Poll

Your beliefs

1. I think the evidence overwhelmingly supports the idea that earth is not a sphere, oblate spheroid, or spheroid.
2. I think the evidence slightly supports the idea that earth is not a sphere, oblate spheroid, or spheroid.
3. I think the evidence neither supports or rejects the idea that earth is not a sphere, oblate spheroid, or spheroid.
4. I think the evidence slightly rejects the idea that earth is not a sphere, oblate spheroid, or spheroid.
5. I think the evidence overwhelmingly rejects the idea that earth is not a sphere, oblate spheroid, or spheroid.

Offline ElTrancy

• God help and forgive me
    • View Profile
A quick poll
« on: December 24, 2019, 01:12:52 AM »
Saw this in a post, and decided to make it into an actual poll, please tell me if this was already posted and I'll take the post down.
Please fucking launch a mininuke at me, I've become hopelessly lost.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: A quick poll
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 09:32:45 AM »
Holy double negatives, Batman. I ended up voting for the rejection of the opposite of what I didn't want to vote for.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 10:04:10 AM »
Evidence doesn't accept or reject it just is.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 10:49:45 PM »

I disagree with this. If you have a theory that John Smith is the murderer and you find DNA on the murder weapon that belongs to John Smith then the evidence supports the theory that John Smith is the murderer.  The evidence can both exist and support a theory.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 01:25:32 AM »

I disagree with this. If you have a theory that John Smith is the murderer and you find DNA on the murder weapon that belongs to John Smith then the evidence supports the theory that John Smith is the murderer.  The evidence can both exist and support a theory.
Yep. Evidence can exist that supports a hypothesis. But said evidence neither accepts nor rejects, the individual interpreting the evidence does that.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 05:16:50 PM »
Yep. Evidence can exist that supports a hypothesis. But said evidence neither accepts nor rejects, the individual interpreting the evidence does that.

What is the opposite of evidence supporting a hypothesis? Since we are arguing semantics here. If your hypothesis is that John Smith is the murderer and you find some evidence: DNA on the murder weapon.

When DNA evidence on the murder weapon matches John Smith you would say

The evidence supports the theory that John Smith is the murderer.

What would you say when DNA evidence on the murder weapon does not belong to John Smith? Since you are arguing semantics about the word "reject"

The evidence ____________ the theory that John Smith is the murderer.

Conflicts with? opposes?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:55:47 PM by iamcpc »

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:23:32 AM »

What is the opposite of evidence supporting a hypothesis? Since we are arguing semantics here. If your hypothesis is that John Smith is the murderer and you find some evidence: DNA on the murder weapon.

What would you say when DNA evidence on the murder weapon does not belong to John Smith? Since you are arguing semantics about the word "reject"

Conflicts with? opposes?
Individual: Accepts/Rejects
Evidence: Supports/Does not support

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 11:07:47 PM »

Conflicts with? opposes?
Individual: Accepts/Rejects
Evidence: Supports/Does not support

So by your logic:
 I think the evidence neither supports or rejects the idea that earth is not a sphere, oblate spheroid, or spheroid.

should be changed to:
 I think the evidence neither supports or does not support the idea that earth is not a sphere, oblate spheroid, or spheroid.

That really does not sound right.  It's very confusing and hard to read. The evidence neither supports or does not support?

What about refute? The evidence neither supports or refutes the idea that earth is not a sphere, oblate spheroid, or spheroid.

I guess you could make your same argument based on semantics. Evidence can support a theory but not refute it. The person does the refuting.

I could also say something like there is not evidence for, or against, the idea that earth is not a sphere, oblate spheroid, or spheroid.

You could make your same argument based on semantics. Evidence can't be for or against something.

So in order to make a sentence which is easier to read I think it's perfectly acceptable, because there is no one good word which is the opposite of supporting when it comes to evidence.

Offline Storm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 05:34:12 PM »
I am very anxious to see the continued results of this poll. I was just about to start one almost identical.

I am also very disappointed in the results, already, which actually confirm my immediate suspicions.

At this time, there are only 16 votes and already there is a significant favor of Flat Earth nay-sayers. That is ridiculous for a Forum with the title Flat Earth Society and indicates corruption, in my humble opinion.

I will be launching a Blog or other website very soon for Flat Earthers ONLY. There is a dire need for a safe-haven for believers and burgeoning believers to be able to share their ideas and nurture their growing suspicions in the Flat Earth topic.

Nobody would attend a church that was completely full of unbelieving skeptics. The majority of skeptics and outright nay-sayers on all Flat Earth Forums online proves that true believers are being systematically run off of these sites and relentlessly belittled for their beliefs and undeniable observations from empirical experiments in their physical world.

You can't hide the Truth, and, by God, you'll never silence it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 05:38:09 PM by Storm »
"...because they received not the love of the Truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the Truth..." (2 Thes. 2:10-12) KJV

"To this end was I born, ...that I should bear witness unto the Truth. Every one that is of the Truth heareth my voice." (-Jesus' words-John 18:37) KJV

Offline RoundLurker

• Lurking since early 2018.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »
I am very anxious to see the continued results of this poll. I was just about to start one almost identical.

I am also very disappointed in the results, already, which actually confirm my immediate suspicions.

At this time, there are only 16 votes and already there is a significant favor of Flat Earth nay-sayers. That is ridiculous for a Forum with the title Flat Earth Society and indicates corruption, in my humble opinion.

I will be launching a Blog or other website very soon for Flat Earthers ONLY. There is a dire need for a safe-haven for believers and burgeoning believers to be able to share their ideas and nurture their growing suspicions in the Flat Earth topic.

Nobody would attend a church that was completely full of unbelieving skeptics. The majority of skeptics and outright nay-sayers on all Flat Earth Forums online proves that true believers are being systematically run off of these sites and relentlessly belittled for their beliefs and undeniable observations from empirical experiments in their physical world.

Oh my goodness, so much wrong with this post it makes my head hurt. Logic is flawed, conclusion wrong, suggestion silly. So because of a flawed experiment, you want a forum where you all... what... just take it in turns to agree with each other?

It will be you and Tom Bishop alone, having a lovely time.

The person in my avatar does not exist, and that's unsettling.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 07:03:16 PM »
I need to change my vote. The double negatives caught me out as I did it whilst trying to find that astronaut interview on KISS ...
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 10:21:36 PM »

It's not paranoia if they're REALLY out to get you...

I will be launching a Blog or other website very soon for Flat Earthers ONLY.

Good Luck with policing the entry requirements on that.

There is a dire need for a safe-haven for believers and burgeoning believers to be able to share their ideas and nurture their growing suspicions in the Flat Earth topic.

There's a dire need for them not to hide away in echo-chambers 

If your observations are "undeniable", then you should be able and willing to stand up for them, not hide away with your "attaboy" fan club. Going by your remarks in the other thread, you appear ready to quit here after 4 posts and barely 6 hours. You really don't sound all that convinced.

...and what IS this "Truth" ?
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 10:51:45 PM »

Storm,

The biggest problem is that there is very little uniformity among the community. There are more FE members on this forum but they just didn't answer the poll. A perfect example is the idea that the horizon always rises to the eye level.

Half of the FE community thinks that statement is false.
Half thinks it's true.

How  can this be taken seriously as a movement when something as simple is that can't be agreed upon.  With so many FE models and concepts and ideas that all do a good job of pointing out possible flaws in the RE system there is no model which does a good job at giving possible other answers.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:53:39 PM by iamcpc »