Curvature or round edge?
« on: April 18, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
The argument I get the most when talking to people about the flat earth theory is: what about the curve? People usually jump on their phones and Google a couple of curve-containing images and suddenly they think that they have won.

(note that these images are not all from NASA and contains images from amateur meteorologists)

This really irritates me as the main argument that the flat earth society has for this is that the curvature does not exist and the images are altered in some way. This is really a weak argument and does not give me any grounds to stand on.

But...

The other day I was sitting in front of my laptop when I saw something curious.
On my desk was a ring bearing and it reminded me of the Azimuthal equidistant projection map.

(not the actual bearing but similar)

The bearing is obviously flat and round, like the map, but unlike what the flat earth theory says, it does show a curve at the edge (shown in red on the image) when looking at it from this angle.

My theory is that if you go way up in the air, you recreate the same angle and then some people misunderstanding the round edge as a curvature.
In my opinion, this is exactly why all those photos show a curvature.

I have tested this on different flat and round objects and all show the same thing. Obviously, there is a huge difference between a bearing and the world, but I think that the experiment scales very well and can be applied without any fault.

So to conclude, I think that we should stop denying the curvature and call people out on it for what is actually is.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: Curvature or round edge?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »
So you think the curve is the actual edge of the earth?
Why can't we ever seen Antarctica or the "ice wall" then?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
Re: Curvature or round edge?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 12:45:25 PM »
My theory is that if you go way up in the air, you recreate the same angle and then some people misunderstanding the round edge as a curvature.

If that were the case, then all one would need to is head toward it, and the degree of curve would change as you got nearer, and you would eventually reach the edge, surely? But nobody ever does. Any if anyone in a plane over (say) Atlantic or Pacific heads out to sea, the horizon, if they stay at constant height, never gets nearer.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?