Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
deGrasse Tyson cashing in on FET again.
« on: March 19, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »

People often ask us if we make much money out of flat earth. We don't make any. You want to follow the money trail? Look at this guy. He's just written another book, he has an entire chapter on rotundity. So who profits from telling you what shape the earth is?

Where's our royalties, Tyson?  >o<
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:15:03 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
Re: deGrasse Tyson cashing in on FET again.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:11:49 PM »
Why don't you write a book then? Shouldn't be too difficult.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:18:45 PM »
Why don't you write a book then? Shouldn't be too difficult.
The royalties could be used by Tom who says he does not have the funding for any investigations.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:58:28 AM »

People often ask us if we make much money out of flat earth. We don't make any. You want to follow the money trail? Look at this guy. He's just written another book, he has an entire chapter on rotundity. So who profits from telling you what shape the earth is?

Where's our royalties, Tyson?  >o<

I'm not denying Degrasse is a profiteer and likes attention, but anyone can see trying to claim he makes his money by promoting RET is twisting reality to fit a narrative.

He makes a living 'popularizing' science, RET is still science as much as you guys wish it wasn't.

And just because you aren't making money from the promotion of FE doesn't mean there aren't people trying to. I'm guessing you guys try to disassociate yourselves from Eric Dubay around here? I don't blame you, I dislike mentioning him too, but you brought up profiting from pushing the notion that the earth is a specific shape...

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:03 AM »
I'm guessing you guys try to disassociate yourselves from Eric Dubay around here?
We made the mistake of trying to be nice to him early on. Turns out he thinks we're part of the conspiracy, and made it clear in no uncertain terms that he'll be hostile towards us unless we hand the entire society over to him.

I don't blame you, I dislike mentioning him too, but you brought up profiting from pushing the notion that the earth is a specific shape...
I can't speak for Thork, but I don't think it was his intention to imply that no FE'er has ever tried profiteering from FET. It does seem, however, that there are more high-profile for-profit RE'ers than FE'ers, which is strange, given how RE is already the "obvious" and widely accepted model.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:07 AM »
The fact that DeGrasse feels the need to even write this chapter can only be in response to the inexplicable publicity the FES has been getting recently, fuelled by some celebrities.
He's already written a load of books, the round earth thing is but one chapter in his most recent book.
He's hardly cashing in on your guys.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:13 AM »
I'm guessing you guys try to disassociate yourselves from Eric Dubay around here?
We made the mistake of trying to be nice to him early on. Turns out he thinks we're part of the conspiracy, and made it clear in no uncertain terms that he'll be hostile towards us unless we hand the entire society over to him.

I don't blame you, I dislike mentioning him too, but you brought up profiting from pushing the notion that the earth is a specific shape...
I can't speak for Thork, but I don't think it was his intention to imply that no FE'er has ever tried profiteering from FET. It does seem, however, that there are more high-profile for-profit RE'ers than FE'ers, which is strange, given how RE is already the "obvious" and widely accepted model.

So who are these for profit high-profile RE'ers?

I'm trusting that you aren't going to descend into some nonsense conspiracy theory btw, please don't prove me wrong on that.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
It does seem, however, that there are more high-profile for-profit RE'ers than FE'ers

Why does it "seem" like this? Has a survey been done? Who are these high-profile RE'ers?

Seems to me (from my own personal viewing experience) that it's more likely to be the FEers, especially on YouTube, that are e-begging for money, whether that's through Paypal or Patreon 'donations', or through other means.....
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 11:34:07 AM »
Does anyone have the e-mail in which he said this? Sounds like an interesting read.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »
Does anyone have the e-mail in which he said this? Sounds like an interesting read.

I second this. I'd love to see the responses gotten by him.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »
There already are a couple threads about this - I'll send the links over to both of you in a moment.

[edit: PM'd]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:37:43 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 03:00:50 PM »

None of those people identify as an RE'r, though. Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein weren't RE'rs, they were theoretical physicists. Same with deGrasse Tyson. Eratosthenes wasn't an RE'r, he was a mathemetician. Galileo wasn't an RE'r, he was an astronomer.

That they know (or knew) the earth is round is just a product of the evidence abundant in their fields of research.

And I apologize if you're talking about people other than deGrasse Tyson -- perhaps there are scientists that focus entirely on profiteering by proving the earth is round. I would be relatively surprised by that, though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:03:04 PM by Frocious »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »
Same with deGrasse Tyson
I disagree. If you write a book that's solely about the shape of the Earth, and do so for a profit, it is very likely you're trying to profiteer from the debate.

And I apologize if you're talking about people other than deGrasse Tyson -- perhaps there are scientists that focus entirely on profiteering by proving the earth is round. I would be relatively surprised by that, though.
There are other people, not necessarily high-profile pop scientists, who try to make a living out of it, but I won't provide them with a free advertisement here.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »
Same with deGrasse Tyson
I disagree. If you write a book that's solely about the shape of the Earth, and do so for a profit, it is very likely you're trying to profiteer from the debate.
And do you regard that as a bad thing?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 04:24:28 PM »

So you still won't substantiate the claim that there are more high-profile  for-profit RE'ers than FE'ers? Because a basic google search will show how many books are on the market pushing FE... Not so much the other way round.

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »
Same with deGrasse Tyson

That might be the topic of the book, but that book is not the extent of deGrasse Tyson's work. His name wasn't built through FE debate, it was built through being a highly-regarded astrophysicist.

Compare that to Rowbotham, who spent his life selling tickets to debates (which he would run from if he didn't have an answer) to spread his name.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
If you write a book that's solely about the shape of the Earth, and do so for a profit, it is very likely you're trying to profiteer from the debate.

Are you referring specifically to one of NDT's books? Which one?
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 05:28:19 PM »
That might be the topic of the book, but that book is not the extent of deGrasse Tyson's work. His name wasn't built through FE debate, it was built through being a highly-regarded astrophysicist.
I do not contest that. However, his career as an astrophysicist does not justify this act of profiteering. I do agree that he could be much worse, but that doesn't make his recent actions good. In this case, I'm condemning an action, not an individual's entire career.

Compare that to Rowbotham, who spent his life selling tickets to debates (which he would run from if he didn't have an answer) to spread his name.
That's a particularly selective and disingenuous description of Rowbotham, but the man was far from a saint.

The fact that DeGrasse feels the need to even write this chapter can only be in response to the inexplicable publicity the FES has been getting recently, fuelled by some celebrities.
Thank you for the compliment, however roundabout it may be.

He's already written a load of books, the round earth thing is but one chapter in his most recent book.
Not solely on this debate, no. There are plenty more suckers buying into pop scientists.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:33:44 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 05:54:04 PM »
We made the mistake of trying to be nice to him early on. Turns out he thinks we're part of the conspiracy,
Mr Dubay considers all who do not conform to his particular philosophical worldview to be controlled opposition.
On religious conviction's he makes a good athiest, but he is not a racist per say, he hates everyone equally.

I don't see him as a money grabber, sure, he wrote a book and had an insurance payout once for an injury.
I think he is a sincere man who hates institutionalised religion almost more than he hates round earth.
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 06:16:29 PM »
One might say, controlled opposition is anyone he doesn't control.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1