Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Are the American police out of control?
« Reply #480 on: August 29, 2020, 08:15:33 PM »
All of the video evidence makes it pretty difficult to paint this kid as the instigator or as doing anything other than defending himself. He was also seen giving first aid to people earlier in the evening.

None of this is a show of support for demonstrably wrong behavior on the part of police and you trying to rationalize it in that way is a sure sign that you aren’t thinking clearly about this. It’s tragic there is injustice but that doesn’t mean you should demonize a 17 year old, especially when it seems likely his biggest offense was the misdemeanor of possessing a firearm illegally.
The police literally cheered that he was there.  Doing their job.  That's a pretty fucked up thing.

Also: Guns are threatening.  Just standing there, with an AR-15 visible, is intimidating as hell.  Especially from someone who isn't wearing any kind of uniform.  I'm sure he had good intentions but he was dumb as fuck. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #481 on: August 29, 2020, 08:26:05 PM »
The police literally cheered that he was there.  Doing their job.  That's a pretty fucked up thing.

Also: Guns are threatening.  Just standing there, with an AR-15 visible, is intimidating as hell.  Especially from someone who isn't wearing any kind of uniform.  I'm sure he had good intentions but he was dumb as fuck.

No one is saying he wasn't but you must appreciate how big a distance lies between being "dumb as fuck" and "being a monster who deserves to be shot" is?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 30, 2020, 04:43:42 AM »

No one is saying he wasn't but you must appreciate how big a distance lies between being "dumb as fuck" and "being a monster who deserves to be shot" is?

Its not as big a gap as you'd think. 

Even so, I never called him a monster, just stating how I'd have shot him.  If I had a gun.  Which I never will because I'd end up shooting someome.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #483 on: August 30, 2020, 12:30:44 PM »
Dave it’s a giant gap. I meet dumbasses everyday and can honestly never wanted to shoot any of them.

No you didn’t call him a monster, Tumeni did but you are dehumanizing him to the same degree by treating his life like toilet paper because you are mad at police.

« Reply #484 on: August 31, 2020, 05:23:31 PM »
New video from the same lawyer, mostly not about Kyle specifically, just the Kenosha riots, but at about 3:30 it shows (I think) Kyle Rittenhouse putting out a fire in a dumpster:

Shortly after it seems Rosenbaum gets in Kyle's face (this is a new angle from the earlier released footage of Rosenbaum yelling at Kyle and others).  Seems that Rosenbaum was super duper pissed that Kyle dared put out a fire in a dumpster.

Obviously even more footage could be forthcoming changing our perceptions of Kyle, Rosenbaum and others in this whole event.  But this second video makes me feel like Kyle's the type of person I'd want to be my neighbor.  He went to a dangerous place to help protect people and private property (look at the insanity of smashing cars and burning a business down). He brought a medikit.  And (apparently) when he actually tried to put out a dumpster fire Rosenbaum got all up in his face.

I wonder how much time lapsed between this altercation at the gas station with all the crowds and when Rosenbaum is chasing Kyle, throwing something and cornering him (per the first video I shared).  A few minutes?  An hour?  Did Rosenbaum follow and harass Kyle for a while, until he eventually was actually chasing Kyle, alone?   

One can argue Kyle was foolish to bother going to Kenosha where it's dangerous.  But one can also argue it was brave and heroic - people and businesses were being attacked, and the police were apparently not doing anything.

It's often argued that the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to individuals, but rather "militia" as a group.  Well, if there's ever a need for militia in certain places, it seems in Kenosha recently there was.  Of course, I don't expect all of those in the US who believe the 2nd amendment to apply only to "militias" to be consistent on this, because I do believe those who oppose the 2nd amendment in that way actually oppose it completely.

