Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Sexual Scandals
« on: November 23, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Sexual Scandals
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »

In more seriousness, though, as long as it's all consensual have as much of a weird sex life as you want. It's all the recent celebrity outings that really suck. If we find out Tom Hanks is a serial rapist I will be shattered
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

devils advocate

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 09:46:03 PM »
In today's Western world context I have a totally perverse and weird sexual deviance; I'm a male who only has consensual relations with my wife!

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 09:54:16 PM »
In today's Western world context I have a totally perverse and weird sexual deviance; I'm a male who only has consensual relations with my wife!
So you have non-conscentual relations with everyone else?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

devils advocate

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »
So you have non-conscentual relations with everyone else?

Well only she would consent.......

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 03:34:58 AM »

You crusading conservative you! What a maaaaverick!
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 06:21:14 AM »
So, the GOP has put their support back for Roy Moor.

This tells me something pretty obvious:
Its not about what you did, who you are, or how many bible verses you speak.  Its about what party you belomg to.

Our politics is purely party lines.  Don't let the other side win.  Make a deal with the devil to keep them from winning.  And Alabama will prove it, I think.  Family values, Christian values, morality, decency, legality... all of it means nothing if you don't win.  So win first.  Justify later.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »

I don't know.  Maybe we should have just let them go their on way in the Civil War.  How do you argue with people like that?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 12:09:56 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2017/12/08/569475351/roy-moore-accuser-admits-adding-notation-to-yearbook-inscription

Wow...

Girl adds note to the bottom so she knows who that guy is and when he signed it and suddenly she's a liar.

Really?
I mean, I can tell that the date under it is not his penmanship.  Why does that suddenly make everything else fake?

My god, you'd think this was Obama's birth certificate all over again with how everyone and their mother is saying everything is now fake.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »
If you're a Moore supporter its something.  That's all they need to keep denying it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »
If you're a Moore supporter its something.  That's all they need to keep denying it.

It underscores the problem with a 2 party system.
No matter how bad your candidate is as a human being, you can't afford to have "The enemy" in office so you go with your party.

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 07:02:02 PM »

No matter how bad your candidate is as a human being, you can't afford to have "The enemy" in office so you go with your party.

That isn’t a 2 party system problem. That is a general problem humans have with making people in to their enemies.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 05:18:55 AM »

That isn’t a 2 party system problem. That is a general problem humans have with making people in to their enemies.
Yes but the more parties you have, the harder it is to have that many enemies.  Especially when they start overlapping.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »
All parties aside, I find the Moore issue fascinating because the Fundamentalist Evangelicals have been beaten at their own game. In essence, the Left has figured out their Fundamental weakness and is able to use it to their advantage.

When people base their morality on the idea that God gets angry every time they "disobey" their pastors and political leadership, it's an easy trick to convince them that God will be mad if they vote a certain way. For decades, this is how the GOP held their position in the Bible belt. Then, on Sunday before the election, many influential pastors and even some political leaders in the GOP told voters that God wouldn't be able to forgive them if they voted for somebody who turned out to be a criminal (which is a complete joke, considering how many criminals we have elected in the past). And tens of thousands of people bought that lie. We know they bought that lie, because they no-showed at the polls and they wrote-in other names "to keep a clear conscience".

Of course, this weakness would not be so exploitable were it not for Fundamentalism also encouraging the doctrine of "don't think, don't ask questions, just obey". I'm assuming a lot of people still voted for Moore because they did their research and were pretty sure his accusers were lying (which, if you've ever been involved with this kind of scandal before, is usually the case). However, not enough of them voted to trigger the recount, so it's still a lost fight.

I'm sure a lot of people are pointing fingers here and there trying to lay the blame on political reasons, but what I see is a fatal flaw in Evangelical morality that was exploited by the opponent.
The religion that supposedly encourages the "personal relationship with Jesus" does much better to encourage people to just show up on Sunday and never question the authority of their leadership or the validity of their information sources. Personally, I don't think God wants His followers to be that stupid. Maybe this is His way of calling for people to wake up and ditch the false doctrines.

Rama Set

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »
Can you provide some evidence that it is the case that accusers in sexual scandals are usually lying? It seems like a big claim that should be corroborated.

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 10:56:14 PM »
In my personal experience, I have seen several male teachers removed from their careers using this tactic. There is never a conviction--the woman merely makes the accusation, and the damage is done. The teacher's union kicks the teacher out without due process and that is the end of it. As for my involvement, I have filed written statements in at least two of these cases, and in one, my friends and I resorted to creating an underground newspaper to expose the teacher's union for what it was doing.

I've also seen this done with church pastors. It's actually a common occurrence. The tactic is to exploit church insurance policies, which are actually quite expensive because of the prevalence of these accusations. Again, no actual legal due process happens; the accusation is made, the insurance company reacts and removes the pastor, and the woman vanishes back into the woodwork. I've never had it happen to me, but I get around in the liturgical circles and have seen this happen several times to other men in my community.

I suppose you'd like names and dates, but in light of the current political climate, don't you think it more poetic if I just made the accusation and left it for people to either believe or ignore based on whether they want their side to win the argument?

Rama Set

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 11:32:32 PM »
So you don’t know if they are lying then. I gotcha. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want anyone to be condemned as a rapist without some sort of evidence, similarly, I don’t want an accuser labeled as a liar without evidence of lying. Both are wrong.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 03:25:38 AM »
Neither of those scenarios are comparable to what happened to Moore. He has nine accusers, not one, and they've offered plenty of corroborating evidence both physically and via witnesses. To believe Moore is innocent means accepting that there must have been some gigantic, unfeasible conspiracy pitted against him, which I don't believe most reasonable people would do. Far from actually researching the case, I'm sure that most of his voters simply turned a blind eye.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 05:04:39 AM »
In my personal experience, I have seen several male teachers removed from their careers using this tactic. There is never a conviction--the woman merely makes the accusation, and the damage is done. The teacher's union kicks the teacher out without due process and that is the end of it. As for my involvement, I have filed written statements in at least two of these cases, and in one, my friends and I resorted to creating an underground newspaper to expose the teacher's union for what it was doing.

I've also seen this done with church pastors. It's actually a common occurrence. The tactic is to exploit church insurance policies, which are actually quite expensive because of the prevalence of these accusations. Again, no actual legal due process happens; the accusation is made, the insurance company reacts and removes the pastor, and the woman vanishes back into the woodwork. I've never had it happen to me, but I get around in the liturgical circles and have seen this happen several times to other men in my community.

I suppose you'd like names and dates, but in light of the current political climate, don't you think it more poetic if I just made the accusation and left it for people to either believe or ignore based on whether they want their side to win the argument?
Then you work at a shitty school.
In MY personal experience,this has never happened.  Hell, I had a student use the old "Do guys think about sex every 10 seconds" bit on me.  It failed cause I'm not an idiot.

Also, are you seriously comparing a bunch of teenagers to grown, mature women and using that to paint every god damn accuser?  Really?

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 03:20:49 AM »

Then you work at a shitty school.
In MY personal experience,this has never happened.  Hell, I had a student use the old "Do guys think about sex every 10 seconds" bit on me.  It failed cause I'm not an idiot.

Also, are you seriously comparing a bunch of teenagers to grown, mature women and using that to paint every god damn accuser?  Really?
Where did I say I worked in the school? The first time I saw this happen, I was a student. I didn't realize how organized the teacher's union was until after I saw them pull the same stunt a second time, but I also suspect them for poisoning me at the very end of the 8th grade (during finals week so I'd flunk) and "modifying" my school records in my senior year in high school so that...again...I'd flunk (which I didn't.) Very organized.