Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Official Sports Thread
« Reply #740 on: May 16, 2016, 03:30:13 AM »
Cleveland is going to sweep them. Toronto maybe gets one. That's about as big as it's going to get. Still a good season for them, though.

Rama Set

« Reply #741 on: June 14, 2016, 01:31:59 AM »
May this final forever taint Lebron's legacy.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 14, 2016, 01:49:30 AM »
May this final forever taint Lebron's legacy.

top kek

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 18, 2016, 12:53:04 AM »
Would anyone be interested in playing fantasy football? I've got a couple other friends who are interested. I'd probably do it through ESPN fantasy football, you can do it on a computer and there's an app for it
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 18, 2016, 01:44:04 AM »
you can do it on a computer and there's an app for it

o w0w rly? even on a computer?!

But yes, I'm interested. Will there B money involved?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 18, 2016, 02:57:10 AM »
I'm definitely interested.  We're talking about real football here, right?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 18, 2016, 03:14:38 AM »
you can do it on a computer and there's an app for it

o w0w rly? even on a computer?!

But yes, I'm interested. Will there B money involved?

Heh I only said that calling I've only used the app, but not everyone has a smart phone. I'd be willing to put up some money,(50-$100?) though I may not necessarily be able to vouch for everyone on the league, and I don't want to be responsible for people not paying.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 18, 2016, 03:17:33 AM »
I've actually never really hosted one of these, and only played once season.  is it customary to pay beforehand, or just pay the winner at the end? Most of the people on it if it works out will be internet friends

Rama Set

« Reply #748 on: June 18, 2016, 04:42:30 AM »
Usually you pay the commissioner beforehand.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 18, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »
Usually you pay the commissioner beforehand.

Rama Set

« Reply #750 on: June 20, 2016, 04:36:11 AM »
Alright, that was a pretty amazing win by the Cavs.  Ruh-spect.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 20, 2016, 04:40:50 AM »

It was off the chain, yo. LeBron is officially and forever the GOAT.

Rama Set

« Reply #752 on: June 20, 2016, 04:48:07 AM »

Michael Jordan will steal your child for even thinking that.  I am not sure how bad it will get for you, now that you have written this, but, may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 20, 2016, 05:36:49 AM »

Michael Jordan will steal your child for even thinking that.  I am not sure how bad it will get for you, now that you have written this, but, may God have mercy on your soul.

Honestly tho, Jordan never did anything that could remotely compare to this run...

Rama Set

« Reply #754 on: June 20, 2016, 05:48:03 AM »

Honestly tho, Jordan never did anything that could remotely compare to this run...

Honestyly tho, Jordan never faced adversity like this, because he crushed his opponents...

He never even faced an elimination game in the finals, much less lose 4.  You want to argue that this single postseason run was better than any of Jordan's you could probably make a case, and it would be close, but overall body of work, c'mon now... Jordan is impeccable.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 20, 2016, 02:29:50 PM »
Honestyly tho, Jordan never faced adversity like this, because he crushed his opponents... He never even faced an elimination game in the finals, much less lose 4.

I know the cool thing to do is to over romanticize the past, but you say this as if it is somehow an indictment of LeBron. Jordan never faced adversity on the biggest stage because when there was actual adversity, his teams were bounced out of the playoffs before the finals. Jordan never beat his biggest foes. I will give him a pass on the early losses to the Celtics since it was early in his career, but he was eliminated three years in a row by the Pistons. It wasn't until the Pistons hit a decline that he got the better of them, and then the Pistons were never heard from for over a decade.

You want to argue that this single postseason run was better than any of Jordan's you could probably make a case, and it would be close, but overall body of work, c'mon now... Jordan is impeccable.

You qualify this in a weird way, almost like it would take an effort to see why this championship was so significant. LeBron's team beat the best regular season team in NBA history. First title to Cleveland in over 5 decades. 3rd team ever to force a game 7 after being down 3-1 in the finals, first team ever to win that game 7. All of that was achieved by literally beating the team that won more games in one season than any other, besting Jordan's 95-96 Bulls. If you can point me to a more significant championship from Jordan, I would love to see it.