I'm strongly in favor of 2A, given that my home in Garland TX was burglarized twice - both during the day time when no one was home, as it happens.  I don't live in TX anymore, but I have weapons to defend myself just in case. Though admittedly, I'd probably be too cowardly to go to Kenosha, if I lived within 30 min, to go defend others.  Fortunately, there have been no riots within several hundred miles of the city I currently live in.   :P

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 31, 2020, 06:27:31 PM »

I cite the two officers who pursued a suspect through a residential neighbourhood, one firing a rifle from the passenger seat at the moving vehicle in front, and with the driver driving one-handed, discharging his pistol THROUGH HIS OWN WINDSCREEN

I saw that video, those 2 should be in prison.  How many of those wild ass shots hit homes or other cars?
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

« Reply #486 on: August 31, 2020, 06:29:33 PM »

I cite the two officers who pursued a suspect through a residential neighbourhood, one firing a rifle from the passenger seat at the moving vehicle in front, and with the driver driving one-handed, discharging his pistol THROUGH HIS OWN WINDSCREEN

I saw that video, those 2 should be in prison.  How many of those wild ass shots hit homes or other cars?

Crazy!!  Link please?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 31, 2020, 06:40:17 PM »

Crazy!!  Link please?

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-anaheim-police-dramatic-video-investigation-shooting-driving-20190508-story.html
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #488 on: August 31, 2020, 06:49:06 PM »

Crazy!!  Link please?

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-anaheim-police-dramatic-video-investigation-shooting-driving-20190508-story.html

Yeah, that's very crazy - the officers shooting during a high speed chase is highly problematic.  One of the two was fired, I guess not the other one...

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 31, 2020, 07:10:35 PM »
Dave it’s a giant gap. I meet dumbasses everyday and can honestly never wanted to shoot any of them.

No you didn’t call him a monster, Tumeni did but you are dehumanizing him to the same degree by treating his life like toilet paper because you are mad at police.
No its not.

Here's a perfectly fine leap.

"Yeah.  I'm here with my rifle and my med kit.  You know, trying to protect folks.  Help the law enforcement.  Make sure those liberal bastards get what's comming to em if they step outta line."

Now, that didn't happen but its certainly not outside the realm of possibilities.   A dumbass is someone who goes to a dangerous, volitile situation with a lot of people without any training on how to handle it but carrying a gun for protection.  That there is a dumbass.  Now sprinkle in some "I hate X and thats why I'm out here." and ya got someone worse than a dumbass.  Again, not a big gap.

And I am not dehumanizing him.  If anything, he's VERY human.  A prime candidate for how teenage humans behave.

However, the more I learn about it, the more I see that he was likely provoked and shot in self defense.  Whether it was because he tried to put out a dumpster fire that Joseph started or because he looked like a crazy gun nut who was gonna kill everyone so he needed to be disarmed, I dunno.  But it happened and he killed someone and he ran because he had 0 authority on his side.  He ran from the angry mob who saw him kill someone.  And that angry group chasing him was 100% justified in chasing him.  Because if ya shoot someone and you aren't wearing a uniform, odds are you're a murderer so best to stop you from killing again.

(Yes, Kyle may not be a murderer.  But thats besides the point.  Bad guys with guns, man.)

« Reply #490 on: August 31, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »

...But it happened and he killed someone and he ran because he had 0 authority on his side.  He ran from the angry mob who saw him kill someone.  And that angry group chasing him was 100% justified in chasing him.  Because if ya shoot someone and you aren't wearing a uniform, odds are you're a murderer so best to stop you from killing again.

(Yes, Kyle may not be a murderer.  But thats besides the point.  Bad guys with guns, man.)

Yeah, based on the currently available facts this seems incredibly wrong to me.

The mob was not at all "100%" justified in chasing him.

First, let's start with the assumption that the lawyer in the video is correct and we're all in agreement with this quote (at about 7:01 in the video) -

"I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that if someone is chasing you and throwing objects at you, and then when you're cornered by them tries to take your gun away from you, at best you're at great risk of bodily injury and at worst, risk of death." And then he goes on to explain that the dynamics of self-defense and who the "aggressor" is in a situation can change moment to moment. Rosenbaum was clearly the aggressor at the moment that he was shot by Kyle.

Just before this quote in the video, the lawyer goes over the court documents that explain that this is exactly what happened. In that moment, doesn't matter why Kyle went to Kenosha. Doesn't matter what transpired before Rosenbaum chased him. In that moment, it was self-defense against what Kyle could rationally perceive as great bodily harm or death against him.

