Rama Set

Re: Star Trek
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
I loved the finale.  I thought it was a clever way to end the series without just saying "Oh they found a wormhole.  All done."

A better way to end the series would have been to kill off everyone on Voyager and have them never reach home. Just once, I'd like to see a sci-fi show with the balls to go against the grain like that.

I don't think you would enjoy this as much as you think you would.  Unless it was maybe to prevent an all-out invasion of Species 8472 in to Federation space or something, that could work.  I did really like that Janeway seemed really surprised when her plan actually worked, which was pretty cool. 

Battlestar Galactica (the 2004 series) probably comes closest, of the ones I'm familiar with.

Huh, I always thought the ending to Battlestar, although emotionally rewarding, was pretty close to Voyageur.

Starbuck fills the same sort of role as Future Janeway and it is sort of Deus Ex Machina in that way.  They did kill the President, but I did not think it was too against the grain.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2015, 05:15:01 PM »
Pongo's review of Star Trek:

TOS: The usual.  About a third of the episodes are great, two thirds are awful.  I don't know what stands out more episodes I liked like "Amok Time," "Who Mourns for Adonais," or "The Trouble with Tribbles," or the episodes where McCoy is suddenly deeply southern and making out with Easter Bunnies, the Enterprise visits the mobster planet, or the episode the Enterprise visits the Native American planet to teach us all what assholes explorers/conquerors are.  In the end, these "faux pas" of episodes are forgivable for taking TV science fiction where no show has gone before. The cast was great and undoubtedly the overall strongest part of the entire series.

TAS:  Didn't watch it.  Don't know if I ever will.

TNG: I'm not sure I can give an unbiased review; it's hard to see the series without looking through nostalgia-tinted glasses.  However, I did re-watch the series about 4 years ago and here are some of my comments.  I'm was glad when Denise Crosby's character Tasha Yar was killed off when the actor decided to leave the show.  However, her character's death was awkward and they couldn't seem to go very long without finding a way to bring her back around.  Gates McFadden, of The Labyrinth fame, was mysteriously missing in season 2.  What's that about?  The second half of the show's run-life was orders of immeasurable magnitudes better than the first half.  Wesley Crusher became a warp-being and shows up again in the last TNG movie?  Odd.  All of the holodecks should have been recalled to whatever Mexican factory they were made in.  All said and done, the series stands the test of time and is still very good.

DS9: Overall the best density of good episodes in any series and what I would probably say is my favorite.  The casting wasn't as good as other shows, but many individual performances were just as great.  I liked the long story arcs that was new to the franchise.  Not many criticisms, the show stands on its own performance.

VOY: I always find it ponderous when someone says that Voyager was their favorite series.  Sometimes I wonder if it's simply the series that they started on (the same way your first doctor is your favorite).  More likely it's simply a matter of differing tastes.  I found it strange that in the opening episodes they find a desert nomad that becomes a reoccurring villain.  I thought you were traveling at warp speeds to the Alpha Quadrant?  How does this guy keep showing up?  With the exception of The Doctor's Herculean, nay, Atlantean performance, none of the cast was anything but bland.  They may have well just named them Ensign The Asian One, Captain Woman, Tom Flyboy, Black Vulcan, Anachronistic Native American, or The Half Klingon of House Tension Ensues.  Some of the characters, most notably Ethan Phillips's character Neelix, I found to be an actively grating presence on screen.  Whats-more, the writers seemed to make an abundance of Neelix-heavy episodes, and they were all just terrible.  I'll only re-watch when I'm re-watching the franchise (Which I'm sure will happen again one day).

ENT:  I liked this one.  The cast wasn't all that great, in fact I only liked Connor Trinneer's character Trip and John Billingsley's Dr, Phlox.  After the first half of season one, the show really picked up.  I liked the submarine-feel of the bridge and the darkness in the Xindi season.  It seemed to miss the mark of "the first steps in exploring the galaxy", but with a better cast I believe this series could have been one of the greats.

Movies: All I can say about these is that they are what they are.  I heard they green-lit the first movie after seeing the success of Star Wars.  Without that, TNG may never have been made.  Many of the movies just felt like long TV episodes with better special effects.  Which I suppose is the problem with bringing a TV series to the big screen.  The new ones are entertaining Sci-fi movies, but seem to have little to do with TOS other than names.  They also seem to switch things just for the sake of switching it.  Like the Uhura kiss, the death of Kirk/Spock, and so on.  I also don't like the "different time line" thing.  I've invested deeply with the character's plights from the standard line so this just feels like a dream episode (you know, at the end the character wakes up and you find out everything you just watched was pointless).  If you're not contributing the standard timeline then it feels to me that you're just writing fan fiction.  Still though, the new movies are entertaining.