The fact is that as it stands, Jordan is still the best player we have ever seen (not including arguments about Magic, Russell, etc.). But, at age 31, Jordan and LeBron had the same number of titles. We don't know if he will be able to amass 3 more, or even one more for that matter. But it isn't unfathomable for LeBron to dethrone His Airness when all is said and done.

Rama Set

« Reply #756 on: June 20, 2016, 04:39:47 PM »
Honestyly tho, Jordan never faced adversity like this, because he crushed his opponents... He never even faced an elimination game in the finals, much less lose 4.

I know the cool thing to do is to over romanticize the past, but you say this as if it is somehow an indictment of LeBron.

Lebron has choked in the finals in a way few superstars ever have.  Yes, it is in an indictment if we are talking about the GOAT. 

Jordan never faced adversity on the biggest stage because when there was actual adversity, his teams were bounced out of the playoffs before the finals. Jordan never beat his biggest foes. I will give him a pass on the early losses to the Celtics since it was early in his career, but he was eliminated three years in a row by the Pistons.

He had terrible teams behind him at that time.  I know LBJ made it to the finals with a bad team too, but in '07 LBJ did not face an all-time great team like the Pistons.  And I am not sure why you are so down on the teams Jordan beat in the finals: the Lakers were definitely well past their prime, so no surprise there, but the Trailblazers, Suns, Sonics and Jazz were all really good teams, with a lot of depth.  Lebron also beat some good teams (Spurs, GS) and lost to good teams (Spurs, GS, Mavericks) he beat a decent OKC team.  In terms of the strength of opposition I see them as pretty even and in their championship prime, they both came out of weak conference's.

It wasn't until the Pistons hit a decline that he got the better of them, and then the Pistons were never heard from for over a decade.

Which is pretty much the same situation LBJ had with the Celtics.  Call it even?

You want to argue that this single postseason run was better than any of Jordan's you could probably make a case, and it would be close, but overall body of work, c'mon now... Jordan is impeccable.

You qualify this in a weird way, almost like it would take an effort to see why this championship was so significant. LeBron's team beat the best regular season team in NBA history.

The best team with the MVP having an MCL injury requiring surgery, and their key defensive player receiving a shitty and probably unwarranted suspension at a pivotal moment.  Not saying this to disqualify the run, but it would not be like if Seattle beat the Bulls in '96, where the Bulls were firing on all cylinders.

First title to Cleveland in over 5 decades.

Irrelevant.  The championship is significant for Cleveland, but I don't see how it makes Lebron a better player.

3rd team ever to force a game 7 after being down 3-1 in the finals, first team ever to win that game 7.

This is probably what makes the run the most special.  That it came on the back on a shitty suspension to the player that was making Lebron look mediocre thus far cannot be overlooked.  Again, it does not disqualify the run, but it also does take some of the fairy tale out of it for me. 

All of that was achieved by literally beating the team that won more games in one season than any other, besting Jordan's 95-96 Bulls. If you can point me to a more significant championship from Jordan, I would love to see it.

Jordan never faced the kind of adversity LBJ faced mostly because he demolished good teams.  That is why it is tough to look at this series for me and say it was better than anything Jordan ever did, because Jordan was never in a comparable situation.  He never went in to the finals as the underdog, and not because the teams he faced weren't of high quality, but because he was so dominant and such a thorough and excellent closer, that it was never really a series like this one was.  Basically when it came time to take care of business, Jordan took care of business.  He may have had off-nights shooting wise, but he never looked mediocre out there, even at the age of 36.

