Saddam Hussein

Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:15 AM »
Please refer to /r/darksouls for the DS2 hype train.

I'll not refer to reddit for anything.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2014, 04:39:36 AM »
Easier than what? Dark Souls isn't hard either. Based on my beta impressions, I'd say they're around the same difficulty. In fact, I probably died more in the beta than I would in an average Dark Souls playthrough, but I'd say that's mostly attributed to playing the game as if it was the original Dark Souls and getting fucked over by the gameplay changes as a result.

So does you being a balkno extend into other parts of your life, or do you just keep it to video games?  I can totally imagine you buying an ice cream, eating it, and then complaining that the ice cream sucked because now all you have in your hand is the little stick.  Or doing a crossword puzzle and then complaining that it was terrible because now it's been filled in.

wat

It's almost as if you're trying to say that Dark Souls wouldn't be a great game without being difficult. Why are you such a balkno?

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2014, 04:53:28 AM »
Please refer to /r/darksouls for the DS2 hype train.

I'll not refer to reddit for anything.

You'd be right at home in /r/gaming.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:07 AM »
I changed my mind, I don't think I want to play the same games as Reddit.

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2014, 05:56:34 AM »
Dark Souls is far too popular for Blanko.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »
Easier than what? Dark Souls isn't hard either. Based on my beta impressions, I'd say they're around the same difficulty. In fact, I probably died more in the beta than I would in an average Dark Souls playthrough, but I'd say that's mostly attributed to playing the game as if it was the original Dark Souls and getting fucked over by the gameplay changes as a result.

So does you being a balkno extend into other parts of your life, or do you just keep it to video games?  I can totally imagine you buying an ice cream, eating it, and then complaining that the ice cream sucked because now all you have in your hand is the little stick.  Or doing a crossword puzzle and then complaining that it was terrible because now it's been filled in.

wat

It's almost as if you're trying to say that Dark Souls wouldn't be a great game without being difficult. Why are you such a balkno?

No.  What I'm saying is that you have this bizarre tendency to judge video games after you've essentially exhausted them - and then retroactively applying those judgments to the game as a whole.  It makes no sense.  Dark Souls is absolutely a very difficult game, and you've probably stated as such at least half a dozen times on the old site.  It may be simple for you now, but that doesn't mean that the game magically became easier, it means that you got better at it after playing it so much.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2014, 03:36:55 PM »

wat

No.  What I'm saying is that you have this bizarre tendency to judge video games after you've essentially exhausted them - and then retroactively applying those judgments to the game as a whole.  It makes no sense.  Dark Souls is absolutely a very difficult game, and you've probably stated as such at least half a dozen times on the old site.  It may be simple for you now, but that doesn't mean that the game magically became easier, it means that you got better at it after playing it so much.

You're mistaking being bad at video games for the game being difficult. Granted, I did so as well, and only later did I realize how mistaken I was (there was some fanboy mentality as well). I could pick up a game like CoD and do absolutely terrible in it, but that doesn't mean the game is hard. I'm just bad at it. As for Dark Souls, I just don't see what's that difficult about it; there's no one-hit deaths, enemies don't hit you very hard, you have an ample and constantly available source of potent healing items which can be used in very generous timing windows, there's no RNG and there's nothing in the game that's mechanically challenging in execution (at least in PvE). Moreover, the upgrade system makes you outscale the power of your enemies very easily.

Mind you, that's not a "judgment" of the game. I just happen to think the game is fair, that's all. I absolutely do not believe it would be a better game if it was harder. It's just a little annoying to me that Dark Souls is just a "difficult game" for a lot of people when it succeeds on so many other levels.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:43:36 PM by Blanko »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
Pressure plates? Dark corridors? I gave up on the second friendly NPC in the game, because he spawn-camped me.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
Pressure plates? Dark corridors? I gave up on the second friendly NPC in the game, because he spawn-camped me.

I told you about spawn camping, bro.

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2014, 09:01:04 PM »
How could you be bad at CoD when you played Tribes? It's the easiest shooter in the world and requires absolutely no planning or forethought to succeed. Just run and shoot.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »
How could you be bad at CoD when you played Tribes? It's the easiest shooter in the world and requires absolutely no planning or forethought to succeed. Just run and shoot.

Really? I never used automatics in Tribes so I don't know how that comparison is at all relevant. Totally different styles of gameplay.

Anyway, you die really fast in CoD. I don't get it!

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »
Tribes requires crazy good twitch aiming to blue plate, and timing to hit them as they land. In CoD everyone is moving slower and the target is much larger, so you have less room to screw it up. Then there's the stupid run and gun format that takes no planning at all.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »
I wouldn't call Tribes twitchy, you can lead shots literally seconds in advance or during reloads due to the way air control works. You don't need quick aim, you just need good prediction. And when you do get hit from behind for example, it's fairly safe to air around for a recovery. In CoD if you get shot from behind, you're just fucked.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2014, 10:18:32 PM »
In CoD if you get shot from behind, you're just fucked.

So don't get shot from behind, you scrub.

« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2014, 11:35:44 PM »
I think close range shooting was quite twitchy, especially when trying to blue plate people.  But there was nothing as satisfying as pulling off a beautifully lead mid air blue plate.

I miss that game, it's too bad HiRez are such opportunistic twats. I think the Australian community is completely dead now.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2014, 02:05:31 AM »
I told you about spawn camping, bro.
B-but, bad vidya game design!

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2014, 02:09:02 AM »
I still haven't played this game. I don't own an xbox controller and I really don't feel like going through the whole obnoxious setup in order to get my PS3 controller working on my PC again.

From videos I've seen of it I'm not missing anything though.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2014, 02:19:34 AM »
I dunno man, you're missing out on controls designed to be far more complex than the controller was ever meant to be. That's something videos just can't convey.

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2014, 03:00:33 AM »
I still haven't played this game. I don't own an xbox controller and I really don't feel like going through the whole obnoxious setup in order to get my PS3 controller working on my PC again.

The controller setup is a pain in the ass, but it's worth it.