Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
When will this **** stop?
« on: June 19, 2015, 03:19:36 AM »
Why are we spending trillions of dollars fighting ISIL and al-Qaeda over seas when we have plenty of domestic terrorists right here at home?
CHARLESTON, S.C. — A white gunman opened fire Wednesday night at a historic black church in downtown Charleston, S.C., killing nine people before fleeing and setting off an overnight manhunt, the police said.

At a news conference with Charleston’s mayor early Thursday, the police chief, Greg Mullen, called the shooting a hate crime.

“It is unfathomable that somebody in today’s society would walk into a church while they are having a prayer meeting and take their lives,” he said.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Re: When will this **** stop?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 03:33:06 AM »
Why are we spending trillions of dollars fighting ISIL and al-Qaeda over seas when we have plenty of domestic terrorists right here at home?
CHARLESTON, S.C. — A white gunman opened fire Wednesday night at a historic black church in downtown Charleston, S.C., killing nine people before fleeing and setting off an overnight manhunt, the police said.

At a news conference with Charleston’s mayor early Thursday, the police chief, Greg Mullen, called the shooting a hate crime.

“It is unfathomable that somebody in today’s society would walk into a church while they are having a prayer meeting and take their lives,” he said.

I think we classify domestic terrorism in the same category as mass murder, where it's sad and outrageous but we're used to it, and it's more of an issue for police and gun control, whereas foreign terrorists are exotic and exciting. We're not willing to treat domestic terrorism as an equal threat to terrorism from the middle east for the same reason that we wouldn't spend trillions of dollars to end gang violence. It's boring.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 07:59:41 AM »
Considering the mess that our trillions of dollars have had on the region, are you sure that you want that gaze turned inwards?

I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »
inb4 insimultaneousto another TFES race war

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/black-americans-are-killed-at-12-times-the-rate-of-people-in-other-developed-countries/

What is more interesting is that the vast majority of black Americans are killed by other black Americans. Black men represent 50% of all homicides, but only 7% of the total population of the US.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:09:13 PM by Rushy »

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
Considering the mess that our trillions of dollars have had on the region, are you sure that you want that gaze turned inwards?

True. But it's interesting what spurs us to action and what doesn't.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »

Those who fear the possibility of domestic change beyond their control encourage constant distractions like ISIS or whatever precisely to deflect significant focused attention from domestic problems. 

American wealthy have done this since Europeans first settled.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:54:52 PM by Dionysios »

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 10:15:32 PM »
You can spend trillions of dollars on foreign wars while enacting social change.

Do we know why he did it yet?

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 04:32:30 AM »
inb4 insimultaneousto another TFES race war

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/black-americans-are-killed-at-12-times-the-rate-of-people-in-other-developed-countries/

What is more interesting is that the vast majority of black Americans are killed by other black Americans. Black men represent 50% of all homicides, but only 7% of the total population of the US.

I think this is probably a reflection of the fact that US cities are extremely segregated.  As the article mentions, that's not the case if you control for proximity: you're much more likely to be murdered by someone you know than by a stranger, regardless of race.  When controlling for proximity, blacks are more likely to be murdered by whites when the parties involved are strangers.  Apparently.  The article doesn't cite source for those claims.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 01:14:37 PM »
I think this is probably a reflection of the fact that US cities are extremely segregated.  As the article mentions, that's not the case if you control for proximity: you're much more likely to be murdered by someone you know than by a stranger, regardless of race.  When controlling for proximity, blacks are more likely to be murdered by whites when the parties involved are strangers.  Apparently.  The article doesn't cite source for those claims.

Maybe if the majority of blacks stopped listening to "pop a cap in that ass" music, they'd stop popping a cap in each others asses. To find out what someone thinks is important to them, listen to the music they listen to.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
Why are we spending trillions of dollars fighting ISIL and al-Qaeda over seas
Presumably because we don't want to wait until they grow to be a force to be reckoned with, given that their official agenda is "death to America, death to the West".
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »

Maybe if the majority of blacks stopped listening to "pop a cap in that ass" music, they'd stop popping a cap in each others asses. To find out what someone thinks is important to them, listen to the music they listen to.

Yes, I'm sure that is the correct order of causality.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »

Yes, I'm sure that is the correct order of causality.

>implying music doesn't perpetuate le problem

Thork

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 10:56:19 PM »
Today I listened to Tom Jones. I don't feel the need to murder women named Delilah, it is becoming unusual for me to be loved by anyone and I don't miss the green green grass of home.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 11:09:39 AM »
Today I listened to Tom Jones. I don't feel the need to murder women named Delilah, it is becoming unusual for me to be loved by anyone and I don't miss the green green grass of home.

Listening to a song isn't what I'm taking about. Constantly listening to a certain category is. If you listened exclusively to murder music, chances are you identify with it.

No one is going to consistently listen to songs that don't represent what they want or identify with in their own life.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 01:11:44 PM »
Music is a product of a violent life, not the cause of it. If you don't live in an environment where violence is a daily fact of life, it's very likely that you'll not be likely to initiate violence from listening to violent music.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
Music is a product of a violent life, not the cause of it. If you don't live in an environment where violence is a daily fact of life, it's very likely that you'll not be likely to initiate violence from listening to violent music.

No one claimed any of that to not be true.