Question about the moon according to FES
« on: May 08, 2020, 06:03:51 PM »
How does the flat earth theory describe the same face of the moon being visible from all places on earth at any given time? The globe theory has a simple explanation, tidal locking, but how can it be explained if the earth is flat?

Offline BRrollin

• View Profile
Re: Question about the moon according to FES
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:08:14 PM »
How does the flat earth theory describe the same face of the moon being visible from all places on earth at any given time? The globe theory has a simple explanation, tidal locking, but how can it be explained if the earth is flat?

To share some of my own experiences, I’ve been to both the northern and Southern Hemispheres. And I saw a “different moon” in Australia than I see on the west coast US.

So I’m not sure that seeing the same face of the moon is accurate.

Just my experience, and I didn’t take any pictures, so I don’t have any visual evidence to support this claim. So I understand if you choose not to believe me :)
“This just shows that you don't even understand the basic principle of UA...A projectile that goes up and then down again to an observer on Earth is not accelerating, it is the observer on Earth who accelerates.”

- Parsifal

“I hang out with sane people.”

- totallackey

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 06:54:27 PM »

To share some of my own experiences, I’ve been to both the northern and Southern Hemispheres. And I saw a “different moon” in Australia than I see on the west coast US.

Just my experience, and I didn’t take any pictures, so I don’t have any visual evidence to support this claim. So I understand if you choose not to believe me :)

You see a rotated moon due to "up" being a different direction when looking at the moon, but should still see the same features.  Same moon, same face, but upside down.

Offline BRrollin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 07:04:29 PM »

You see a rotated moon due to "up" being a different direction when looking at the moon, but should still see the same features.  Same moon, same face, but upside down.

That could be!

I admittedly didn’t consider that and didn’t have it in mind when I was looking. I just remember that it looked different.

An opportunity wasted!
“This just shows that you don't even understand the basic principle of UA...A projectile that goes up and then down again to an observer on Earth is not accelerating, it is the observer on Earth who accelerates.”

- Parsifal

“I hang out with sane people.”

- totallackey

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »
Yeah, you see it a different way up in Australia, you don't see a different face of the moon.
But yes, the fact that we all see the same face and same phase of the moon is an issue for FE when we'd clearly be looking at the moon from very different angles.
There are attempts to explain it in the Wiki, I think by EA?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"