What Jordan did do is 3-peat as champion, which no team since the Celtics of the 50s and 60s had done, not the Showtime Lakers, not the Bird Celtics, and he did it twice.  This left many left to speculate, if he didn't retire, could he have won 8 straight?  And many think that that would have been a definite possibility.  This idea is unfathomable for Lebron who has been too inconsistent in his finals closing and who appears at times uncomfortable asserting his game.  Look at the 2011 finals, games 1-3 of this final or when Lebron was saved from the choking tag in his win against the Spurs by Ray Allen and Chris Bosh. 

Jordan has the highest playoff scoring average and the highest efficiency rating of any player in NBA/ABA history.  In the '93 finals, for example, Jordan scored 40+ over 4 games, including 55 in game 4. This series win, where he was just on another level from even fellow HOFers, clinched the first 3-peat and was Jordan at the absolute unchallenged height of his power.   Beyond that one finals, Jordan had all sorts of classic games along the way (check out this for some highlights), with the Flu Game, Game 6 of the '98 finals, and his 3-point onslaught against the Trailblazers coming to mind right away.  It is performance at an extraordinarily high level for a long period of time that distinguishes Jordan, not one run, or put another way, his run of note was over an 8 year period.

The fact is that as it stands, Jordan is still the best player we have ever seen (not including arguments about Magic, Russell, etc.). But, at age 31, Jordan and LeBron had the same number of titles. We don't know if he will be able to amass 3 more, or even one more for that matter. But it isn't unfathomable for LeBron to dethrone His Airness when all is said and done.

It isn't unfathomable but you said:

Which is a much different position.

Lebron is going to have a tough time taking Jordan off his throne though because of all the losses and because he will likely fade at an earlier age than Jordan because he started playing 4 years earlier and will likely not take 1 1/2 years off in the next two seasons.  It is not impossible, and Lebron is the kind of physical freak that may have stamina and longevity that will surprise me. I hope one day that I begrudgingly have to dethrone Jordan because of LBJs continuing exploits, as I may be forced to do in Tennis with Novak Djokovic (total aside I am totally convinced Novak is on PEDs, but have no way to prove it).  I hope I do have to, because that would be monumental and extraordinary and the kind of thing that makes me a sportsfan.

It will be interesting to see where the NBA goes from here, considering many, including myself were dethroning Lebron before the playoffs even started.  In taking out Lebron, he can safely assert his King title again and wait for Draymond, Curry and Klay to come knocking again.  I wonder if Lebron will be in a Cleveland uniform when it happens or if Lebron might be elsewhere, perhaps with Chris Paul this time.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 20, 2016, 05:26:40 PM »
Lebron has choked in the finals in a way few superstars ever have.  Yes, it is in an indictment if we are talking about the GOAT.

He definitely had some blunders which he was not equipped to handle at the time and at that age. Likely attributed to the insane expectations  (anointed at age 16...) and age of social media where the critics piled on nonstop. I do wonder how Jordan would have responded to such criticism in the modern age, but that is neither here nor there.

but in '07 LBJ did not face an all-time great team like the Pistons.
Are you being serious right now? The recent Spurs are objectively an all-time great team.

And I am not sure why you are so down on the teams Jordan beat in the finals: the Lakers were definitely well past their prime, so no surprise there, but the Trailblazers, Suns, Sonics and Jazz were all really good teams, with a lot of depth.
I am not down on them, but there weren't any memorable groups in that bunch outside of the Stockton/Malone Jazz. Memorable players, yes, but certainly not any foes or rivalries.

In terms of the strength of opposition I see them as pretty even and in their championship prime, they both came out of weak conference's.
Other than this year's Warriors team, I agree with both points.

Which is pretty much the same situation LBJ had with the Celtics.  Call it even?
Even.

The best team with the MVP having an MCL injury requiring surgery, and their key defensive player receiving a shitty and probably unwarranted suspension at a pivotal moment.
Every team is banged up. No one was using the injury card when the MVP was dropping 25-30+ games during this series. The suspension was maybe shitty, but not unwarranted. What was unwarranted is that he hadn't been suspended prior.

