The Mastery.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox users are bricking their consoles
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »
To all those who said hefty dev stuff should be more securely kept away in xbones, I present this:

In reality, this would overwrite all of your hard drive with random data. What should we do in that case. Disallow the operating system from writing to the hard drive?

It's really impossible to stop people from shooting themselves in the foot. They'll always find a way. The key to solving this is education.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2013, 01:04:28 PM »
In reality, this would overwrite all of your hard drive with random data.

Not necessarily.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2013, 01:57:42 PM »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
Fucking up your HD is not as bad as bricking your Xbox.  Unless you have a lot of unbacked up data you need.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »
Fucking up your HD is not as bad as bricking your Xbox.  Unless you have a lot of unbacked up data you need.

Not necessarily.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
Unless you have a lot of unbacked up data you need.
Which most people dumb enough to believe this crap will probably have.

Fucking up your HD is not as bad as bricking your Xbox.
I disagree. Your HDD is likely to have stuff that's *actually* important. Xbone is for video games and watching shitty movies.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
I had to share this:

http://blog.games.com/2013/11/26/3/

The Xbone is better because Kinect and gamerscore.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »
I had to share this:

http://blog.games.com/2013/11/26/3/

The Xbone is better because Kinect and gamerscore.
YOU CAN STILL USE YOUR LOGIN ON THE OLD CONSOLE OMG

« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
That works on the PS4 as well I'd assume.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2015, 02:35:05 AM »
I'm not a PC gamer because I'm not a computer expert.  It's as simple as that.  If assembling, modifying, and customizing computers came as easily to me as it apparently does to all the enthusiasts on the Internet, then I'd probably become one too.  You can say it's "easy" or "obvious" all you want, but it's not to me.  And I'm not alone.  Like it or not, the vast majority of people don't understand computers well enough to become a competent PC gamer.  It's not because we're stupid or lazy, or because we're all strictly "casual" gamers, it's because we have different interests, different strengths and weaknesses, etc.  People are like that.  Consoles are popular because they don't require that level of investment and technical expertise.  And alas, the PC gaming community will most likely never understand this, and will therefore never understand why the rest of the gaming community sees them as arrogant pricks.

What a dumbass.  It's not that hard to build a computer, moron.  You should try it yourself if you ever get tired of being a dirty console peasant.  Also:

It still completely blows my mind that you play Kingdom Hearts. This is the only time I'll say this but Rushy, you're adorable.

The liars on here.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:39:12 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2015, 02:47:56 AM »
That was the start of it. How cute.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2015, 02:49:07 AM »
I'm not a PC gamer because I'm not a computer expert.  It's as simple as that.  If assembling, modifying, and customizing computers came as easily to me as it apparently does to all the enthusiasts on the Internet, then I'd probably become one too.  You can say it's "easy" or "obvious" all you want, but it's not to me.  And I'm not alone.  Like it or not, the vast majority of people don't understand computers well enough to become a competent PC gamer.  It's not because we're stupid or lazy, or because we're all strictly "casual" gamers, it's because we have different interests, different strengths and weaknesses, etc.  People are like that.  Consoles are popular because they don't require that level of investment and technical expertise.  And alas, the PC gaming community will most likely never understand this, and will therefore never understand why the rest of the gaming community sees them as arrogant pricks.

You could have saved us all some time and simply written "hurr durr"
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Thork

« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
To all those who said hefty dev stuff should be more securely kept away in xbones, I present this:

In reality, this would overwrite all of your hard drive with random data. What should we do in that case. Disallow the operating system from writing to the hard drive?

It's really impossible to stop people from shooting themselves in the foot. They'll always find a way. The key to solving this is education.

I think posting deliberately destructive code like this should be a criminal offense. It costs people time and money. And I don't mean a kid reposting it on 4chan. I mean they should hunt down the original author and look to give them 15 years in prison. If you total up all the damage that is done by all the reposting of this ... it going to be a lot of money. It is a serious crime and the NSA and GCHQ should put energy into finding people like this to prosecute.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2015, 06:29:55 PM »
I think posting deliberately destructive code like this should be a criminal offense. It costs people time and money. And I don't mean a kid reposting it on 4chan. I mean they should hunt down the original author and look to give them 15 years in prison. If you total up all the damage that is done by all the reposting of this ... it going to be a lot of money. It is a serious crime and the NSA and GCHQ should put energy into finding people like this to prosecute.

How do you propose that the original author be hunted down? And, were the NSA to hunt down said person, it is likely they would be Russian or Chinese. What would we do? Request an extradition that will be completely ignored? Invade?

In computer security, defense is everything. Concentrating on eliminating offense oriented malware is a waste of time.

Thork

« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2015, 06:38:42 PM »

How do you propose that the original author be hunted down? And, were the NSA to hunt down said person, it is likely they would be Russian or Chinese. What would we do? Request an extradition that will be completely ignored? Invade?

In computer security, defense is everything. Concentrating on eliminating offense oriented malware is a waste of time.
I have no doubt that was written by a white American aged between 17-25.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »
And what are you basing this profile on?