Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Responsible suicide
« on: September 25, 2014, 04:48:51 AM »
Before I begin, please note that this thread is gonna be pretty grim. It will likely contain content that some may find particularly offensive or "triggering". If you suspect you might be one of those people, I'd like to suggest you move along.

I'll cut the crap. It is my personal belief that a person has the right to end their lives if they so desire. No one else should have a say on that person's decision unless the person in question specifically welcomes it. This, however, raises a number of issues. It would be selfish to think that one's suicide doesn't affect their immediate environment. It means work for some, potential trauma for others, and is generally messy and unelegant. Some people will be left with questions, others might blame themselves needlessly.

So, FES, what would you do to minimise the impact of your suicide?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

Re: Responsible suicide
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:53:04 AM »
Before I begin, please note that this thread is gonna be pretty grim. It will likely contain content that some may find particularly offensive or "triggering". If you suspect you might be one of those people, I'd like to suggest you move along.

I'll cut the crap. It is my personal belief that a person has the right to end their lives if they so desire. No one else should have a say on that person's decision unless the person in question specifically welcomes it. This, however, raises a number of issues. It would be selfish to think that one's suicide doesn't affect their immediate environment. It means work for some, potential trauma for others, and is generally messy and unelegant. Some people will be left with questions, others might blame themselves needlessly.

I don't think any rational person wants to kill themself. We all inherently know there's nothing after this. No matter what made up bullshit you want to believe to make yourself feel better. Why would one choose nothing over, say, video games? C'mon now. That's just silly.

To minimize the impact of suicide? Life insurance? If you're really planning on taking yourself out you shouldn't leave your loved ones with nothing. At least pay them for their sorrow.

Does life insurance cover suicide? Sirus question.

If you're asking because you feel depressed and are thinking about it: Take after George Michael and just don't do it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:56:42 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:10:20 AM »
I don't think any rational person wants to kill themself. We all inherently know there's nothing after this. No matter what made up bullshit you want to believe to make yourself feel better. Why would one choose nothing over, say, video games? C'mon now. That's just silly.
I agree that it's an irrational decision for one to make. That said, people make irrational decisions all the time.

Does life insurance cover suicide? Sirus question.
It varies between companies. Many won't cover it at all, some won't cover it if it happens shortly after getting a policy.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 05:14:48 AM »
A negative life is worse than a no life.

Get rid of your connections to the world by slowly fading out of peoples life, it happens all the time nobody will question it. Then find some pills or something and go out to nature to die, leave a note if someone needs to do something with where you lived. Hopefully animals will take care of the body before people find it and get grossed out.
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 05:31:16 AM »
A negative life is worse than a no life.

"Maybe a long life does have to be filled with many unpleasant conditions if it's to seem long. But in that case, who wants one?"

"I do."

"Why?"

"What else is there?"

Anyway, I agree that it is the right of every person to do with their own life as they wish, and that includes termination. However, I have no sympathy for people who decide to force others to participate in the process (jumping in front of a train or car, for example). Otherwise, it is very possible to commit suicide responsibly. People who care about you will be upset, naturally, but it's your life to take, not theirs.

Personally, I would gather as many explosives as I could (somehow...) and travel to a remote location. Ideally, I would be able to instantly separate each atom of my body, so I would cease to exist painlessly and leave behind no discernible remains (an idea that bothers me). Since that isn't feasible, I'd have to settle for strapping some plastic explosives to myself, and detonating myself on top of a mountain.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:40:34 AM by Particle Person »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 06:43:30 AM »
I'm having doubts about my first post. I feel like I've been trolled. Why is this in complete nonsense?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 07:09:51 AM »
Why is this in complete nonsense?
I didn't quite know where to put this. I went for CN because we expect people not to post here unless they accept that they may end up being offended. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
Maybe you jump into a volcano, so nobody would have to mess with your remains. Don't do it. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
God is real.

Thork

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »

This week a woman and dragged her child onto the railway tracks at Slough station. I work in Slough and use those trains at that time. Both were killed instantly. However she decided to do this during rush hour. The people on that train were made to stay on it by police for over 6 hours. All other trains into slough from that direction were cancelled. Thousands and thousands of people who pass that way on their way to London couldn't get to work. The driver has been given several months off because seeing child all over the front of his train has made him quite ill. The child didn't get much say in the matter, either.