Not saying this to disqualify the run, but it would not be like if Seattle beat the Bulls in '96, where the Bulls were firing on all cylinders.

I Disagree.

Irrelevant.  The championship is significant for Cleveland, but I don't see how it makes Lebron a better player.
It is certainly relevant. Legends are made by doing things no one else has ever done before.

This is probably what makes the run the most special.  That it came on the back on a shitty suspension to the player that was making Lebron look mediocre thus far cannot be overlooked.  Again, it does not disqualify the run, but it also does take some of the fairy tale out of it for me.

Mediocre in what way? Scoring only, maybe, and that is only the first two games. LeBron dominated the rest of the time, regardless of Green's presence. That is why LeBron was the first player ever to lead either team in points, blocks, rebounds, assists, and steals in the finals. You make it sound like Green didn't play the other six games...

Jordan never faced the kind of adversity LBJ faced mostly because he demolished good teams.
He still never beat his biggest foe, that has a lot of impact for me. Jordan's teams didn't start making runs until other hall of famers joined the roster, along with a hall of fame coach. What happened to the Bulls when Jordan left the first time? They went from 57-25 with MJ to 55-27 without, with Pippen finishing second in the MVP vote. They were one call/play away from getting back to the conference finals that year. What happened when LeBron left the first time? Cleveland was relegated to the draft lottery.

he was so dominant and such a thorough and excellent closer, that it was never really a series like this one was.  Basically when it came time to take care of business, Jordan took care of business.  He may have had off-nights shooting wise, but he never looked mediocre out there, even at the age of 36.
I agree with most of this.

What Jordan did do is 3-peat as champion, which no team since the Celtics of the 50s and 60s had done, not the Showtime Lakers, not the Bird Celtics, and he did it twice.  This left many left to speculate, if he didn't retire, could he have won 8 straight?  And many think that that would have been a definite possibility.  This idea is unfathomable for Lebron who has been too inconsistent in his finals closing and who appears at times uncomfortable asserting his game.  Look at the 2011 finals, games 1-3 of this final or when Lebron was saved from the choking tag in his win against the Spurs by Ray Allen and Chris Bosh. 
LeBron carried teams, singlehandedly sometimes. Jordan put his teams over the top and was deadly, but they didn't disappear when he was gone like the Cavs did when LeBron left. I agree that the double three-peat is still the most dominating stretch of sport in the modern era.

Jordan has the highest playoff scoring average and the highest efficiency rating of any player in NBA/ABA history.  In the '93 finals, for example, Jordan scored 40+ over 4 games, including 55 in game 4. This series win, where he was just on another level from even fellow HOFers, clinched the first 3-peat and was Jordan at the absolute unchallenged height of his power. 
Yes, he was unstoppable in his era.

Beyond that one finals, Jordan had all sorts of classic games along the way (check out this for some highlights), with the Flu Game, Game 6 of the '98 finals, and his 3-point onslaught against the Trailblazers coming to mind right away.  It is performance at an extraordinarily high level for a long period of time that distinguishes Jordan, not one run, or put another way, his run of note was over an 8 year period.
I watched every finals game of the second 3-peat stretch, although I wasn't old enough at the time to really appreciate it. It was great, just like LeBron leading all categories for the first time ever in a finals series is great.

I would have assumed by the G'd-up language, anyone could tell it was hyperbole :-/

Lebron is going to have a tough time taking Jordan off his throne though because of all the losses and because he will likely fade at an earlier age than Jordan because he started playing 4 years earlier and will likely not take 1 1/2 years off in the next two seasons.  It is not impossible, and Lebron is the kind of physical freak that may have stamina and longevity that will surprise me. I hope one day that I begrudgingly have to dethrone Jordan because of LBJs continuing exploits, as I may be forced to do in Tennis with Novak Djokovic (total aside I am totally convinced Novak is on PEDs, but have no way to prove it).  I hope I do have to, because that would be monumental and extraordinary and the kind of thing that makes me a sportsfan.
The losses make it more interesting for me. Overcoming insane odds that everyone said was impossible, and had been up to that point. Honestly, at this point, I hope he just team hops for a few years and tries to collect rings. Nothing he will do in Cleveland will ever compare to this. It would be great if you could string together a 3-peat, but I think we all know that is highly unlikely. God still hates Cleveland. And yes, Novak is an abuser, though I think many modern day tennis players are.