Okay, so, starting with THAT, let's posit three possibilities regarding the person in the mob who shouted "get that MFer" and the others who began chasing Kyle and subsequently attacked him, including one with a handgun:

1. They did NOT see enough of the full altercation between Kyle and Rosenbaum to know whether it appeared to be self-defense to a reasonable onlooker. How can you possibly justify chasing him if you don't know whether the gun shot was self-defense or not?

2. They DID see the full altercation, but were not reasonable enough to see that it looked like self-defense (because of tensions, adrenaline, preconceived notions, or they were just plain irrational, doesn't matter).

3. They DID see the full altercation, recognized it looked like self-defense, but they themselves were violent and murderous criminals who wanted to attack Kyle anyway.

Which of these three possibilities justified them in violently attacking him? 

Is it #1?  Are you suggesting that any time someone is shot we should ALWAYS assume it's NOT self-defense?  Numbers from the CDC itself (Centers for Disease Control), in a study commissioned by President Obama in 2013, it states "almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses [of self-defense with a gun] ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year."  [emphasis added].
Source: https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/cdc-study-use-firearms-self-defense-important-crime-deterrent

The crowd is not at all justified if they merely ASSUME Kyle is the aggressor because he's the one who shot the gun. Possibility #1 can be discarded as providing justification.

And #2 and #3 self-evidently don't provide justification.

I would say, however, that if it's #2, I would ALSO think they should not be found guilty of very much.  A lot of things can happen in the heat of the moment.  For example, if these guys who attacked Kyle in the street were to kill Kyle, I can see them getting avoiding a strict homicide charge because of their frame of mind and other mitigating elements.

EDIT:
If it's #1 or #3, I believe they should be punished to the fullest extent of battery and possibly attempted murder - though some were already killed, so...

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:09:22 PM by existoid »

Rama Set

« Reply #491 on: August 31, 2020, 08:04:04 PM »
Dave you said you would have shot him without even having all the evidence, which now that you have considered the evidence you realize that you may have been wrong. It’s terrible that you jumped to that conclusion and treated him as a person who deserved summary judgement.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 31, 2020, 09:07:18 PM »

...But it happened and he killed someone and he ran because he had 0 authority on his side.  He ran from the angry mob who saw him kill someone.  And that angry group chasing him was 100% justified in chasing him.  Because if ya shoot someone and you aren't wearing a uniform, odds are you're a murderer so best to stop you from killing again.

Yeah, based on the currently available facts this seems incredibly wrong to me.

The mob was not at all "100%" justified in chasing him.

First, let's start with the assumption that the lawyer in the video is correct and we're all in agreement with this quote (at about 7:01 in the video) -

"I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that if someone is chasing you and throwing objects at you, and then when you're cornered by them tries to take your gun away from you, at best you're at great risk of bodily injury and at worst, risk of death." And then he goes on to explain that the dynamics of self-defense and who the "aggressor" is in a situation can change moment to moment. Rosenbaum was clearly the aggressor at the moment that he was shot by Kyle.

Just before this quote in the video, the lawyer goes over the court documents that explain that this is exactly what happened. In that moment, doesn't matter why Kyle went to Kenosha. Doesn't matter what transpired before Rosenbaum chased him. In that moment, it was self-defense against what Kyle could rationally perceive as great bodily harm or death against him.

Okay, so, starting with THAT, let's posit three possibilities regarding the person in the mob who shouted "get that MFer" and the others who began chasing Kyle and subsequently attacked him, including one with a handgun:

1. They did NOT see enough of the full altercation between Kyle and Rosenbaum to know whether it appeared to be self-defense to a reasonable onlooker. How can you possibly justify chasing him if you don't know whether the gun shot was self-defense or not?

2. They DID see the full altercation, but were not reasonable enough to see that it looked like self-defense (because of tensions, adrenaline, preconceived notions, or they were just plain irrational, doesn't matter).

3. They DID see the full altercation, recognized it looked like self-defense, but they themselves were violent and murderous criminals who wanted to attack Kyle anyway.