So yes, you would expect some level of personal responsibility ... but I'm guessing that by the time you feel like you want to actually kill yourself for real, you don't give much of a fuck about anything.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 03:23:49 PM »
Let's be clear: there is a very distinct difference between a mental illness causing depression and having a bad life event that causes it.

With that said, I'm fine with doctor assisted suicide.  Sometimes the brain just turns on the "Be sad" nob to 11 and doesn't turn it off. And that just sucks beyond understanding.

Also if you're gonna die a slow, horrible death, totally fine.

As for how to do it responsibly, have a doctor help.  I'm a fan of carbon monoxide poisoning myself but there are so many ways to die, it's not hard to find something you'll like.
Make sure you have a will.
And be open about your desires to die. 

I think that if euthenasia was legal then people like that woman in Thork's story wouldn't have died like that.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 05:18:17 PM »
Anyway, I agree that it is the right of every person to do with their own life as they wish, and that includes termination. However, I have no sympathy for people who decide to force others to participate in the process (jumping in front of a train or car, for example). Otherwise, it is very possible to commit suicide responsibly. People who care about you will be upset, naturally, but it's your life to take, not theirs.
This.

And if you are responsible for children or elderly parents you definitely need to make sure you've got them covered financially.

And do it in a way so that children or a loved one won't find your body. Maybe call the police before doing it? I used to know a guy who was the first one to find the body of his father as a child. The dad killed himself by shotgun on the kid's birthday. This kid later committed suicide himself.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »
It's a bit of a catch-22 for me. Rational people should be allowed to end their own lives, but the desire to end your life suggests that you are not a rational person.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 06:06:24 PM »
It's a bit of a catch-22 for me. Rational people should be allowed to end their own lives, but the desire to end your life suggests that you are not a rational person.

Speaking of which, that quote I posted is taken from one of my favorite conversations in Catch-22.

A couple of people have said now that suicide is irrational. I would like to see some elaboration. What about cases involving painful terminal illness? What about people who simply don't want to live, and haven't for a long time? Wouldn't it be more rational to die rather than prolong your own suffering?

Ghost of V

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 06:35:02 PM »
It's irrational because all animals have a built in desire to survive. Suicidal tendencies are the result of chemical imbalances, and can be treated with medication or simply changing your lifestyle.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »

Speaking of which, that quote I posted is taken from one of my favorite conversations in Catch-22.

A couple of people have said now that suicide is irrational. I would like to see some elaboration. What about cases involving painful terminal illness? What about people who simply don't want to live, and haven't for a long time? Wouldn't it be more rational to die rather than prolong your own suffering?

I don't know. I do know that suicidal thought are generally a symptom of something else, and that the something else usually also has the result of making people non-rational. People with depression, for example, are not rational and cannot responsibly commit suicide (I say this mainly due to experience). I think there are valid reasons to kill yourself, and I'm totally in favor of euthanasia in hospice care and stuff like that, but outside of those cases I think there's an argument to be made that if you want to commit suicide you are probably not a rational person and therefore cannot consent to your own death.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 06:59:41 PM »
It's irrational because all animals have a built in desire to survive.

Contradicting your instincts is not necessarily irrational. The word "rational" simply refers to that which is reasonable to the sensible mind. People do all sorts of irrational things to satisfy their instinctual desires all the time.

Suicidal tendencies are the result of chemical imbalances, and can be treated with medication or simply changing your lifestyle.

Suicidal thoughts are not always the result of chemical imbalances. When they are, medication and lifestyle changes don't always help. In fact, since neuro-pharmacology is still a very primitive science, medication sometimes magnifies the problem.

I don't know. I do know that suicidal thought are generally a symptom of something else, and that the something else usually also has the result of making people non-rational. People with depression, for example, are not rational and cannot responsibly commit suicide (I say this mainly due to experience). I think there are valid reasons to kill yourself, and I'm totally in favor of euthanasia in hospice care and stuff like that, but outside of those cases I think there's an argument to be made that if you want to commit suicide you are probably not a rational person and therefore cannot consent to your own death.

Nobody should ever decide for somebody else whether or not they are sufficiently lucid to consent to their own death. Nobody knows their own psychology better than themselves.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 08:07:54 PM »
It's irrational because all animals have a built in desire to survive. Suicidal tendencies are the result of chemical imbalances, and can be treated with medication or simply changing your lifestyle.

Homosexuality is irrational.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »
Certainly. It servers no biological function, and is therefore unnatural.
The Mastery.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »
Define "unnatural."
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »
unnatural: something that doesn't serve a bioligical function. Example: homosexuality.
The Mastery.