It will be interesting to see where the NBA goes from here, considering many, including myself were dethroning Lebron before the playoffs even started.  In taking out Lebron, he can safely assert his King title again and wait for Draymond, Curry and Klay to come knocking again.  I wonder if Lebron will be in a Cleveland uniform when it happens or if Lebron might be elsewhere, perhaps with Chris Paul this time.

I hope LeBron teams up with some veterans and just tries to go on a run before he declines too much. I imagine he has a season or two left at or around this current level before father time shows why he is undefeated. I'd like to see a LeBron, KD, and CP3 team out west take on GSW, or something along those lines.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 20, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
Changing topics inside the NBA theme (partly because I don't want to endlessly discuss Jordan, those debates can go on forever), I really hope Portland can add another piece and be even more competitive next season. They were really fun to watch and have a ton of potential. What they got from the talent outside of Lillard was nothing short of incredible, especially with most of the starters being gone.

Rama Set

« Reply #759 on: June 20, 2016, 06:02:42 PM »

He definitely had some blunders which he was not equipped to handle at the time and at that age. Likely attributed to the insane expectations  (anointed at age 16...) and age of social media where the critics piled on nonstop. I do wonder how Jordan would have responded to such criticism in the modern age, but that is neither here nor there.

but in '07 LBJ did not face an all-time great team like the Pistons.
Are you being serious right now? The recent Spurs are objectively an all-time great team.

I was referring to making it to the finals specifically.  The Cavs played the Wizards, Nets and Pistons, and that Pistons team was past its best before date.

And I am not sure why you are so down on the teams Jordan beat in the finals: the Lakers were definitely well past their prime, so no surprise there, but the Trailblazers, Suns, Sonics and Jazz were all really good teams, with a lot of depth.
I am not down on them, but there weren't any memorable groups in that bunch outside of the Stockton/Malone Jazz. Memorable players, yes, but certainly not any foes or rivalries.

They weren't memorable foes or rivalries because the Bulls were that much better.

In terms of the strength of opposition I see them as pretty even and in their championship prime, they both came out of weak conference's.
Other than this year's Warriors team, I agree with both points.

Even.

Sweet.

The best team with the MVP having an MCL injury requiring surgery, and their key defensive player receiving a shitty and probably unwarranted suspension at a pivotal moment.
Every team is banged up. No one was using the injury card when the MVP was dropping 25-30+ games during this series. The suspension was maybe shitty, but not unwarranted. What was unwarranted is that he hadn't been suspended prior.[/quote]

Curry, even when he scored 25 and 30 was shooting badly.  The suspension was totally unwarranted because that was not a flagrant foul.  It was bullshit.

Not saying this to disqualify the run, but it would not be like if Seattle beat the Bulls in '96, where the Bulls were firing on all cylinders.

I Disagree.[/quote]

Why?  You think there was as much of a disparity between these teams as the '96 Bulls and Sonics?

It is certainly relevant. Legends are made by doing things no one else has ever done before.[/quote]

But it doesn't necessarily speak to his GOATiness.

Mediocre in what way? Scoring only, maybe, and that is only the first two games. LeBron dominated the rest of the time, regardless of Green's presence. That is why LeBron was the first player ever to lead either team in points, blocks, rebounds, assists, and steals in the finals. You make it sound like Green didn't play the other six games...

I will concede this.

Jordan never faced the kind of adversity LBJ faced mostly because he demolished good teams.
He still never beat his biggest foe, that has a lot of impact for me.

