Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Putin pulling the strings of Republicans
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2022, 03:45:37 PM »
And the people who aren't Nazis?  I assume that killing them is "For the greater good"?
Hey, weren't you just championing the practice of capitalism?

"muh people..."
Capitalism ttyyyyypically doesn't involve airstrikes.
Wow...You really, I mean really, have no idea about much of anything regarding economics, foreign affairs, politics, etc., do you?

I mean... I live in a capitalist economy and I've never had to use, or have used on me, an airstrike.
So please, do explain how capitalism involves airstrikes.
Oh wait, does this mean capitalism only existed since like WW1?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2022, 04:29:18 PM »
I mean... I live in a capitalist economy I do not know what capitalism is, truly I do not.

FTFY
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2022, 04:41:33 PM »
I value nothing of this world, especially some AI bot's worthless opinion.

And this world feels the same way about you.
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2022, 06:19:16 PM »
Anyone know what the reasoning is for the nays? I can’t seem to find anything of real relevance.

MTG is quoted as saying, essentially, "the Ukrainians can't win, so they should just give up" ....

Heartless beeyatch, make no mistake.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2022, 06:27:19 PM »
There's an article politico that I can't easily find where they asked these reps why they voted against it.

Most of them said that it gives Biden unchecked power to sanction anyone. I don't know if that's true or not.

Another reason they gave was that this Ukraine thing is distracting from problems here.

The best one I heard as one rep was concerned that Biden would use these powers to force transgendered rights on various parts of the world.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2022, 06:55:13 PM »
There's an article politico that I can't easily find where they asked these reps why they voted against it.

Rep. Andy Biggs (Ariz.): "What this bill did… it actually allows our president to go to almost anybody in the world and if they have a visa, he can take away their visa. He can freeze their assets regardless of whether they have anything to do with Russia whatsoever. He gets to define what a human rights abuse is and he gets to go after anybody he thinks might be committing some sort of human rights abuse."

Rep. Lauren Boebert (Colo.): "Congress keeps focusing on distractions abroad and not our own challenges brought on by Joe Biden at home. H.R. 1708 had bad language that could lead to sanctioning ‘human rights abusers’ who simply hold traditional views of life and family and restrict access to abortion. The bill also does nothing to spur domestic energy production.”

Rep. Chip Roy (Texas): "I generally support the underlying purpose of this bill, and likely would have voted for it had that been the sole focus. ... But I have deep concerns about the provisions of this bill that would permanently empower the President with the unilateral authority to issue sanctions against anyone who he deems responsible for an undefined 'serious human rights abuse.'" Full statement.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) in a floor speech: "We need to focus on our country first. We’re seeing rapidly rising inflation. It’s completely out of control … All we’re hearing on the news is Ukraine, but yet here in America what real Americans care about is gas prices they can’t afford, inflation that goes up and up to where grocery bills are unaffordable, and they’re very concerned about our out-of-control open border. Crime is out of control, but yet Washington is completely disconnected.”

Rep. Thomas Massie (Ky.) in a tweet: "It gives the President broad authority to sanction virtually anyone, anywhere in the world, whether they are connected to Russia or not. Interventionists at the State Department are doing the happy dance now."

Rep. Matt Gaetz (Fla.) backed Biggs' rationale in a tweet: "I voted with Biggs for these reasons and others!"

Rep. Glenn Grothman (Wis.) in a floor speech Friday: "The president will have a new tool in his toolbox if he wants to force other countries to adapt the views of abortion and the views of LGBTQ that are the views, quite frankly, of the left wing of the Democratic Party. The President will be able to threaten the parliaments, or for all I know, lobbyists, demonstrators in foreign countries, by saying you can't get a visa to the United States because we don't like your stance on abortion, we don't like your stance on LGBTQ."

etc
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2022, 07:43:11 PM »

Rep. Andy Biggs (Ariz.): "What this bill did… it actually allows our president to go to almost anybody in the world and if they have a visa, he can take away their visa. He can freeze their assets regardless of whether they have anything to do with Russia whatsoever. He gets to define what a human rights abuse is and he gets to go after anybody he thinks might be committing some sort of human rights abuse."

Rep. Lauren Boebert (Colo.): "Congress keeps focusing on distractions abroad and not our own challenges brought on by Joe Biden at home. H.R. 1708 had bad language that could lead to sanctioning ‘human rights abusers’ who simply hold traditional views of life and family and restrict access to abortion. The bill also does nothing to spur domestic energy production.”

Rep. Chip Roy (Texas): "I generally support the underlying purpose of this bill, and likely would have voted for it had that been the sole focus. ... But I have deep concerns about the provisions of this bill that would permanently empower the President with the unilateral authority to issue sanctions against anyone who he deems responsible for an undefined 'serious human rights abuse.'" Full statement.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) in a floor speech: "We need to focus on our country first. We’re seeing rapidly rising inflation. It’s completely out of control … All we’re hearing on the news is Ukraine, but yet here in America what real Americans care about is gas prices they can’t afford, inflation that goes up and up to where grocery bills are unaffordable, and they’re very concerned about our out-of-control open border. Crime is out of control, but yet Washington is completely disconnected.”

Rep. Thomas Massie (Ky.) in a tweet: "It gives the President broad authority to sanction virtually anyone, anywhere in the world, whether they are connected to Russia or not. Interventionists at the State Department are doing the happy dance now."

Rep. Matt Gaetz (Fla.) backed Biggs' rationale in a tweet: "I voted with Biggs for these reasons and others!"

Rep. Glenn Grothman (Wis.) in a floor speech Friday: "The president will have a new tool in his toolbox if he wants to force other countries to adapt the views of abortion and the views of LGBTQ that are the views, quite frankly, of the left wing of the Democratic Party. The President will be able to threaten the parliaments, or for all I know, lobbyists, demonstrators in foreign countries, by saying you can't get a visa to the United States because we don't like your stance on abortion, we don't like your stance on LGBTQ."

etc

I've heard worse arguments.
But its all essentially "We're fraid Biden will make other countries like he wants" as tho Republicans wouldn't do the same.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2022, 02:02:51 PM »
Yeah it’s concern trolling, nothing more. The GOP loves to wield power over people just as much the Dems and if the roles were reversed (and Trump wasn’t president) they would have done the same.