How do you feel about the new Star Trek: Renegade trailer?  I think it's neat.  I'm glad they "cast" Corin Nemec.  That guy can't lose.

Ghost of V

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2015, 05:26:32 PM »
Tuvok, played by Tim Russ, is apparently in Renegades. So I'm already sold.

Overall, I think your reviews are accurate and I agree with most of them. I am still in the process of watching Enterprise, and I just got to the end of Season 1. What a great season finale and concept in general. I love the whole Temporal Cold War idea. I thought it was a bit stupid and gimmicky at first, but it's actually becoming fairly interesting.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:30:57 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »

His name is Black Vulcan.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »
I don't think a Vulcan would age that much in just 10 years.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »

His name is Black Vulcan.

Tuvok is the best vulcan. See what I did there? I avoided a completely off-topic post.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 05:48:06 PM »
It's an independently produced pitch for a TV show.  They crowd funded the money to make it.  Most likely, nothing will come from it, but it's a good proof-of-concept as is both shows there are fans willing to pay to make this and proof of a story line.  Though the "Federation on the brink of Destruction" is something that was played out before...

Ghost of V

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2015, 05:59:48 PM »
Why would the Federation, or Starfleet, think it's a good idea to throw a bunch of criminals on a ship and hope for the best? That's my biggest issue with the concept.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2015, 06:01:48 PM »

What the hell is this?
Still actively looking for things to bitch about, I see.
The Mastery.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2015, 06:04:10 PM »
Why would the Federation, or Starfleet, think it's a good idea to throw a bunch of criminals on a ship and hope for the best? That's my biggest issue with the concept.

I dunno, it worked for Australia.

Ghost of V

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »

I dunno, it worked for Australia.

Oh, you're right. My mistake.

Off topic, but what the hell happened to Vindictus? Where did that criminal rub off to?

Was going to fix the typo, but naw.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »
But how they can make that?  Why aren't they getting sued?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2015, 06:50:33 PM »
Because fuck you, that's why.
The Mastery.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
But how they can make that?  Why aren't they getting sued?

Presumably they have permission and Paramount (or whoever owns the franchise) will be taking a cut of the profits if a network picked up the show.  I can't imagine they gathered that ensemble without having concrete plans in place.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2015, 08:16:05 PM »
Huh, I always thought the ending to Battlestar, although emotionally rewarding, was pretty close to Voyageur.

Starbuck fills the same sort of role as Future Janeway and it is sort of Deus Ex Machina in that way.  They did kill the President, but I did not think it was too against the grain.

I was referring more to the subversion of the underpinning theme of the search for Earth, when they find it and realise it wasn't what they'd hoped for. The actual ending of the series came across as simply settling for the best they could find after that, which is a nice contrast from the usual "everyone gets everything they wanted all series".
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2015, 02:08:02 AM »
I'm glad they "cast" Corin Nemec.  That guy can't lose.

I wonder if anyone else got this besides me.  Do the young folks know about Parker Lewis Can't Lose?

Anyway, "Q Who" is probably where TNG really started to get interesting.  The first appearance of the Borg and it was actually excellent in almost every way... easily, I think, the best episode of the first two seasons.  You put "The Royale" above this, Parsifal?  ???
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline mister bickles

• while there's life, there's hope!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2015, 03:18:39 AM »
i was a fan of the early Star Trek with Cptn Kirk and Spock when i was very young.......
even used to go and watch "Star Trek marathons" @ the local cinema (the "Valhalla".....long gone now! :( )

how-ever, its just another jew/Illuminati/masonic con job......pushing the round Earth/big Universe/aliens meme......

its all part of the "end times deception" where the AntiChrist will mimic an "alien" and there'll be a UFO-type invasion.....that's, pretty much, why the whole Science Fiction genre was invented....

there are NO aliens (only a very large variety of demonic entities/demons and fallen angels), no "solar system"(s)/other 'planets', no galaxies and no "Universe" (as commonly understood).....its all a massive, diabolical deception that has been inflicted on humanity for the last couple of hundred years or so.....

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:21:30 AM by mister bickles »
nisi Dominus frustra

Ghost of V

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2015, 04:47:54 AM »
I'm glad they "cast" Corin Nemec.  That guy can't lose.

I wonder if anyone else got this besides me.  Do the young folks know about Parker Lewis Can't Lose?

Anyway, "Q Who" is probably where TNG really started to get interesting.  The first appearance of the Borg and it was actually excellent in almost every way... easily, I think, the best episode of the first two seasons.  You put "The Royale" above this, Parsifal?  ???

Every Q episode in the series is good, in my opinion. Voyager has about 4 Q episodes. Two of which involve Q's son, Q.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:00:28 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2015, 04:56:00 AM »
Pongo's review of Star Trek:

I forgot to ask...

Would you review Rocky 5000 next?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)