He did beat them, just not when you wanted him to.  The Celtics were not really a rival, because Jordan was so young when they were in their prime.  You also do not mention his success against the Cavaliers who were seen as a rival at the time and who Jordan regularly demoralized. 

Jordan's teams didn't start making runs until other hall of famers joined the roster, along with a hall of fame coach.

Same with Lebron.  It is a team game and we should not be surprised that a good team is needed to win on the biggest stage.

What happened to the Bulls when Jordan left the first time? They went from 57-25 with MJ to 55-27 without, with Pippen finishing second in the MVP vote. They were one call/play away from getting back to the conference finals that year. What happened when LeBron left the first time? Cleveland was relegated to the draft lottery.

From 2008 to 2010 Cleveland never made it to the finals and only made it to the 2nd round the year before Lebron left, meaning both teams did 2 rounds worse in the year after their top star left.  As the 2011 season went on, Cleveland lost more and more of their roster, so some tanking likely took place as well.  Also, it was moments like Pippen shrank in 1994, that Jordan is legendary for excelling in.

he was so dominant and such a thorough and excellent closer, that it was never really a series like this one was.  Basically when it came time to take care of business, Jordan took care of business.  He may have had off-nights shooting wise, but he never looked mediocre out there, even at the age of 36.
I agree with most of this.

LeBron carried teams, singlehandedly sometimes.[/quote]

Only once, in 2007 and as I mentioned, he never faced a Bad Boy Pistons level team to make the finals and then obviously lost to the behemoth Spurs. If Jordan had faced a weaker team, it is conceivable that he would have done the same.

Jordan put his teams over the top and was deadly, but they didn't disappear when he was gone like the Cavs did when LeBron left.

The Bulls  I agree that the double three-peat is still the most dominating stretch of sport in the modern era.[/quote]

In team sports, I would put Roger Federer or Tiger Woods in the overall conversation. [/digression]

Jordan has the highest playoff scoring average and the highest efficiency rating of any player in NBA/ABA history.  In the '93 finals, for example, Jordan scored 40+ over 4 games, including 55 in game 4. This series win, where he was just on another level from even fellow HOFers, clinched the first 3-peat and was Jordan at the absolute unchallenged height of his power. 
Yes, he was unstoppable in his era.

Beyond that one finals, Jordan had all sorts of classic games along the way (check out this for some highlights), with the Flu Game, Game 6 of the '98 finals, and his 3-point onslaught against the Trailblazers coming to mind right away.  It is performance at an extraordinarily high level for a long period of time that distinguishes Jordan, not one run, or put another way, his run of note was over an 8 year period.
I watched every finals game of the second 3-peat stretch, although I wasn't old enough at the time to really appreciate it. It was great, just like LeBron leading all categories for the first time ever in a finals series is great.[/quote]

Yup.

I would have assumed by the G'd-up language, anyone could tell it was hyperbole :-/

THIS IS SUPER SERIOUS!!! HYPERBOLE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

The losses make it more interesting for me. Overcoming insane odds that everyone said was impossible, and had been up to that point. Honestly, at this point, I hope he just team hops for a few years and tries to collect rings. Nothing he will do in Cleveland will ever compare to this.

It would be nice in a golden age sort of way if Lebron would just stay in Cleveland.

It would be great if you could string together a 3-peat, but I think we all know that is highly unlikely. God still hates Cleveland. And yes, Novak is an abuser, though I think many modern day tennis players are.

I don't think Roger did, but that could be my fanboy-ness just as much as my objectivity.

I hope LeBron teams up with some veterans and just tries to go on a run before he declines too much. I imagine he has a season or two left at or around this current level before father time shows why he is undefeated. I'd like to see a LeBron, KD, and CP3 team out west take on GSW, or something along those lines.

If he goes to GS I will literally put him in the list of most despicable athletes of all time.  I would prefer to see LBJ go to NY with Melo and CP3, get Phil out to coach and end another drought.