Re: Curvature ?
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2016, 04:47:02 AM »
Cloudy weather + rough water = dark water. Have you ever seen a big lake or ocean before? I see views like that all the time. Anybody else who has spent enough time around large bodies of water can confirm this.
I don't know what's wrong with you. Water surface reflects light and it should be sparkling with the color of the bright highlights glaringly visible in the sky. I live near the Pacific coast and have seen many, many sunsets over the ocean. I've seen them over bays. I've seen them over lakes.

The tops of the clouds are bright orange, as seen from a sharp angle. But the bottom of the clouds clearly aren't. Why is it surprising that the thick clouds are blocking most of the direct light? Also, they might be using a polarizing filter. Pretty common for taking photos of sunsets.

You literally just said this several posts up:
So you reject photographic evidence if it contradicts your preconceived notions.

Does the irony of this situation strike you at all?
If I were to have said I reject the photo simply because the lower portions of are occluded, but I didn't. The color of the bright orange highlights in the sky doesn't show in the water at all. I'd have to be an idiot to accept such a shoddy composite as real.

It just seems like you are really quick to shout "fake" for a picture randomly chosen off the internet that has no reason to be faked, and for which there are plenty of other good explanations for the lack of specular lighting.

Also, why do you keep calling it a composite? Not all fakes are composites, and not all composites are fakes. What makes you think this is a composite photo?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 05:42:50 AM by TotesNotReptilian »

totallackey

Re: Curvature ?
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2016, 09:46:51 PM »
Of course it is a composite photo in the sense that it is the combination of signals from a number of sensors. I believe these satellites have sensors for eight separate wavelengths, covering at least the infra-red and visible ranges.

You're right about that, the visible-light images are a three channel composite of red, blue, and green, while the infrared and the water vapor images are composites of multiple infrared wavelengths.  Color-compositing is not unique to satellite photography, either.  It is how CCD and CMOS sensors in all digital cameras work.  In essence, EVERY photo taken today is a color-composite photo!

But of course when most people say "composite" they're not talking about color-composite, they're talking about stitching multiple small images into one large image, which is not how the Advanced Himawari Imager aboard these satellites is achieving the full-disk image.  The field of view is wide enough to capture the image in one shot.

Horse hockey...

Did you even view the entire page you provided?