Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: America's healthcare isn't broken....
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2021, 07:31:58 PM »
Somehow, I figured out how to buy & sell stocks when I was just 21 years old and didn’t have much money.  These days it’s a whole lot easier.  There are many online stockbrokers and once you have an account you can buy & sell using your computer.  I’ve been doing it for many decades.  You need to restrict your stock purchases to those ‘greedy’ companies who, in your opinion, are really screwing their customers and are racking in the money.  What could go wrong with that strategy?

Oh people can do it.  But again, ya need money.  And is it worth it?  Like I could maybe buy 2 shares if Anthem.  How long would it take before I had a profit?  Or got dividends I could use to supplement my income?
For me, stocks would be an unstable savings account: maybe it goes up and maybe I lose a few hundred thousand dollars.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2021, 08:02:53 PM »

Well, I suppose when you're a kid you wouldn't pay anything.
I clearly wrote "Everyone." I included no age restrictions.

I find it funny how you praise paying nothing for healthcare.  Healthcare isn't free.  Someone paid for it.  And guess who that was?  Employers.
Correct. It was part of competing for good employees, who accepted a good benefits package as part of being appropriately recompensed for their work.

You, being clueless about the value of of work, try to label it as some form of communism..
You were enjoying someone else's profit like a communist.  Fortunately companies wised up and began buying cheaper insurance that included co-pays and deductables while also taking health care out of your salary.

I mean, you still had a lifetime limit, of course.  God forbid you cost the insurance company money. Lol.
All incorrect, as pointed out.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 08:49:09 PM by Action80 »
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2021, 08:18:43 PM »
Yeah, I would say the US has a distinct problem in this realm:

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2021, 08:53:38 PM »

Behold, the American DreamTM!
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2021, 09:56:50 AM »

The weak shall perish.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2021, 10:22:46 AM »

The weak shall perish.

Survival of the richest

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2021, 06:50:04 PM »
Part of the problem is fat people being fat. You can increase your life expectancy by 10 years if you stop double fisting Big Macs.

Offline scomato

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2021, 07:11:07 PM »
Part of the problem is fat people being fat. You can increase your life expectancy by 10 years if you stop double fisting Big Macs.

I support universal and free access to bariatric surgery for all Americans. The cost savings on healthcare for people who would otherwise suffer a heart attack, diabetes, ruined bones and joints, and mental health just to name a few, would run in the billions.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2021, 07:13:47 PM »
This country's entire culture is consumption. Between the creation of absolute garbage food to pack as many calories into cheap ingredients as possible and the never ending advertisements for said garbage foods; we were encouraged to be fat. Not to mention, denied the healthcare and education to make better choices.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2021, 07:14:21 PM »

Yep, people say that coronavirus has some big Pharma type conspiracy agenda behind it. But 70% of our health care expenditures are dealing with issues of lifestyle that we brought upon ourselves. They don't need coronavirus to attack us, they have TV and junk food.
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2021, 08:04:29 PM »

Yep, people say that coronavirus has some big Pharma type conspiracy agenda behind it. But 70% of our health care expenditures are dealing with issues of lifestyle that we brought upon ourselves. They don't need coronavirus to attack us, they have TV and junk food.

Nah.
70% is intentional inflation to ensure that insurance companies pay what the hospitals need them to pay.