Yaakov ben Avraham

Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #960 on: October 15, 2014, 01:49:17 AM »
You don't eat any invertebrates?

Ah, no. Even assuming I wanted to, I wouldn't be permitted to.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 15, 2014, 01:50:39 AM »
Oh hey, you can eat duck and chicken.  And guess what THEY eat?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #962 on: October 15, 2014, 01:54:57 AM »
NOW, they eat some pretty nasty shit, yes. But at the time, they weren't too bad. I stand corrected about the worms. NOW, I understand that chickens eat some Godawful shit.Thank you Monsantos.

Of course, virtually everything we eat in the United States except organic food is so damned engineered its ridiculous. Granted, kosher food is not permitted to be that engineered, but still...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:28:45 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 15, 2014, 01:59:47 AM »
NOW, they eat some pretty nasty shit, yes. But at the time, they weren't too bad. I stand corrected about the worms. NOW, I understand that chickens eat some Godawful shit.Thank you Monsantos.
Chickens have always eaten worms, seeds, and insects.

Yet when a pig does it, its horrible.  Double standards much?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 15, 2014, 02:04:49 AM »
I've recently learned that Palestinians have the highest concentration of phDs, especially in economics, of any nationality in the world. Is this why jews hate them so badly? Are you jealous of their banking prowess?

Why would God make an animal that tastes so good also be very unhealthy to eat? Checkmate, Jews.

Ah, your point? Antifreeze tastes good to a dog. Why not give him some for dinner tonight? I am sure some very poisonous berries probably taste delightful. You're free to eat them if you wish, of course. You're not a good chess player. I wouldn't try that move again.

I'm not sure you addressed his point. Why would god make something so bad so good? That doesn't make any sense.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 15, 2014, 02:06:37 AM »
Actually, microwaves are even harder to determine whether bacon is thoroughly cooked, because the cooking time with them varies so much from device to device.

What? No, it doesn't. A microwave is a microwave. Unless you're using microwaves with different wattage ratings and expecting them to cook food at the same rate. You wouldn't be doing that, would you?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 15, 2014, 02:21:35 AM »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #967 on: October 15, 2014, 02:32:34 AM »
I've recently learned that Palestinians have the highest concentration of phDs, especially in economics, of any nationality in the world. Is this why jews hate them so badly? Are you jealous of their banking prowess?

Tausami, I find that unlikely, since most "Palestinians" are very poorly educated, if at all. In fact, I should like to see your source. But, even assuming you are right, and you might be, how is that relevant? I have no banking prowess at all. Your point?

Why would God make an animal that tastes so good also be very unhealthy to eat? Checkmate, Jews.

Ah, your point? Antifreeze tastes good to a dog. Why not give him some for dinner tonight? I am sure some very poisonous berries probably taste delightful. You're free to eat them if you wish, of course. You're not a good chess player. I wouldn't try that move again.

I'm not sure you addressed his point. Why would god make something so bad so good? That doesn't make any sense.

Ah, because shit happens?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #968 on: October 15, 2014, 02:34:34 AM »
Actually, microwaves are even harder to determine whether bacon is thoroughly cooked, because the cooking time with them varies so much from device to device.

What? No, it doesn't. A microwave is a microwave. Unless you're using microwaves with different wattage ratings and expecting them to cook food at the same rate. You wouldn't be doing that, would you?

Even those with the same wattage vary with age. Trust me, I have run into this problem with the microwave I use now, compared to the one I used before I was married.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #969 on: October 15, 2014, 02:35:35 AM »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 15, 2014, 02:37:03 AM »
Even those with the same wattage vary with age. Trust me, I have run into this problem with the microwave I use now, compared to the one I used before I was married.

It really sounds like your idea of a microwave is a $20 easy bake oven from wally world.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 15, 2014, 02:39:45 AM »
What makes pork more unhealthy than any other meat product?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

Thank you, Markjo.
healthyeating.sfgate.com/risks-undercooked-chicken-2327.html

Pretty much any undercooked meat is bad.  Pork is far from unique in that regard.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #972 on: October 15, 2014, 02:46:14 AM »
The top 10 most-educated countries are:

1. Canada

2. Israel

3. Japan

4. United States

5. New Zealand

6. South Korea

7. United Kingdom

8. Finland

9. Australia

10. Ireland

Source: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/09/27/and-the-worlds-most-educated-country-is/

Notice: "Palestine" is not on the list. And given that 80% of countries recognise it as a country, it should be.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #973 on: October 15, 2014, 03:11:48 AM »

Thank you, Markjo.

Pretty much any undercooked meat is bad.  Pork is far from unique in that regard.

Chicken is pretty nasty for you if undercooked. But it doesn't have the double-whammy of eating carrion. Eating dead things was considered to be, and still is, so far as I know, EXTREMELY unhealthy for the human who came along and ate the thing that ate the carrion eater later. Seriously, now. Tell me. You wouldn't eat a vulture, but you do eat a hog? That is nasty-ass, and its comparable.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 15, 2014, 04:18:27 AM »

Thank you, Markjo.

Chicken is pretty nasty for you if undercooked. But it doesn't have the double-whammy of eating carrion. Eating dead things was considered to be, and still is, so far as I know, EXTREMELY unhealthy for the human who came along and ate the thing that ate the carrion eater later. Seriously, now. Tell me. You wouldn't eat a vulture, but you do eat a hog? That is nasty-ass, and its comparable.

* Human meat eaters are NOT carnivores, because Real-Carnivores eat LIVING animals.

* REAL Carnivores salivate at the sight of an animal - as their prey. Humans do not.

