geckothegeek

Warning comment
« on: October 07, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »
This is just a suggestion. I think the warnings could be eliminated if this forum could be operated in a more  user friendly manner. Just state that the forum is for a discussion of how things would be IF the earth was flat and posts from both sides of "round earth" and "flat earth" would be welcome on any section - not just the debate section. The warnings seem to be for posting facts ("round earth") on the Q&A section. There is really no debate as to the shape of the earth in the first place. You could say :"Ideas about how the earth would be IF it was flat and facts about how the earth really is are welcomed on any section of this forum. We all know that the earth is a globe and is not flat but it would be interesting if someone has some ideas about how things would have to be IF the earth was flat. So let's hear both sides. "

Just a suggestion. However it is your forum and you can run it your way.Just issue warnings for insults, profanity and other bad language.

In other words, why not just make this a "What if ? and Why not ?" forum website ?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:38:27 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Warning comment
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 07:35:34 PM »
This is just a suggestion. I think the warnings could be eliminated if this forum could be operated in a more  user friendly manner. Just state that the forum is for a discussion of how things would be IF the earth was flat and posts from both sides of "round earth" and "flat earth" would be welcome on any section - not just the debate section.
This is literally called "The Flat Earth Society." It is not the "What if the Earth was Flat Society?" The premise from the get-go is that the Earth is flat. Round Earth posts are absolutely welcome, in the appropriate sections. The forum was laid out pretty simply so all users can determine where to post.

The warnings seem to be for posting facts ("round earth") on the Q&A section.
False

There is really no debate as to the shape of the earth in the first place.
The FErs here agree with you.

You could say :"Ideas about how the earth would be IF it was flat and facts about how the earth really is are welcomed on any section of this forum.
This makes no sense. Again, the different forums are labeled. This is for logistical purposes that benefit all of our users.

We all know that the earth is a globe and is not flat but it would be interesting if someone has some ideas about how things would have to be IF the earth was flat. So let's hear both sides."
False and irrelevant.

Just a suggestion. However it is your forum and you can run it your way.
We do just that, and it works pretty well.

Just issue warnings for insults, profanity and other bad language.
Warnings are issued for those items when they occur in an inappropriate forum. So do posts that break other forum rules. I'd suggest having a peek at number 5, specifically.

In other words, why not just make this a "What if ? and Why not ?" forum website ?
This also makes no sense. See above for further explanation.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:49:07 PM by junker »

geckothegeek

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:12:18 PM »
Very well. I think most people know that the earth is not some flat disc anyway.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 06:45:17 AM »
Why would you post round earth "facts" in the question and answer section?

That's like calling tech support just to tell them Linux is better. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

geckothegeek

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:42:50 PM »

'

Here is just an example.:

If some one should ask the question : "Where would the horizon be if the earth was flat ?" The answer could be "If the earth was flat the horizon would have to be at an infinite distance and just a blur in the distance. On the round earth, the horizon is a distinct line where earth (or sea) meets the sky and the distance to the horizon can be easily determined, depending on the height of the observer."

In other words, the Q&A Section would be open to questions with both "flat earth" and "round earth" answers permitted. It is really a moot point as to which answers would be backed up with actual facts backed up with actual evidence.

The bottom line is simply we know how things really work because the earth is really "round" or the "globe" as we know, but how would things have to work if the earth was "flat ?"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:50:50 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 06:09:56 PM »

'

Here is just an example.:

If some one should ask the question : "Where would the horizon be if the earth was flat ?" The answer could be "If the earth was flat the horizon would have to be at an infinite distance and just a blur in the distance. On the round earth, the horizon is a distinct line where earth (or sea) meets the sky and the distance to the horizon can be easily determined, depending on the height of the observer."

In other words, the Q&A Section would be open to questions with both "flat earth" and "round earth" answers permitted. It is really a moot point as to which answers would be backed up with actual facts backed up with actual evidence.

The bottom line is simply we know how things really work because the earth is really "round" or the "globe" as we know, but how would things have to work if the earth was "flat ?"

I see we are going in circles here, so this is the last time I will repeat myself. It isn't a 'what if' site. Ask questions about FE in the Q&A section. It isn't meant for debate, that is why there is a forum dedicated for that. I understand you are having a terrible time comprehending this, but I'll warn you one final time to post in the correct forum.

Locked.