Which of these three possibilities justified them in violently attacking him? 

Is it #1?  Are you suggesting that any time someone is shot we should ALWAYS assume it's NOT self-defense?  Numbers from the CDC itself (Centers for Disease Control), in a study commissioned by President Obama in 2013, it states "almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses [of self-defense with a gun] ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year."  [emphasis added].
Source: https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/cdc-study-use-firearms-self-defense-important-crime-deterrent

The crowd is not at all justified if they merely ASSUME Kyle is the aggressor because he's the one who shot the gun. Possibility #1 can be discarded as providing justification.

And #2 and #3 self-evidently don't provide justification.

I would say, however, that if it's #2, I would ALSO think they should not be found guilty of very much.  A lot of things can happen in the heat of the moment.  For example, if these guys who attacked Kyle in the street were to kill Kyle, I can see them getting avoiding a strict homicide charge because of their frame of mind and other mitigating elements.

EDIT:
If it's #1 or #3, I believe they should be punished to the fullest extent of battery and possibly attempted murder - though some were already killed, so...

Its #1.
Because most people who shoot someone who didn''t shoot first, are not good people.  And do you want to let a bad guy with a gun escape?  I think not. 

Dave you said you would have shot him without even having all the evidence, which now that you have considered the evidence you realize that you may have been wrong. It’s terrible that you jumped to that conclusion and treated him as a person who deserved summary judgement.
Having all the facts wouldn't change my fact-less actions.  Sorry but if I see someone unarmed get shot, I'm gonna assume the shooter is a bad guy.  Most people with guns do.  Hell, the police manual basically states that everyone is a potential, deadly threat.  So I'm not alone.

This is why I'm against gun ownership: because there are more people like me than not.

« Reply #493 on: August 31, 2020, 09:30:01 PM »

Its #1.
Because most people who shoot someone who didn''t shoot first, are not good people.  And do you want to let a bad guy with a gun escape?  I think not. 

Having all the facts wouldn't change my fact-less actions.  Sorry but if I see someone unarmed get shot, I'm gonna assume the shooter is a bad guy.  Most people with guns do.  Hell, the police manual basically states that everyone is a potential, deadly threat.  So I'm not alone.

This is why I'm against gun ownership: because there are more people like me than not.

That's really your perspective?

If a person shoots another person, and you know you do not have the facts because you don't see the event itself, you believe the "right" thing, and the "justifiable" thing is to immediately and violently attack the person holding the gun?   

That's a seriously messed up mindset.  Attack first, ask questions later, I guess.

EDIT:
Let me add, that it doesn't at all seem like they were being good citizens and "ensuring he didn't escape."  He was NOT running away, but talking on the phone, standing by Rosenbaum.  He didn't run away until someone yelled "get that MFer" and then several men chased and attacked him.

There are ALL sorts of appropriate responses they could have used, instead of to attack him. Since one of them had a handgun, they could have at the minimum, trained it on him and told Kyle to drop his rifle until the police showed up.  They didn't do that or anything similar to it. They attacked him violently.  Why do you keep defending these obviously violent criminals?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:32:46 PM by existoid »

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 31, 2020, 09:36:30 PM »

Its #1.

If a person shoots another person, and you know you do not have the facts because you don't see the event itself, you believe the "right" thing, and the "justifiable" thing is to immediately and violently attack the person holding the gun?   

That's a seriously messed up mindset.  Attack first, ask questions later, I guess.

EDIT:
Let me add, that it doesn't at all seem like they were being good citizens and "ensuring he didn't escape."  He was NOT running away, but talking on the phone, standing by Rosenbaum.  He didn't run away until someone yelled "get that MFer" and then several men chased and attacked him.

There are ALL sorts of appropriate responses they could have used, instead of to attack him. Since one of them had a handgun, they could have at the minimum, trained it on him and told Kyle to drop his rifle until the police showed up.  They didn't do that or anything similar to it. They attacked him violently.  Why do you keep defending these obviously violent criminals?

Sounds like its best that Dave is anti gun and doesn't get one
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

« Reply #495 on: August 31, 2020, 09:51:29 PM »

Its #1.