* REAL Carnivores make the kill themselves with their own fangs and claws. Humans do not.

* Human (fake) 'carnivores' are merely CARRION EATERS, like scavengers or vultures, ...they only eat DEAD meat. In other words, they ingest only DEATH.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Thork

« Reply #975 on: October 15, 2014, 08:15:04 AM »

Thank you, Markjo.

* Human meat eaters are NOT carnivores, because Real-Carnivores eat LIVING animals.

* REAL Carnivores salivate at the sight of an animal - as their prey. Humans do not.

* REAL Carnivores make the kill themselves with their own fangs and claws. Humans do not.

* Human (fake) 'carnivores' are merely CARRION EATERS, like scavengers or vultures, ...they only eat DEAD meat. In other words, they ingest only DEATH.
I think your yahoo.answers person doesn't know the difference between a predator and a carnivore. We eat meat and we eat veggies... omnivores.

Bye Markjo, hello Yakov.

But eating pork is fine. It is a domesticated animal reared for meat. And its delicious I might add.

The problem that jews and muslims have with pork, is that their religious texts do not keep up with technology. There is no Hebrew bible 2nd edition. They don't bring out a new one each year. 2000 years ago, eating pork in the desert would be a seriously bad idea. Pigs are similar in anthropology to humans. And so parasites that like pigs, tend to like humans too. You eat pork 2000 years ago in the desert and you are going to get worms, lice, bacterial infections etc etc.

And religious texts were a form of early law. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not kill. Still as useful today as they were back then. Don't eat pork .... well things have changed. We have antibiotics and medicate sick animals and crucially, we have refrigeration. Wise old law writers making a book to base a civilisation on aren't able to foresee that in 2000 years pork is gonna be great to eat and perfectly safe.

Christian rules don't have that, because Christians tended to be from Europe where its not as hot and the dangers of pork, not so bad. So European religions never forbade it. But our texts are equally as bad at keeping up with technology. Don't have sex with your immediate family. Of course, you don't want an inbred society. But these days we have contraception. You could have sex with a family member and if you were both up for it, its not going to make any difference. I still find it icky though because of my culture, much like you don't relish a bacon sandwich.
But I wouldn't care if I heard some guy was banging his sister and she loved it any more than you mind other people eating hot dogs. Its just not for me.

« Reply #976 on: October 15, 2014, 10:12:15 AM »
Because incest is great so long as you wear a rubber.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #977 on: October 15, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »

Thank you, Markjo.

I think your yahoo.answers person doesn't know the difference between a predator and a carnivore. We eat meat and we eat veggies... omnivores.

A carrion eater is something that eats a thing that died of itself. Humans do not generally eat something that died on its own. We generally kill it ourselves, and then find a way of making sure the meat is safe to eat. Eating carrion would be EXTREMELY hazardous, as would eating anything that eats carrion. Ergo, the need for the laws that forbid such. Our Yahoo answers friend is full of it.

Bye Markjo, hello Yakov.

But eating pork is fine. It is a domesticated animal reared for meat. And its delicious I might add.

The problem that jews and muslims have with pork, is that their religious texts do not keep up with technology. There is no Hebrew bible 2nd edition. They don't bring out a new one each year. 2000 years ago, eating pork in the desert would be a seriously bad idea. Pigs are similar in anthropology to humans. And so parasites that like pigs, tend to like humans too. You eat pork 2000 years ago in the desert and you are going to get worms, lice, bacterial infections etc etc.

And religious texts were a form of early law. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not kill. Still as useful today as they were back then. Don't eat pork .... well things have changed. We have antibiotics and medicate sick animals and crucially, we have refrigeration. Wise old law writers making a book to base a civilisation on aren't able to foresee that in 2000 years pork is gonna be great to eat and perfectly safe.

Christian rules don't have that, because Christians tended to be from Europe where its not as hot and the dangers of pork, not so bad. So European religions never forbade it. But our texts are equally as bad at keeping up with technology. Don't have sex with your immediate family. Of course, you don't want an inbred society. But these days we have contraception. You could have sex with a family member and if you were both up for it, its not going to make any difference. I still find it icky though because of my culture, much like you don't relish a bacon sandwich.
But I wouldn't care if I heard some guy was banging his sister and she loved it any more than you mind other people eating hot dogs. Its just not for me.

Well, though I still don't agree with you, this is by far the most logical and intelligent response I have gotten so far. Allow me to point out a few things. First off, only Jews are obligated to the 613 Commandments of the Law, many of which are the Laws of Kashruth (Kosher Laws). A non-Jew is only obligated to the Laws of Noah. I would encourage you all to refer to an internet search for "Noahides" on Google for information on that. God never said that a non-Jew couldn't eat a ham sandwich.   So that is point one. Point two is that pork is still unhealthy courtesy of its tendency to be a carrion eater. And look what they feed it! Slop! I know it is reared for meat. I know risks are low today. But stilll...

And ultimately, here is what ALL these rules come down to. Why do we follow them? Well, I could give you plenty of reasons. But the ultimate reason is this: BECAUSE GOD SAID SO! No other reason necessary. God is God. One does not argue with the God of Israel when one is a Jew. One fulfills one's duty to one's God, and in return, one's God maintains his side of the Covenant. End of stary.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:23:20 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 15, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »
A carrion eater is something that eats a thing that died of itself.
Incorrect. 

Humans do not generally eat something that died on its own. We generally kill it ourselves, and then find a way of making sure the meat is safe to eat.
When is the last time that you killed something that you ate?

If vegetarians don't eat meat because they love animals, how do they feel about plants?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 15, 2014, 12:46:31 PM »
End of stary.
The Mastery.