higher altitudes such as viewing the planet from space is out of my control and can easily be manipulated in photoshop to support either the FE or RE ideas.

10-11km isn't high enough, and of course you'll dismiss evidence from higher altitudes as being manipulated, because it's convenient to do so.

With all honesty, people believing in flat earth have mental issues. You might say the same, but the difference is, there's a gazillion reproducable evident facts that not just supports, but actually SHOWS that the Earth is a globe.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

geckothegeek

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2015, 05:11:28 PM »

10-11km isn't high enough, and of course you'll dismiss evidence from higher altitudes as being manipulated, because it's convenient to do so.

With all honesty, people believing in flat earth have mental issues. You might say the same, but the difference is, there's a gazillion reproducable evident facts that not just supports, but actually SHOWS that the Earth is a globe.

I have an idea - which I dare not call it a theory (LOL) - I think that a lot of the so-called "flat earthers" on this website  are probably really sane "round earthers" who just make up all this dumb "flat earth stuff" to irk us  other "round earthers" and argue with us ! I think it may be just a game. Of course if they really do believe the earth is flat, you just might be right about the mental issues. ::) ???

Offline Yendor

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2015, 08:37:43 PM »

I have an idea - which I dare not call it a theory (LOL) - I think that a lot of the so-called "flat earthers" on this website  are probably really sane "round earthers" who just make up all this dumb "flat earth stuff" to irk us  other "round earthers" and argue with us ! I think it may be just a game. Of course if they really do believe the earth is flat, you just might be right about the mental issues. ::) ???

You and I have butt heads before about being in the Navy and not believing in a round Earth. Do you realize the fire control radar, on the Sea Sparrow GMLS, has a surface line of sight out past 30 nautical miles with a 2 degree pencil beam? In fact, It can actually track almost double that range, but you didn't hear that from me. That certainly would not be possible on a round Earth. I myself actually worked on a guided missile launching system that it's radar had a surface range of over 20+ nautical miles and that was back in the early 70's. You can believe the Earth is round all you want, but out to sea it is definitely flat as it can be.

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2015, 10:27:54 PM »

That doesn't explain this video..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ih_Qq-WBYY
Or is about 2km enough to make that kind of difference? Either footage could've been manipulated as I did not run the experiment, and yes it is more convenient to just watch a youtube video than build a rocket, I'd bet the only time you've seen outer space is through a video too.

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2015, 06:07:44 AM »
You and I have butt heads before about being in the Navy and not believing in a round Earth. Do you realize the fire control radar, on the Sea Sparrow GMLS, has a surface line of sight out past 30 nautical miles with a 2 degree pencil beam? In fact, It can actually track almost double that range, but you didn't hear that from me. That certainly would not be possible on a round Earth. I myself actually worked on a guided missile launching system that it's radar had a surface range of over 20+ nautical miles and that was back in the early 70's. You can believe the Earth is round all you want, but out to sea it is definitely flat as it can be.

Here's a question for Yendor, the guided missile expert,  why do Exocet missiles fly so low?   
Can that fire control radar detect an Exocet flying at 1-2M 1000kph+ at 20+ nautical miles out?