EDIT:

Sounds like its best that Dave is anti gun and doesn't get one

No kidding.  I've been lucky to own guns for years but never been directly involved in any violent altercations (just had my home burgled when we weren't home).

Not to get into anecdotes too much, but here are two regarding the usefulness of concealed weapons for lawful self-defense:

My uncle (now deceased from cirrhosis), used to play guitar in a band all throughout the Northwest. He kept a concealed handgun (and had a permit for all the states they played in). It has prevented him from muggings behind bars his band played at at 2 or 3am.  The muggers may not have been armed, but if any were foolish enough to have attacked him without a gun and he shot them, you would say because they "didn't shoot first" - because they can't shoot if they don't have a gun - he's the bad guy in those situations?  You don't need a gun to kill someone. What if they had a knife?

What if Rosenbaum had had a knife when he was inches from Kyle after chasing him in between those cars?Did the guys who yelled "get that MFer" even check to see if Rosenbaum had a knife, and that's why Kyle shot first?  (I understand that there's absolutely no evidence Rosenbaum had a knife, I'm just saying that YOUR point that the "person who shoots a gun first" is automatically in the wrong is a super duper bad mindset, because anything could be going on).

Second anecdote:
I have a lawyer friend who studied law at Georgetown U. He never carried a weapon, and he was mugged by several men, on the street where he lived, walking back from classes in open daylight.  If he had had a weapon, perhaps he would not have gotten his laptop and expensive school books taken.

Obviously my two anecdotes are just that - anecdotes - and they are NOT in the context of a riot, either.  But I think they add to this discussion because the mere fact that if ONE person in an altercation has a gun, that THAT person is automatically "the bad guy" or the "aggressor."  Not in any way true. There are many possibilities.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:54:36 PM by existoid »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 01, 2020, 09:45:52 AM »

Its #1.

EDIT:

1. That is literally what police do.  This is the whole reason BLM exists!  The only real difference is that if cops were there, he might have been shot.  If Rittenhouse was black, they'd have shot him 20 times.  Watch police go after armed suspects in a homicide.  They are

2. If you honestly think you can be that calm after seeing a comrad get killed (justified or not) then you should become a cop.  Seriously!  Train to be an officer in a big city because that kind of calmness is exactly what we need in police officers.

3. You seem to think humans are robots.  They saw a comrad die.  I'd have chased him too.  Get that Mother Fucker is a very normal response.  Had he not ran, they probably would have pinned him, taken his gun, and beat the shit out of him until he was near dead.  Or maybe dead.  Hard to say.  All perfectly normal emotional response.  And again, if you can be calm in that, be a god damn cop.

4. There are MILLIONS of people who think like me but don't have the wisdom of knowing they'd use their gun poorly.  Some of them are cops.  Keep that in mind.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 01, 2020, 11:11:08 AM »
after seeing a comrad get killed ... They saw a comrad die. 

1) It is spelt comrade.
2) How left wing do you need to be when you start using the word comrade when you mean colleague?

Check yourself, you vile communist.  >o<
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:12:45 AM by Toddler Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 02, 2020, 09:58:53 AM »
You kept repeating “The 17 year old”. Do you think that’s relevant to the acts of the people who chased him?

I think it's relevant to the cops who spoke with him on multiple occasions and never questioned the legality of his openly carrying a loaded rifle in an area of unrest. It's definitely a debatable point that he acted in self-defense given the footage on the tape, but if the police had done their jobs, rather than actively encouraging him, we wouldn't be talking about two people being dead and one wounded and whether or not it was self-defense. They are really the ones to blame for this. So whatever the case the incident undoubtedly rates as another example of the American police being out of control.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:09:53 AM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 02, 2020, 11:33:22 AM »
I think it's relevant to the cops who spoke with him on multiple occasions and never questioned the legality of his openly carrying a loaded rifle in an area of unrest.
Is it common/expected of American cops to ID people carrying weapons in the middle of a protest (or in any other scenario)? Not trying to call it right or wrong, just curious if it you'd expect it had it not been for hindsight.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume