Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox users are bricking their consoles
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2013, 02:33:58 AM »
I would talk shit about people who buy them, but as soon as Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out I am getting a PS4. It's inevitable.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2013, 02:36:49 AM »
It still completely blows my mind that you play Kingdom Hearts. This is the only time I'll say this but Rushy, you're adorable.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2013, 02:37:03 AM »
Yes, because people buy consoles.

It is indeed a vicious cycle. Buuut I'm not going to sit out of amazing exclusives just to make some statement.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2013, 02:49:02 AM »
I can make a statement for everyone, because the only thing I'd ever touch is a Wii U.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2013, 02:50:24 AM »
It still completely blows my mind that you play Kingdom Hearts. This is the only time I'll say this but Rushy, you're adorable.

It is a manly man game for men. I'd beat the shit out of people with a giant key, wouldn't you?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2013, 03:35:22 AM »
I'm not a PC gamer because I'm not a computer expert.  It's as simple as that.  If assembling, modifying, and customizing computers came as easily to me as it apparently does to all the enthusiasts on the Internet, then I'd probably become one too.  You can say it's "easy" or "obvious" all you want, but it's not to me.  And I'm not alone.  Like it or not, the vast majority of people don't understand computers well enough to become a competent PC gamer.  It's not because we're stupid or lazy, or because we're all strictly "casual" gamers, it's because we have different interests, different strengths and weaknesses, etc.  People are like that.  Consoles are popular because they don't require that level of investment and technical expertise.  And alas, the PC gaming community will most likely never understand this, and will therefore never understand why the rest of the gaming community sees them as arrogant pricks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:39:00 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2013, 03:43:37 AM »
It's not because we're stupid or lazy
Actually, for some most, those descriptors are perfectly accurate.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2013, 03:46:21 AM »
I didn't rule out the possibility of being stupid or lazy.  I'm merely pointing out that choosing to be a console gamer does not indicate either.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2013, 04:02:21 AM »
Steam's working on that. Although you could just walk into a store and buy an ok-ish pre-assembled PC since 1998.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2013, 04:15:19 AM »
Steam's working on that. Although you could just walk into a store and buy an ok-ish pre-assembled PC since 1998.

I have never gotten an in-store PC at console price that wasn't notably worse than consoles and just generally didn't suck in various ways.

Case in point: the one I am on right now. It's two years old and about as powerful as an Atari 2600. >:[

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2013, 06:06:28 AM »
I'm not a PC gamer because I'm not a computer expert.  It's a simple as that.  If assembling, modifying, and customizing computers came as easily to me as it apparently does to all the enthusiasts on the Internet, then I'd probably become one too.  You can say it's "easy" or "obvious" all you want, but it's not to me.  And I'm not alone.  Like it or not, the vast majority of people don't understand computers well enough to become a competent PC gamer.  It's not because we're stupid or lazy, or because we're all strictly "casual" gamers, it's because we have different interests, different strengths and weaknesses, etc.  People are like that.  Consoles are popular because they don't require that level of investment and technical expertise.  And alas, the PC gaming community will most likely never understand this, and will therefore never understand why the rest of the gaming community sees them as arrogant pricks.
Have you considered being less lazy and stupid? It'll probably help you understand computers better.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »
I'm not a PC gamer because I'm not a computer expert.  It's a simple as that.  If assembling, modifying, and customizing computers came as easily to me as it apparently does to all the enthusiasts on the Internet, then I'd probably become one too.  You can say it's "easy" or "obvious" all you want, but it's not to me.  And I'm not alone.  Like it or not, the vast majority of people don't understand computers well enough to become a competent PC gamer.  It's not because we're stupid or lazy, or because we're all strictly "casual" gamers, it's because we have different interests, different strengths and weaknesses, etc.  People are like that.  Consoles are popular because they don't require that level of investment and technical expertise.  And alas, the PC gaming community will most likely never understand this, and will therefore never understand why the rest of the gaming community sees them as arrogant pricks.

I give this pasta a 6/10.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2013, 06:59:53 AM »

I thought so too, but if it is pasta it's pretty obscure, because I can't find it.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2013, 07:32:03 AM »

This. I know Windows is a hassle to get working right, but Steam works out of the box on Debian (and probably other major modern Linux distributions, too) on supported hardware. There are vendors that sell computers with Debian pre-installed too, if you'd care to take the time to look for one, and they'll select good hardware for you. You could even ask one of those "enthusiasts" who knows their shit if the computer you're about to buy is actually any good before you spend the money.

