Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
Wow, these ships are ugly.

I actually don't believe you believe this.

Thork

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 07:51:13 PM »

Being an Englishmen who watches Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson, I have to say that was really rather good.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »
They have a team of two guys that do those commercials. They more-or-less use the commercials to test different features, here they were trying to improve the facial movements and speech. It was before they fully implemented their motion capture studio and now, according to the devs, the actors look and feel more realistic (they have yet to actually release the new visuals, though). The most interesting thing about the commercials is they are not pre-rendered, but rather run through the engine as normal and then recorded. The graphics you see in their commercials are the game's current graphics, so being in alpha the ships look nice but the actors are still a bit shoddy.

They plan to release the First-Person shooter aspect of the game within a few weeks and presumably that update will include the new motion capture actors.

Thork

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »
Yeah look, I don't care about the game. I don't play games. I just liked the advert.

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 08:23:35 PM »
Yeah look, I don't care about the game. I don't play games. I just liked the advert.

>posting in a thread about games

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2015, 01:35:18 AM »

It appears that people really like the new ship...

Ghost of V

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2015, 01:37:51 AM »
Or one guy donated a lot of money.

Rama Set

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2015, 01:54:33 AM »
Rushy tax sheltered his Bitcoin gains in Star Citizen willing to trade monetary gain for a shot at the uber ship.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2015, 01:58:03 AM »
In hindsight I'm actually pretty glad that the horde of idiots I was with ended up being faster than I was. While I have spent an awfully stupid amount of money on this game, $2500 would have been a whole new level of dumb.

Ghost of V

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 01:58:38 AM »
$2500 would have been a whole new level of dumb.

You're just realizing that now?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2015, 02:00:54 AM »
$2500 would have been a whole new level of dumb.

You're just realizing that now?

No, I realized it before I even tried buying it. In fact, given the chance, I would still try to buy it. Knowing something is dumb doesn't bar me from doing it anyway.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
After reading about the mining profession in this game, I'm thoroughly pumped. All I want to do is pilot a big ass space freighter in the middle of the night, listening to nothing but the thrum of my engines and miscellaneous status updates by the ship's AI all while traversing brilliant, celestial backdrops.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2015, 10:40:05 PM »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2015, 02:37:59 AM »
Star Citizen at PAX East is showing off a lot of new features, so be prepared for more posts from me which you probably care nothing about anyway.

First part of below video is the new dynamic damage system. The previous system they used had to be done by hand for each part. Now damage uses a mostly dynamic damage state based on the weapon used. The second part is the new dynamic weapon state combined with the overall damage system (parts shearing off). Notice during the latter part of the video that bullets actually have a velocity impact. That is, bullets actually affect the ship's movement.

I found the design document on the new damage system: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14568-Design-The-New-Damage-System

Below is the newest ship added to the hangar (meaning it is fully modeled, but not yet flight ready). Oh look, it has an interior. Take notes, Frontier. You might notice the huge torpedoes in it, its planned role is to be a long range torpedo bomber for striking capital ships. The game also has shorter range single-manned bombers that will have to launch from planetside or carriers.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:55:24 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2015, 05:56:32 AM »
Sweet dude when does this game come out again?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »

The two videos I just showed you are playable portions. You don't have to spend real money to get the ships anymore. Why are you still whining? Are you upset that this game makes babby's first space sim look like old poo? Star Citizen even has a real physics flight model!

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2015, 07:14:51 PM »

The two videos I just showed you are playable portions. You don't have to spend real money to get the ships anymore. Why are you still whining? Are you upset that this game makes babby's first space sim look like old poo? Star Citizen even has a real physics flight model!

There was nothing in his post to indicate he was whining.

Ghost of V

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2015, 08:45:19 PM »
I'm pretty ignorant of this game and Rushy likes talking about it, so can you ELI5 what you do in it? I've been enjoying some military jet sims lately with my new joystick and I'd love a space sim to have a go at.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2015, 11:51:14 PM »
There was nothing in his post to indicate he was whining.

And this is why you fail.

I'm pretty ignorant of this game and Rushy likes talking about it, so can you ELI5 what you do in it? I've been enjoying some military jet sims lately with my new joystick and I'd love a space sim to have a go at.

Well as of right now, that really is all you can do - play a military combat simulator in "jets". The game uses a fully physics based flight model, and as such, it won't be like flying other jet sims (if you're looking for airplanes in space, look no further than Elite: Dangerous). The learning curve is obnoxious, but after you get used to it the combat is unique, especially against players in faster ships that try to hide around asteroids.

Later this month the game will introduce the First Person Shooter mode. The multi-crew ships (ships with multiple people in them) planned for release some time this Summer. As the game moves toward 2016 they plan total intergration of all the individual game modes into one huge Persistent Universe which will be an MMO.

There are no subscription fees for this game and it is a crowdfunded game. Thus, you are free to pledge ridiculous amounts of money towards the game or you can just buy the cheapest game pack (sitting at $30). Keep in mind if you buy the cheapest pack you won't get access to the alpha and beta modules, but you will get the complete game when it comes out (which will probably be late 2016). The cheapest game pack for beta access is $45. You'll have to pay an additional $5 for each module because they stopped selling alpha packages. (again, you can just wait it out until the game enters beta, which is the beta Persistent Universe sometime in early 2016).

If you're interested in playing the game immediately then go here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/fly-now

Before you ask, yes they both suck balls in multiplayer, but lucky you they add the credit system on Tuesday so you don't have to pay le real monies for the spacey ships.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:54:28 PM by Irushwithscvs »