Offline Misero

• Evidence, Evidence, Evidence, and more Evidence.
    • View Profile
Secrecy
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:51:43 PM »
I have made another thread on the other site about the newest country, I then got a response of most of them believing the earth is round. So, as a follow up, I want to ask something more.

What is the Conspiracytm doing to stop newer countries from going to space and blowing it all? Think about it, I'm, say, South Sudan's leader, I finally get a rocket up high enough and guess what? It's flat. Now, I could risk it all and join the Conspiracytm, or I could blow it all and be famous. Everyone would move to South Sudan, the country that isn't lying to you!

See the logic there?
Nobody should ever follow my standard.  I am the worst moderator ever.
Yes, I'll still keep that in mind on this forum too.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Secrecy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 05:55:21 PM »
Sustained space flight is impossible, but people believe it's possible because the Space Man™ told us so and the Space Man™ cannot be wrong.

If you, the leader of South Sudan, try to go to space, you will inevitably fail. But your failure will only reflect on you poorly, because the Space Man™ already told us that space travel is perfectly feasible; so it's clearly not that you've proven anything, you're just really bad at space.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Misero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 05:57:34 PM »
Sustained space flight is impossible, but people believe it's possible because the Space Man™ told us so and the Space Man™ cannot be wrong.

If you, the leader of South Sudan, try to go to space, you will inevitably fail. But your failure will only reflect on you poorly, because the Space Man™ already told us that space travel is perfectly feasible; so it's clearly not that you've proven anything, you're just really bad at space.
Not saying you get into orbit, just that you go up high enough to see that the earth is flat, not round.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »
If you have a rocket and enough fuel, then why would you not get high enough to see the entire Earth?  That does not mean that you can orbit anything or go to the moon or something like that. 

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:04:56 PM »
Not saying you get into orbit, just that you go up high enough to see that the earth is flat, not round.
And how would you achieve this?

Thork

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »
Didn't North Korea try just this and fail?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17698438

My understanding is they built it just like the American's suggest, only to find that bacofoil isn't the best space material after all. Then all the 'space countries' rallied round condemning the attempt to prevent them trying again, making all kinds of threats like embargos and war. That's what your South Sudan leader can expect if he tries to blow the space hoax.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:04:20 PM by Thork »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »
And how would you achieve this?

If you have a rocket and enough fuel...
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »
If you have a rocket and enough fuel...
That's a considerable challenge when the amount of fuel needed can only be expressed in the affinely extended real number system.

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »

What is preventing from anyone else from drawing the same conclusion as Space ManTM?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 07:52:44 PM »
What is preventing from anyone else from drawing the same conclusion as Space ManTM?
Nothing at all. In fact, they're highly encouraged to draw the same conclusions by the public education system.

EDIT: Unless you mean the conclusion that spaceflight is impossible (which the Space Man™ never reached). In that case, my answer would be the lack of the extreme boatloads of money needed to do everything that NASA was claiming to do while it was busy being a money-laundering scheme and assassinating those who expose it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:59:55 PM by pizaaplanet »

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »

People see high up pictures of a flat earth all the time, and mistakenly assume it is spherical.
God is real.

Offline Misero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 10:20:28 PM »
This is off topic of what I'm asking. Do you think the conspiracy would take action against a country spreading the word, if they simply manage to get high enough to see the Ice Wall or something that implies the Earth being flat?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 10:28:01 PM »
Do you think the conspiracy would take action against a country spreading the word, if they simply manage to get high enough to see the Ice Wall or something that implies the Earth being flat?
Your question is unanswerable, because it would never happen in the first place.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 08:28:57 PM »
Ok can I start by saying that I just found out about this site and it is about a million times more civilised than theflatearthsociety.org

Can I also point out that the question is not about whether or not they could do it, it was what would happen if they did.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:44 PM »
It's highly unlikely that the conspiracy has done enough legitimate work to even know that the earth is flat, so they'd probably be as confused as everyone else.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 03:50:14 AM »
Ok can I start by saying that I just found out about this site and it is about a million times more civilised than theflatearthsociety.org

Can I also point out that the question is not about whether or not they could do it, it was what would happen if they did.

The other site has a few good people on it, but it's mostly idiots. A lot of the old regulars only post in the lower fora, and a lot of the people who post in the upper fora are... less than serious.

Anyway, I suppose we're operating under pure hypotheticals right now. It's probably silly to speculate on what would happen if a nation with a burgeoning space program would do if they discovered that the Earth was flat. To be honest, they'd probably think there was some error in their results somehow. People tend to be pretty stubborn about the shape of the Earth. They might even go so far as to lie to fit in. It doesn't do a country a whole lot of favors to go against mainstream science on something like that. The responsible decision any sober leader would make would never be to announce they had discovered the Earth was flat. North Korea might do it, I suppose, but no one would listen to them.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 04:00:40 AM »
If you're asking whether or not the Conspiracy would take direct action against a nation claiming to have proven that the Earth is flat, the answer is most definitely not. Any attempt to silence the claims would give them credence. If a nation randomly claimed that the reason their space program failed was that the Earth is flat, the media would do the Conspiracy's job for it. The nation would be ripped to shreds in the court of public opinion without NASA raising a finger.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