Then, guess what? You just bought a console that can both run any game on Steam for Linux, and function as a general-purpose computer. Simple.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2013, 07:32:38 AM »

This. I know Windows is a hassle to get working right, but Steam works out of the box on Debian (and probably other major modern Linux distributions, too) on supported hardware. There are vendors that sell computers with Debian pre-installed too, if you'd care to take the time to look for one, and they'll select good hardware for you. You could even ask one of those "enthusiasts" who knows their shit if the computer you're about to buy is actually any good before you spend the money.

Then, guess what? You just bought a console that can both run any game on Steam for Linux, and function as a general-purpose computer. Simple.

« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2013, 08:02:19 AM »
I have them all, PC and consoles. Although I do prefer to play PC games. I like playing strategy games which requires the versatility of a keyboard.

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2013, 09:07:54 AM »

I'm a dumbass but still managed to put a PC together. There's plenty of websites, stores and people out there that will tell you exactly what to buy depending on your needs. Putting it together is basically just lego, but slightly more complicated.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
I'm mostly a console gamer (apart from for strategy games) for a couple of reasons, firstly, as Saddam said, I'm not really a computer person and I'm not particularly inclined to spend a great deal of time and energy learning how to become one just for an entertainment system.

Secondly, I prefer games to be something I can share with people around me (Flatmates, partners, family, friends, parties) and you can't really do that with PC games. It's why the Gamecube was my favourite of the last-gen consoles - you could stick four controllers in and have a great time with Mario Kart, Smash Bros, FPSs, etc.

I don't want to play multiplayer with a swearing kid in America over headphones, I want to play multiplayer with my friends in the same room so that you can punch them in the arm when they use a cheaty blue shell for the fifth time in a race! I was honestly shocked that when Burnout: Paradise was released for Ps3 it had no split-screen multiplayer mode - surely that should be standard for racing games?

Unlike a lot of gamers who grew up playing them as a largely solitary experience, I always played games with my brother or my Dad or my friends. Even when it was a 1 player game, we'd help beat the game together and swap over the controller when one of us lost a life. Some of the biggest rows in my house came from gaming arguments (My Mom actually banned us from playing Worms for a while because of the domestic apocalypse it wrought.)

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »
I'm not sure why people seem to think that playing games on PC requires any special knowledge. Very few games require you to actually build a powerful PC, and even then there's plenty of retailers that provide parts lists and assembling services. Sure, it'll cost more than a console, but the games cost a lot less. Installing games is also easy as heck, thanks to ubiquitous online game retailers. Occasionally, you might have problems with playing or installation, but it's usually fixed by googling it for help. The only gaming that has required special knowledge has been playing emulators, or getting pirated games to run.

Secondly, I prefer games to be something I can share with people around me (Flatmates, partners, family, friends, parties) and you can't really do that with PC games. It's why the Gamecube was my favourite of the last-gen consoles - you could stick four controllers in and have a great time with Mario Kart, Smash Bros, FPSs, etc.

I suppose this is where the difference lies. Whenever I play with friends, it's always boring run'n'guns like CoD or Halo, since no one owns the Nintendo consoles. Playing almost exclusively on PC nowadays has exposed me to a huge social atmosphere, and given me friends from a huge diversity of gaming communities.

I also miss those games immensely. I grew up on Smash Bros 64 and the Mario Karts. Good times.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
Sure, it'll cost more than a console, but the games cost a lot less

This is probably the best argument for PC. I've got so many amazing games on Steam and I've spent so little. And I mean triple-A games, hugely acclaimed games ,sprawling games, everything, often for ~$6 for several of them at once thanks to all the bundles you can find around the internet. Then Steam's sales—not even their Summer sales, but just the sales they have weekly—make it really hard to argue that a PC is more expensive. If you buy games, you are doubtlessly going to save a huge load buying them for PC.

also i should point out i have all these games on a pc that can't even play them, that's how good and impossible to pass up these deals are. When I do get a good PC...oh lord I will have so many games to play.

Also, really, Nintendo has the only consoles worth getting, IMO. They're the only ones with experiences you consistently can't have on PC, partly due to the exclusivity of their games and partly because they try new things with the consoles themselves. Whereas Sony/Microsoft will have intermittent exclusives, Nintendo is guaranteed to have a ton every generation, if mostly because their first party games are wonderful.

So that's why I'm probably just going to stick with my Wii U and 3DS this generation. I don't see any real need for a PS4 or a One. I might grab one in a year or a few years from now when they're cheap and have exclusives that aren't worth passing up. Until then my money will be better spent building a gaming PC.

Also, the "exclusives" issue with PS4/One might not be an issue this gen.